Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASUSPRO P2520LA - was: NO POWER, CHARGER OK. Now: multiple issues and won't power on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASUSPRO P2520LA - was: NO POWER, CHARGER OK. Now: multiple issues and won't power on.

Hi

Need some help trying to fix a ASUSPRO P2520LA.

Backstory:
    -------------

This laptop was bought to me because it had been with another repair shop for 3 weeks; and they hadn't been able to fix it. He was fed up, so he brought his laptop to me.

The laptop came to me as NO POWER, CHARGER OK.

Story so far:
    ---------------
    Straight away I would that the DC socket centre pin socket was damaged and, when tested, only around ~2V could be measured come from the DC socket. While I had the motherboard sitting on my workbench, I suddenly noticed a quick flash and a puff of magic smoke. The component that went up in smoke was U3001, a IT8585E FXS (a "Input Output Management Power Chip").

I bought this IC.

I have also just found this listing:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Programme...-/113716514630

I have bought a IT85885E FXS IC from the first listing and have soldered it to the motherboard, along with a new DC socket.

Could any tell me if the IT85885E IC I bought needs to be programmed? If yes, how?

or should I just buy another one pre-programmed?

Current issues:
    -----------------
    I have replaced the IT85885E and the DC socket. When the charger is plugged in, I get no lights. Also I don't get fan spin when the power button is pressed.

The second issue is that RTL8111GUX Ethernet Controller gets very hot when the charger is plugged in. Confirmed it was that IC by putting some IPA on the suspected area, then plugged in the charger and waited to see where the IPA boiled or dried up first.

Questions:

Is the laptop not turning on, because:

1) The RTL8111GUX is knackered and needs replacing?

2) The RTL8111GUX is OK, but is it heating up because the IT85885E is not programmed?

3) The RTL8111GUX is knackered (and needs replacing), and the IT85885E is not programmed?

Please help!

Thanks David

Notes:
    REALTEK 8111GUX RTL8111GUX QFN32 Integrated 10/100/1000M Ethernet Controller

Re: ASUSPRO P2520LA - was: NO POWER, CHARGER OK. Now: multiple issues and won't power

IT8585E is programmable and you need kbc programmer like svod etc to do the job. As far as Lan chip is concerned ,you can just remove it. You can power the mb without it with no risk. However, unless the kbc is programmed, i'm afraid its not likely to turn on.

PS: Dont forget to clean the pads after lan chip removal.

Comment

Re: ASUSPRO P2520LA - was: NO POWER, CHARGER OK. Now: multiple issues and won't power

If the KBC went up in smoke, check ICs responsible for power rails. This is likely to happen when a mosfet for 3.3V coil or so gets shorted out and sends full 19V to the rest of the board. Now the KBC sometimes too gets powered directly from 19V as well but through a resistor so it is less likely to blow up from that. Also that KBC is programmable, you use the keyboard socket to do this and a special programmer is needed.

Comment

With the Ethernet controller shorted, the usual cause is that the laptop gets a lightning strike through the Ethernet port. Obviously the Ethernet controller has to be removed (and then replaced — but can be done later, it's not needed for troubleshooting the rest of the board). And then other components can be affected, such as the EC in this case.
        The EC ITE IT8585E indeed needs to be programmed. You can buy a pre-programmed one and hope it works (they're not always good), or buy a programmer for it. Vertyanov, SVOD, RT809F+PEB1… You have to find the correct EC dump for the machine, you can ask in the BIOS request section if you cannot find it.
        OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

If you replace the RTL8111 that might need programming too if its detected but there`s no MAC address.
          All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Working...
          X