Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Hi, A lot of this detail is starting to get repeated because the thread is so large. It's best to try to read much of the thread.
    I have been getting 2R5TPE330M9 capacitors on Aliexpress. Most people doing a one off repair get their capacitors on eBay. Search for "SMD Tantalum Capacitor 330uf replace Tokin"

Comment

Originally posted by rievax_60 View Post
      Hi, A lot of this detail is starting to get repeated because the thread is so large. It's best to try to read much of the thread.
      You can say that again!! I'm still making my way through all 42 Pages

Thanks for the confirmation rievax_60, I have 3x A200's to do. So I will see what works out the best.

Tech Enthusiast - Lojix Net

Intel Core i7 3770K | GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD4 | 32GB RAM | Ge-Force 660Ti/OC | Kingston Hyper-X 240GB SSD| Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM​

Web Browsing Powered By Firefox

Comment

Hello! First post here -- just wanted to thank you all for the heaps of work and information that's available here. I was able to fix my Toshiba L305 using Kemet 330uF capacitors, despite being a total noob at soldering.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by brandavies View Post
          Hello! First post here -- just wanted to thank you all for the heaps of work and information that's available here. I was able to fix my Toshiba L305 using Kemet 330uF capacitors, despite being a total noob at soldering.
          Great news

I hope to be reporting the same shortly after my caps arrive!!

Tech Enthusiast - Lojix Net

Intel Core i7 3770K | GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD4 | 32GB RAM | Ge-Force 660Ti/OC | Kingston Hyper-X 240GB SSD| Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM​

Web Browsing Powered By Firefox

Comment

Originally posted by bluecatfish View Post
            Hi Marbc, are the 470uF tantalus working out ok? Seems like most people are using 330uF. If doing good for you I may try them, I am having problems with the 330uF tantalum I used. Thanks
            Hi there Bluecatfish, Yes, toshiba Satellite A305 is working to date. I used NIC 470 uf, 2.5v, ESR 6mO SMD Tantalum capacitors.

Comment

Originally posted by Lojix View Post
              Hey Guys,

Like many others, I have ended up discovering this forum after researching a solution to the common ‘Toshiba random shutdown, slow death’ problem. I purchased a Toshiba A200 years ago and unfortunately have recently joined the mass of other affected owners with this problem.

As the symptoms of my A200 are consistent with others here, I'm prepared and looking forward to getting into a capacitor swap out

Now, sorry if this has been answered already but I thought it would be best to confirm the answer as recent information may have changed... but where is the best place to purchase the capacitors from and is there now a standard "best" or "recommended" type to use in place of the failing NEC/TOKIN Proadlizer Capacitor??

Are there any other owners in the thread that are in Australia that might have recommendations on where to get the Capacitors base on their experiences??

Thanks for all the shared info throughout this thread everybody... and for any advice you can provide!
              Hi Lojix. I ordered the tantalum capacitors from www.rs-online.com here in the Philippines but this same online store is also in Australia. The store is http.//au.rs-online.com/web and the stock no. is RS Stock No. 737-2832. The brand is NIC Components and the specs is 470uf, 2.5v, ESR 6mO, Surface Mount. It cost $4.27 each (in pack of two). I preferred this cap because it has an ESR of 6 mO. Using four of these will give an effective ESR of 1.5 mO which very close to the required ESR.
              I hope this will help you.
              Last edited by Marbc; 03-21-2015, 08:16 AM. Reason: Correction

Comment

O Happy Day! Thanks to the information shared here by Badcaps.net and all the helpful folks out there, my A205-S4577 is back in business. The OE128 cap was cremated, and the 4-pin connector at the mobo end of the DC jack pigtail was obviously overheated. Bought 4 Panasonic Tantalum Capacitors - Polymer SMD 2.5volts 330uF ESR 7mohm (2R5TPE330M7) from Mouser Electronics for $11 shipped in 3 days. Followed directions, working like a champ. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this most excellent thread.

Comment

Hello guys My name Is Jhan, Can i open a New Thread here I cant post new Thread jhanmhaykhel, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
                  I have an acer aspire 4730z and its dead,, i open the laptop and search the defective parts and found that the switch(on/offbtn#) has 17v whats wrong with my motherboard...
                  tnx in advance keep safe every one

Comment

Have done another one yesterday. No pics this time, didn't have my camera with me. I used 4x 330uF scavenged from other boards as always. Runs great.
                    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Hello, and great work guys. I plan on replacing my caps, and I've noticed a few folks have posted saying their display is not working. I have read to page 27 so far and no one has mentioned the display trick.
                      Simply remove your battery and A/C, re-install the battery and hold SHIFT and F5 while pressing the power button. Hope this helps.

Comment

Hi, I was able to solder four Kemet 330uF capacitors (T520V337M2R5ATE009) to a Toshiba A205.

The laptop no longer freezes and is working fine. However, when I "Restart" the laptop, it gets stuck. It seems that it does not power off the system (or probably the CPU) completely within the regular short power-off and -on cycle. I suspect that the new capacitors do not discharge the power quickly enough. When I "Shut down", it turns off fine.

Is everyone experiencing the same problem? If other capacitors are working fine without this symptom, I would like to know which ones. Thank you in advance for your help.

Comment

after a long time ,the notebook start to self restart again when not busy usage, maybe 5-10minute. So i put another 330uF capacitor, total is 5 unit 330uF capacitors. and reinforcement the soldering , because have signs of corroded on the metal.

having this problem when all soldering done, can not power up or no display, AC power LED ON, the one next to it like christmas light, . first thing i check is all the soldering area, reinforcement. then still can not power up. Then i try hold SHIFT and F5. Also no luck. Then i take out the mainboard reset the BIOS, by shock the BIOS battery positive and negative leg using test pen, after this you need to set bios configuration. Put the board back, plugin back all the basic wire and memory. IT POWER UP AGAIN. happy to see the Toshiba Logo.
                          I guessing, is cause by the bad soldering and corroded metal NEC capacitor leg.

This mine story. Toshiba L300.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by zinksoft.net; 06-30-2015, 09:16 PM.

Comment

It's great to see all the success stories on here last time I posted was in 2012 and 3 years later my laptop seems to start to hang again ,so time to replace those caps that have been running for 3 years non stop.

Comment

Hi all!

I have a Satellite A300-1RF (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470) and I'm not sure if I can change the NEC Tokin chip with the 330uF ... as I've read seems that laptops with ATI Radeon will not work if I change the chip ... could you confirm that? thanks!!

on this models, what is the issue? CPU? GPU? I mean, if I buy a new ATI Radeon card, will the laptop work again?

Regards

Comment

Does yours also lock up or exhibits no video? If you have good video and it just crashes or locks up at random, replacing the Tokin capacitor will fix it.
                                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

I replaced the capacitors after 3 years of working well but it still hangs at random intervals ,so I'm trying to troubleshoot (these were caps that were sealed in my drawer for 3 years, so I don't think they are bad), maybe it's some other capacitor , intel vga chip etc...

Comment

First things first, try soldering an extra cap on there. There is another board with a Tokin like that, it's the one in the Acer 6920G, and when the Tokin fails on that one it needs 6 capacitors to work stable.

I had one in last week where someone else had soldered in 4 330uF caps and it still didn't work right. I added 2 more et voila... magic.

Comment

I tried 5 caps and then 6 caps but still hanged in windows at a random interval and sometimes when full reboot I get a thin blue horizontal line just before a black screen before the cursor appears.I found it weird why for 3 years 4 caps would work and now I needed 6 caps so I tried and no result, in meantime I changed HDD 500GB to an older one of 200GB and so far its working for a day or so , so maybe it's the drive or a windows problem but the freeze seemed like a hard-ware issue , I will report what I find.

Comment

Today I've received an A300 with ATI HD onboard with the synthomes you're talking about.

I would like to try to fix it installing caps before change the Tokin.

WHat and how many caps should I solder near the Tokin? Is it possible to find those caps on another laptop motherboard?

Comment

Originally posted by fabiog View Post
                                          I tried 5 caps and then 6 caps but still hanged in windows at a random interval and sometimes when full reboot I get a thin blue horizontal line just before a black screen before the cursor appears.I found it weird why for 3 years 4 caps would work and now I needed 6 caps so I tried and no result, in meantime I changed HDD 500GB to an older one of 200GB and so far its working for a day or so , so maybe it's the drive or a windows problem but the freeze seemed like a hard-ware issue , I will report what I find.
                                          To continue, the problem is software related the latest antivirus program update was causing the freezing, I feel so silly now lol.
                                          I didn't have to open the laptop and resolder new caps but since the symptom made me think it was related to the caps I only reinstalled the VGA driver and then went straight for the board ,the key thing to remember with this motherboard and NEC problem is that it hangs + shutsdown.
                                          I'm glad it's working now and I wont be replacing the new caps I added it will have to stay like this .

Comment

Working...
                                          X