Excruciatingly slow bios Dell E5570 LA-C641P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excruciatingly slow bios Dell E5570 LA-C641P

Hi, a once-good board has suddenly developed a fault where it runs slow - I mean REALLY REALLY SLOW. With no peripherals attached (including no SSD/HDD), the bios screens can actually be seen redrawing/refreshing themselves and it takes 30 mins+ to boot an o/s off a USB stick. All the PS coil voltages are normal and everything on the board looks fine (and works fine). I have a couple of good working boards for comparison but can't find any difference between the 2.

The problem is definitely not the bios.

I've changed 2 of the crystals to no avail.

What could it be?

Re: Excruciatingly slow bios Dell E5570 LA-C641P

Originally posted by pingaroon View Post
    Hi, a once-good board has suddenly developed a fault where it runs slow - I mean REALLY REALLY SLOW. With no peripherals attached (including no SSD/HDD), the bios screens can actually be seen redrawing/refreshing themselves and it takes 30 mins+ to boot an o/s off a USB stick. All the PS coil voltages are normal and everything on the board looks fine (and works fine). I have a couple of good working boards for comparison but can't find any difference between the 2.

The problem is definitely not the bios.

I've changed 2 of the crystals to no avail.

What could it be?
    Hello, did I ever have a similar problem in the psid area, does the charger detect it in the bios in the battery status section, and shows the watts of the charger? or problem in the in.

Comment

Originally posted by aldopc View Post
      Hello, did I ever have a similar problem in the psid area, does the charger detect it in the bios in the battery status section, and shows the watts of the charger? or problem in the in.
      Hi, I'll check that tomorrow and report back, thanks. I did check the voltage on the ID pin earlier today and it is normal (3.3v).

Comment

Abscence of PS-ID data from the charger will result in the CPU being throttled to the slowest speed and disable battery charging. 3V on this line doesn't prove anything; serial data is issued from a one wire chip in the charger to the EC and only appears as a short burst when power is first provided.

Comment

Originally posted by reformatt View Post
          Abscence of PS-ID data from the charger will result in the CPU being throttled to the slowest speed and disable battery charging. 3V on this line doesn't prove anything; serial data is issued from a one wire chip in the charger to the EC and only appears as a short burst when power is first provided.
          Hi, 90W and 65W Dell chargers are both recognised normally in the bios (and both work normally on other boards), so it's not the charger.

I've swapped out plenty of bad charger id diodes (PD6 in this case) in the past where the charger cannot be detected, but this board runs even slower than boards where the charger is not detected! Throttling on steroids!

*headscratch*

Comment

To me, it is still the fault of the bios that is currently onboard.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
              To me, it is still the fault of the bios that is currently onboard.
              Hi - I used the same (me cleaned) bios in the other 2 (identical spec) good boards where it is flawless. I even tried with 2 or 3 other bioses from the tinternet but all with the same result: SLOW. Also, it was working perfectly with that bios and the fault suddenly appeared

Bad EC, PCH? I have no idea...

Comment

Once you enter the bios -> have you tried to load safe defaults? Perhaps some incorrect setting that needs to be refreshed.

Comment

Once you enter the bios -> have you tried to load safe defaults? Perhaps some incorrect setting that needs to be refreshed.
                  Yes, I've tried every possible combo, but no difference.

Comment

Interestingly, the bios is saying the cpu is running normally at 2.40 GHz, but it's still so slow, so could the cpu be toast?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Disconnect anything and everything on this logic board that can be disconnected ie. ssd / drive / USB / etc. Then see if this boots normally.

Could a key on the keyboard be stuck? Causing the keyboard buffer to be flooded?

Comment

Disconnect anything and everything on this logic board that can be disconnected ie. ssd / drive / USB / etc. Then see if this boots normally.

Could a key on the keyboard be stuck? Causing the keyboard buffer to be flooded?
                        There is nothing connected. Just the bare board and a USB keyboard, which is known good.

Comment

Working...
                        X