X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Hello
    .....my stupid question of the day!

Can I use normal electrolytic capacitors instead of Tantalum ?

or, I can add to the nec tokin a capacitor instead of replacing it ?

Tnx!

Acer 6920G

Comment

Originally posted by Alessio View Post
      Hello
      .....my stupid question of the day!

Can I use normal electrolytic capacitors instead of Tantalum ?

or, I can add to the nec tokin a capacitor instead of replacing it ?

Tnx!

Acer 6920G
      They need to meet the following criteria:

1) They will need to be short enough so that you can put back the laptop together properly afterwards. You're supposed to use V case size tantalum, which is 2mm high. You might be able do get away with D size tantalums, which are 2.8mm high...
      2) They need to have an ESR of 0.015. Maybe you can get away with a higher ESR, but not that much higher. A preliminary search on Digikey reveals no suitable Ultra-Low ESR radial electrolytic or polymer capacitors.

So practically, the answer is no. You can use either ceramic caps or chip-type caps (Tantalum, niobium, organic aluminum).
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Thanks mockingbird!

http://myboct.blogspot.it/2011/09/to...c-adapter.html

Is a bad fix or good idea?

Comment

please visit my blog http://newbielaptop.wordpress.com/20...-kerusakannya/

Comment

Originally posted by Alessio View Post
            Thanks mockingbird!

http://myboct.blogspot.it/2011/09/to...c-adapter.html

Is a bad fix or good idea?
            I don't like it. There are small traces there and small components, personally I think it's easier doing it the regular way.
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Yep... Just rip apart the Tokin and solder the new capacitors in its place.
              Originally posted by PeteS in CA
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
              A working TV? How boring!

Comment

can i replace tokin with this type http://id.mouser.com/ProductDetail/A...1IGMRLIg%3D%3D

Comment

Originally posted by holmes222 View Post
                  The ESR is too high. Most of us use capacitors with 9 milliohms of ESR which is 100X better than 0.9 ohms. I use 2R5TPE330M9.

Comment

After I remove the NEC tokin 128, with CPU installed, the outer + strip is shorted with inner - strip, is this normal?
                    I not yet solder the new capacitor on the board.

Comment

Yes it is normal. The CPU has a low internal resistance and you're mistaking that for a short. As long as it reads anything else than 000 on your meter it is not a dead short, and it is normal for such a low voltage, high current circuit.

I understand that if you remove the CPU, the "short" goes away. If so, there is no problem with the board. Go ahead and solder your tantalum capacitors and it will work fine.
                      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

What is the maximum height and leakage current of the capacitor that may be used?
                        Last edited by Marbc; 01-10-2015, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                          Yes it is normal. The CPU has a low internal resistance and you're mistaking that for a short. As long as it reads anything else than 000 on your meter it is not a dead short, and it is normal for such a low voltage, high current circuit.

I understand that if you remove the CPU, the "short" goes away. If so, there is no problem with the board. Go ahead and solder your tantalum capacitors and it will work fine.

OK, understand.
                          Before I solder the tantalum capacitors, if I power on the motherboard, will I get any voltage between outer + strip and inner - strip ?

Comment

Of course, but it is really NOT a good idea to power it on without capacitors as you may damage the MOSFETs.

Comment

hey guys thanx for the great work!

is it safe enough to leave the CPU in when carrying out the work (especially the soldering)?

Comment

Originally posted by grotkilla View Post
                                hey guys thanx for the great work!

is it safe enough to leave the CPU in when carrying out the work (especially the soldering)?
                                Yes, I think so, I leave it in every time. I have not been able to realize any possible risk. So long as you are using the same method of prying the old capacitor from the PCB.

Comment

the best method to replace nectokin
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi peoples, I have an A300 that needs to have the NEC Tokin 0E907 replaced. Now I am a novice at this sought of thing, so can some please post a complete fix: this would be from the removal of the Tokin, cleaning the 4 strips and how to solder the 4 new capacitors, including the soldering method, Photos of each stage. Also, what one has to to do to determine the corrects Tantalums. I have seen these Tatalums on ebay where they state them as being a replacement for the Nec Tokin 0E907. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4x-SMD-Ta...-/330953629462 Thanks peoples

Comment

Would these caps do the job for my previous post.
                                      http://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/K...1myMofWw%3D%3D

Comment

These are a better match:

http://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/K...sMqWJK5Fxn0%3d

Comment

Originally posted by benmah View Post
                                          I have nec tokin Oe128 replaced with 4x 330e75 tantalum cap (i believe it a 330uf 2.5V cap). It works perfectly without fail after one yrs but I think it has cause my build-in multi card not to work any more from the beginning. Then I replace it with the orignal nec tokin 0e128. It still works but 2 month till now it starts to show sign of failing. It happen few days ago 3 times cut off suddenly. Now I plan to put back the 4 x 330e75 cap. Don't waste time on the 0e128 cap as it is not durable. I believe it has a 5000hrs life span on a ideal condition from the datasheet. Take a look at the pic. I use only a normal soldering gun. I just break the 0e128 with a test pen and small long nose pliers carefully. Clean up the contacts. Then carefully solder. Hope this helps U guys out there.
                                          Did you solded the 4 caps touching one in the other?
                                          It seems that they are touching one with each other...
                                          Can you explain better how I must put they, and is possible to all this procedure just with an normal soldering gun. even remove the Nec cap...?

Comment

Working...
                                          X