Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony Vaio VGN-N31M No Power - DEAD

Hi guys,

I have a Sony Vaio with Motherboard MBX-160 MS72 that have no power, no lights, nothing..

I checked pin8 of Bios Chip and it only have 0.20v ..
    Power button only have 0.20v too..

What could it be? Some help?

Thanks in advance
    Attached Files

Re: Sony Vaio VGN-N31M No Power - DEAD

1. check if you have around 19v at PR1 (DCBATOUT).
    2. check PU3. It gives 3.3v to U16 (FLASH BIOS) and U15 (SIO)

Comment

PR1 have 0 volts.... :/
      Last edited by rmps; 03-03-2014, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Is PQ3 burnt up? There looks like there might be a mark at its top right corner?
        Dell E7450 | i5-5300U | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by spleenharvester View Post
          Is PQ3 burnt up? There looks like there might be a mark at its top right corner?
          No m8..

That´s solder paste because i´ve already replaced PQ1, PQ2 and PQ3...

Comment

Ah okay, is there any schematic out?

Comment

check pf1 fuse
              and here is the schematic
              Attached Files

Comment

Definitely check PF1. Check PQ2 also.

Comment

Definitely check PF1. Check PQ2 also.
                  PF1 is good

PQ2
                  pin1- 19.86v
                  pin2- 19.86v
                  pin3- 19.86v
                  pin4- 19.86v
                  pin5- 0v
                  pin6- 0v
                  pin7- 0v
                  pin8- 0v

Also: this is a MS72 board, not MS70 like the schematic above.

I think this is the right schematic for this board.

Thanks in advance
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by rmps; 03-04-2014, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Right, so it appears there is a short on DCBATOUT. Here is what I would personally do:

1) Measure the resistance of pins 5/6/7/8 of PQ2. I am assuming there probably isn't a short because otherwise there'd be 0v on pins 1/2/3/4.

2) If no short is present, work your way around that diagram and try to find a short. I would personally check PD1, and PD6 first.

3) If you find a short, start removing components one by one to find the source.

You may find the MAX chip needs replacing, it's entirely possible.

EDIT: If you did find a short, I would assume either PD6, PC22 or PC24 have gone open circuit, because otherwise it would be 0v on pins 1/2/3/4 too. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
                    Last edited by spleenharvester; 03-04-2014, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Right, so it appears there is a short on DCBATOUT. Here is what I would personally do:

1) Measure the resistance of pins 5/6/7/8 of PQ2. I am assuming there probably isn't a short because otherwise there'd be 0v on pins 1/2/3/4.

2) If no short is present, work your way around that diagram and try to find a short. I would personally check PD1, and PD6 first.

3) If you find a short, start removing components one by one to find the source.

You may find the MAX chip needs replacing, it's entirely possible.

EDIT: If you did find a short, I would assume either PD6, PC22 or PC24 have gone open circuit, because otherwise it would be 0v on pins 1/2/3/4 too. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
                      SO, i was about to measure what you´ve told me but PD6 is not present... O.o (WTF?)

Check picture:
                      (already replaced PC30,PC23,PC22,PC28 and PC24)
                      Attached Files

Comment

That's pretty weird. Check around for other empty component pads on the board, are they tinned like that one is?

Also PC26 and PC27 have what looks to be dry joints and also a blob in between them that could migrate. Maybe worth taking a look at.

Aside from that, if the other empty pads on the board are all tinned, I'd just assume it was removed from the design for a reason and carry on without it. Especially if there is a short.

EDIT: It's right next to PC22. Is it possible you accidentally desoldered it when replacing PC22?

Comment

Dont know why but PC26 and PC27 are shorted to ground.. The dry joints means that i´ve already took them apart from the board to see if the short was still there... and it was :/

Comment

That's pretty weird. Check around for other empty component pads on the board, are they tinned like that one is?

Also PC26 and PC27 have what looks to be dry joints and also a blob in between them that could migrate. Maybe worth taking a look at.

Aside from that, if the other empty pads on the board are all tinned, I'd just assume it was removed from the design for a reason and carry on without it. Especially if there is a short.

EDIT: It's right next to PC22. Is it possible you accidentally desoldered it when replacing PC22?
                            No my friend... I´m preety sure that PD6 was never there.....

Comment

PC26 and PC27 are on the same line as DCBATOUT. Are you able to confirm that there is a ground short on the whole of that line? On PC8 etc?

Comment

PC26 and PC27 are on the same line as DCBATOUT. Are you able to confirm that there is a ground short on the whole of that line? On PC8 etc?
                                As you can see on the picture, there is no PC8. But all of that is shorted..
                                PC16, PC15, PC14, PC8, PC13, PC4, PC5 and PC1 (All shorted to ground)
                                Along with PC26 and PC27 of course.

EDIT: This PQ6 seems suspicious to me. It´s an AO4606. What do u think?
                                EDIT 2: PQ6 pin1 and pin3 are shorted to ground too.... :/
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by rmps; 03-04-2014, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rmps View Post
                                  EDIT: This PQ6 seems suspicious to me. It´s an AO4606. What do u think?
                                  We are on the same train of thought.

Test for presence of short on PC13 throughout this.

1) Remove PR1 and identify which side of its pads the short is on. As we both know, it will probably still be the DCBATOUT side.

2) Remove PQ6 and test which side of the pads the short is on, if it is still there. Afterwards, leave PQ6 removed for now.

3) If we are unlucky and the short is still there, I would personally remove PQ3 and PD1.

If the short is still closest to the DCBATOUT side with PC13 on, that narrows it down to either that row of caps, or MAX itself. As well as PC26 and PC27 don't forget.

If you still can't find the short it will likely be in another area, but we can cross that bridge if it comes to it.

EDIT: Pins 1 and 3 being shorted are to be expected.

Comment

Thank you my friend!

Will do just that! But tomorrow... Dinner time here

Thank you once again!
                                    Regards

Comment

Good luck! I get frustrated as hell when I end up having to remove components haha.

There's always the chance that something connected to DCBATOUT is shorted too, something I forgot about in my last post. But first things first.

Comment

My friend..

After removing PC1/PC4/PQ3/PD1/PC26/PC27/PQ6/PC30/PC23/PC22/PC28/PC24/PR1/PL1/PL2/PL3 and PL4 the short is still there!!

OMGGGGGG

What the hell is going on in this motherboard? Witchcraft? O.o

DAMN!

Comment

Working...
                                        X