Dell Dimension 4700 MB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Dimension 4700 MB

Hi everyone.This is my first post(well after my intro yesterday) requesting help.My dimension 4700 has stopped working;no posts or beeps,shuts off after about 3 secs.I've replaced first the PSU and then CPU(another Pentium 4).They don't correct. In examining the MB I see one capacitor that is bulging; the 3300 uF. I have enclosed a picture of the entire MB and one showing the bulging capacitor.
    I have a number of questions but there are 2 foremost ones?Is this MB worth repairing? The machine is about 8 years old but is fine for my purposes particularly with the upgrades I've made. If I can get another year or two out of it I'm satisfied
    Second would that one capacitor be enough for the MB to fail?
    BTW in examining the MB I find no evidence of capacitors leaking or any type or scorching.
    Any advice is appreciated.

thanks
    Attached Files

Re: Dell Dimension 4700 MB

Hi and Welcome to Badcaps Philpc
    The question weather it's worth repairing or not can only be answered by you...

It looks like your mobo only has one capacitor of the model UCC KZG?
    If so it is likely to be all you need to replace, do be forewarned that KZG can fail without bulging so if there are more replace them aswell...
    That capacitor probably controls the voltage to the chipset and if that is out of whack the computer wont be able to start...
    Note that you need to replace it with a low esr capacitor matching the one installed currently, e.g. Radio Shack do not sell suitable replacements...
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Thanks so much! Appreciate the help. Now exactly what type of capacitor is that? I am going to sites recommended and while have a basic understanding of the physics of capacitors I do not know all the various types.

thanks again

Comment

Never mind the above post. I just figured it out.Will order and replace and let you what happens.Thanks again for the help!

Comment

If you have not already placed the order would you mind posting what you are gonna get?
          Just so we can give you a confirmation if it's a known good brand and good replacement capacitor
          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Forgot to check back I bought a Nichicon;same voltage and capacitance.It's a little shorter but I figure that should not matter. Please advise if I'm wrong.

Comment

that is not enuff information. u need to provide the series/model of the capacitor as well. general purpose caps will not do. generally a suitable nichicon replacement for ucc kzg shud be hm, hn or hz series. the best is to provide a pic of the replacement capacitor.

Comment

Glad I asked.This capacitor has "VZM" on it It was sold as a low ESR but did still buy the wrong thing? Here are a couple of pics.
                thanks again

BTW
                Since I posted this I have been able to remove the blown one and today went back and cleared the old solder from the MB.Hoping this thing can come back to life.
                Attached Files

Comment

That isn't low ESR.

Comment

that looks like its probably the input vrm cap for your northbridge. You're looking for a nichicon HM or HN

nichicon VZ is a general purpose cap
                    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Whoops! Glad I asked first.Back to shopping.
                      thanks for the help
                      Last edited by Philpc; 03-09-2013, 05:11 PM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

Could someone direct me to the particular capacitor on one of the reputable sites? I look at sites mentioned on Capacitor Lab and honestly I get lost on some of the sites with the options to sort. I'm looking for a 3300 microfarad/6.3v capacitor.
                        thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Philpc View Post
                          Could someone direct me to the particular capacitor on one of the reputable sites?
                          Why not buy from the guy that provides this site ?

Easiest way I've found to get from the forum to his store is scroll to the very bottom of this page, click on Capacitor Kits, then click Nichicon stock on the left

A Nichicon HZ should do nicely
                          better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Topcat is out of 3300uF caps ATM, although a 2700uF would probably work in place of it.
                            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Think I may have figured out how to use digikey site. Are these Panasonics OK?

http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...J332&vendor=10

thanks

Comment

^
                                You would probably get away with a panny FM, but I'd recommend using this (http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...MPD-ND/2428120) - a Nichicon HM
                                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Thanks I'll go with your suggestion.I couldn't find that one on the site.Will let you what happens when I replace it

thanks again!

Comment

Got the recommended capacitor from digikey. System still does not boot. I'm about to just replace the mb but did reexamine the other capacitors and am wondering about some other ones.
                                    I have picture of one of them and am wondering if it is shot;it's the one to the left of MB screwhole. There are some others like it.I don't know if the coloration on the cap surface is a sign of being shot or just a defect of sorts with the surface paint. If this not these then I'm just tossing the board.
                                    thanks again
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Any ideas anyone?

Comment

There's nothing wrong with the cap in the center of that picture above. However, the big cap above it is Chemicon KZJ - those are known to fail (and many times without any visual signs either). There's also Nichicon HN (and possibly HM) capacitors on your board. Nichicon is actually very good but they had a problem with the HM and HN series manufactured between 2001 and 2004. The replacement Nichicon HM you got from Digikey is fine. However, the original Nichicon HN and HM caps on your motherboard may be affected. Both Nichicon HN and HM will have a date code on them. It usually looks like "H####" where "####" is a 4 digit number in which the first two digits indicate the production year. So if your Nichicon HN caps have date codes H01** to H03**, they are from the affected batch and should be replaced too.

Also, just as a simple check, but did you solder the new Nichicon HM cap the right way with the white stripe on the cap lined up with the white stripe on the board? I don't mean to insult your intelligence with this or anything - just making sure something simple wasn't overlooked (I do that all the time so that's why I ask).

Comment

Working...
                                        X