Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Hi folks, just thought I'd double-check / cross-check here on a fault.

Received an A300 the other week from client, usual symptoms, machine won't stay on, thought it was the typical TOKIN problem, replaced it with a 10x 100uF 1206 ceramic array, but the symptoms are still there. Looking closer I noticed that the power icon light flashes from white -> orange -> white a couple of times before it shuts down just prior to getting underway with booting after the POST.

Still a cap fault / TOKIN issue... or does this sound like something else completely?
    YouTube Repair Videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/19PLD73
    FlexBV BoardView software - Linux/OSX/Windows - http://pldaniels.com/flexbv

Comment

Does it have a Radeon GPU or IGP?
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

People I need you´re help, I Got a toshiba satellite L40-18L from portugal where it has the symptoms of the other toshiba´s here (Doesn´t start, when he does sometimes he shutdown at any time) but this doesn´t have the Nec chip...
        Only 5 smd black components that I didn´t even know if they are capacitors or diodes...
        Some say 330 7NMq and the others 100 821BE...
        what is this and how can I measure them?
        Last edited by mcrap; 02-20-2015, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Hi everyone! I have a question regarding the four foil strips where the TOKIN is mounted. Are the two inner negative foil strips connected together? Or can the two negative foils be soldered together?

Comment

If it's a Toshiba Satellite A200 or A300 or similar, then yes, the two inner tinned copper areas that look like strips are part of the one continuous piece of PCB copper print. The space in between is just covered with green Solder Resist.
            There is no need to connect them. There may be a need to connect them on other brand mainboards.
            DO NOT scratch the PCB as others have done, if you don't want to ruin your mainboard.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
              Does it have a Radeon GPU or IGP?

No. Just a standard Intel Centrino model, no nVidia GPU.

Comment

What's the full model?
                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Anyone can help me?

Comment

Originally posted by rievax_60 View Post
                    If it's a Toshiba Satellite A200 or A300 or similar, then yes, the two inner tinned copper areas that look like strips are part of the one continuous piece of PCB copper print. The space in between is just covered with green Solder Resist.
                    There is no need to connect them. There may be a need to connect them on other brand mainboards.
                    DO NOT scratch the PCB as others have done, if you don't want to ruin your mainboard.
                    Thank you so much for the info rievax_60. The reason I asked the question was because I planned to solder a thin copper foil over the two inner negative terminals; but now with you info, I would just scrape off the solder resist to expose the copper print so as to make it easier to solder four tantalum capacitors on it. Thanks for the help.
                    Last edited by Marbc; 02-23-2015, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Just to make this clear. It's ok to scrape Resist from copper areas. You must not scrape or scratch any exposed fibreglass areas.

Comment

OK I got it. Thanks

Comment

what's the full model?
                          a300 ; psag4a-02m00m

Comment

Originally posted by inflex View Post
                            a300 ; psag4a-02m00m
                            As I suspected. Your model has an "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650" GPU. What you need is to do is to reball the chip to get it working again.

If you don't want to invest that kind of money, I suggest you sell the CPU. T9300 should go for $50+ alone.

Comment

No solution for the Problem of the Toshiba Satellite L40-18L?
                              It doesn´t turn on and when he does he just take a few seconds or minutes to shutdown for himself...

Comment

As I suspected. Your model has an "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650" GPU. What you need is to do is to reball the chip to get it working again.

If you don't want to invest that kind of money, I suggest you sell the CPU. T9300 should go for $50+ alone.
                                when have a ATI and nvidia GPU onboard. really nothing can be done already. try so many time remain failed. feel like manufacturing design the board this way, 2-4 yrs new notebook, wow.

Comment

Originally posted by mcrap View Post
                                  No solution for the Problem of the Toshiba Satellite L40-18L?
                                  It doesn´t turn on and when he does he just take a few seconds or minutes to shutdown for himself...
                                  That's PSL48E.

I'm pretty sure this motherboard doesn't have the Nec/Tokin capacitor. You're problem is most probably something else.
                                  Originally posted by zinksoft.net View Post
                                  when have a ATI and nvidia GPU onboard. really nothing can be done already. try so many time remain failed. feel like manufacturing design the board this way, 2-4 yrs new notebook, wow.
                                  I'm pretty sure you can get re-balling done inexpensively in Malaysia, no?

Comment

Right, well that caught me off guard then. Not really going to bother with the reballing, don't have the equipment on hand to do the job right ( while I do reflows in the oven, and hot air, I really don't like doing BGAs without an infrared workstation )

Many thanks for your time in assisting me.

Comment

Please please help me with this problem fix

I recently fixed my Toshiba A300 using 4x SMD Tantalum Capacitors 330uf 2.5v
                                      and its still going great.

So I got out my other A300 and decided to do the same fix, WITH BIG PROBLEMS.

When I turn the Laptop on it fires up initially with only a black screen then about 20 seconds later it turns off. HELP

So I've taken the caps off, on the mother borad I tested the + & - with a meter and the ohms reading is 0.00, IS THIS NORMAL

What should I do now, I tested the caps the meter reading starts out with a low reading then rises to about 19.8 the decreases, IS THIS A GOOD SIGN?

PLEASE WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW?????

Comment

Re: Please please help me with this problem fix

Originally posted by bonniedoon View Post
                                        I recently fixed my Toshiba A300 using 4x SMD Tantalum Capacitors 330uf 2.5v
                                        and its still going great.

So I got out my other A300 and decided to do the same fix, WITH BIG PROBLEMS.

When I turn the Laptop on it fires up initially with only a black screen then about 20 seconds later it turns off. HELP

So I've taken the caps off, on the mother borad I tested the + & - with a meter and the ohms reading is 0.00, IS THIS NORMAL

What should I do now, I tested the caps the meter reading starts out with a low reading then rises to about 19.8 the decreases, IS THIS A GOOD SIGN?

PLEASE WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW?????
                                        I didn't follow all of that. The +&- on the PCB where the NEC/TOKIN capacitor was should be about 5 ohms with the CPU in its socket and in the K ohm range with the CPU out.
                                        Best to show us a photo of what you have done. Others have ruined their mainboards by too much scratching trying to clear shorts.

Comment

Re: Please please help me with this problem fix

Originally posted by rievax_60 View Post
                                          I didn't follow all of that. The +&- on the PCB where the NEC/TOKIN capacitor was should be about 5 ohms with the CPU in its socket and in the K ohm range with the CPU out.
                                          Best to show us a photo of what you have done. Others have ruined their mainboards by too much scratching trying to clear shorts.
                                          Thanks for your help rievax. here is a photo of the caps on the board. Today I took the 4 caps off then replaced with 5 of the same.
                                          Now when you turn the laptop on, it immediately turns off. Sometimes when you turn it on, the hard drive light flashed then turns off, then it switches on for a 1/2 a second then turns off.

The caps I used on the previous A300 success shows ( 330 e67 ) on the front. However the ones I used on this A300 shows ( 330 e12 ).

Comment

Working...
                                          X