Need recapping help for Asus A7N8X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need recapping help for Asus A7N8X

I have searched through the forums and spent hours reading posts. I have learned a lot but most of the material is above my head so here goes the newbie question.

I have replaced 8 bad caps on mobo but they are not a perfect fit. The board is Asus A78NX Deluxe and the caps that were bad are : nichichon 3300uf 6.3v .

The problem is I needed 10mm and thought I could get away with 12.5 mm and they don't fit snug to the mobo. One actually sits about 5mm off the board.

This is probably my problem and I am ordering the right size but I have to ask anyway. If the soldering joints are good does it matter that they are not flush to the mobo ? Also, I think when trying to make them fit (if it doesn't fit then force it) I may have bent the posts coming out of one of them before soldering it to the board.

When I power board I get a green light on board but nothing further. I have taken out battery and tried with components connected and with just mobo connected to power. I have also swapped out power supply to rule that out.

I also took into account that the negative is reversed on the Asus board and have them facing in the proper direction.

Before fix, board would power up and boot after several restarts and forced shut downs. Then, it would freeze and have to be restarted again. This is my first attempt at recapping a mobo. I did successfully recap and fix my monitor so I got brave and am trying this.

I have attached some picture of the bad caps and am embarassed to show the recapping but will include them as well.

Thank you
    Attached Files

Re: Need recapping help for Asus A78NX

Not that it matters but the mobo is actually A7N8X - Deluxe

Comment

First to check is that you have the correct pins for the power on button connected to the wires form the power button. Second check all your solder joints, the solder MUST adhere to the copper pads on the motherboard. Third post the original capacitor values and series and the values from the replacements. Also leads longer then 1 inch (2.5 cm) would add to the ESR of the capacitors that you are using so if any of them are too long you will need to shorten them. Also check when connecting the power connectors to the motherboard if they are firmly in place. BTW did you remove the CPU when doing the recap? If not you might have destroyed your CPU with the heat of the soldering iron, and what iron did you use? One more thing to try, replace the old BIOS battery, I have seen mobos not posting due to bad battery.
      Guns don't solve problems. I'll take 12

Comment

Thank you for the reply.

I did not remove the cpu before recapping.....oops. Must not have read that part in the how to section of the forum.

I bought a cheap 60 watt iron for this one time fix. It does not have any type of temp control and has a fine "pencil" tip.

The original caps say Nichichon 6.3v 3300 uf on one side . The other side says HM(M) and 105 c and HO 323 and some HO 324. I don't know how to determine any other values from them.

I bought from digi-key : item # 493-1714-ND.
        Nichichon aluminum 6.3v 3300 uf ;1.65 ripple; 7000hrs @ 105; 12.5 x 20 with 5mm lead space like the ones I removed.

I have checked the pins for the power button several times hoping it was that simple.

Solder joints look good to me. When I take it apart again I will post a picture of the joints.

Comment

Those are PW series (note "General Purpose") - not suitable for most motherboards. You should use HM/HN Nichicons, ZL* Rubycon, or FJ Panasonic...
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

at least you had the sense to notice the markings are reverse on it. I made that mistake once
            Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
            ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Thanks everyone ! I will order the right kind and post back. I guess I will at least improve my skills at soldering. Oh yeah, will remove cpu this time.

Comment

You are moving in the right direction. One thing you should do is read the datasheet of the replacement capacitors before you order and the original capacitors to make sure the replacements satisfy the criteria. The replacements should have equal or higher ripple current then the originals and equal or lower ESR/impendance then the originals. tom66 gave you pointers as to which series to look for as they are high ripple low ESR series.
                Last edited by Koda; 05-06-2012, 04:03 AM.

Comment

Tom66 is correct... You need HM/HN series from Nichicon, not PW. I've done an A78N-X Deluxe...

There are also some small caps near the memory slots that should be changed.
                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Can you tell me which caps near the memory slots need to be changed.
                    I have taken some more pictures to include these.

Some are : RLS ; Teapo ; GSC ;KZG

Thank you.
                    Attached Files

Comment

ALL of it...

I would do a total motherboard re-cap as it seems you got them scattered all throughout the motherboard...

The HM you replaced with PW... You can use HM again to replace those bulged HM caps... It's safe because the newer HM caps are reliable unlike the batch used at that time. I personally used Samxon GC because that is what I had.

Topcat has a kit available on his site, but it is incomplete as it doesn't include the smaller value caps.

Make a list of all the caps on the board in the following format:

1) 6.3V 3300uF Nichicon "HM" 10mm x 25mm QTY
                      2) etc...

I can then point you to the equivalent parts on Newark (I'm pretty sure they have everything in stock).

I would also urge you to seriously look at the PSU as a PSU from that many years ago must either be in need of an overhaul or replaced completely.
                      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I built this system in 2003 and it has been great for me. I run it 24/7 and have only had issues recently. I knew a few years ago that the caps were bulging and leaking but I never looked into fixing them.....I didn't even know that was possible. I was just going to run it until it died. It wasn't until my monitor died that I came across this website. That is fixed and working again !! It's a Samsung Syncmaster 225BW.

Anyway, here are the caps on the board:

25v 10uf RSM 4mm x 4mm - 3
                        6v 100uf Teapo 5mm x 6mm - 6
                        6.3v 330uf GSC T34c 5mm x 8mm - 2
                        6.3v 820uf KZG 3T 7mm x 14mm - 2
                        6.3v 1000uf RLS ST 7mm x 7mm - 14
                        6.3v 3300uf Nichicon HM(M) 10mm x 25mm - 8 (these were the bloated ones)

I think this is all of them. Had to use a flashlight and magnifying glass to really see them and some I was not able to tell the type.

I actually have a new psu that I bought years ago and never opened until recently to rule out this problem. I plan on building a new system soon but would like to keep this as a backup.

Comment

I doubt if you'd need to replace the small ones without vent stamps. Just replace everything 330uF and up. As the other members have said, go with Nichicon HM series.
                          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

These replacements should work

6.3v 330uf GSC T34c 5mm x 8mm - 2 - http://www.newark.com/panasonic/eeuf...-3v/dp/04M8999
                            6.3v 820uf KZG 3T 7mm x 14mm - 2 - http://www.newark.com/nichicon/uhm0j...-3v/dp/70R1135
                            6.3v 1000uf RLS ST 7mm x 7mm - 14 - http://www.newark.com/nichicon/uhm0j...w%20Capacitors
                            6.3v 3300uf Nichicon HM(M) 10mm x 25mm - 8 (these were the bloated ones) - http://www.newark.com/nichicon/uhm0j...-3v/dp/70R1133
                            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

c_hegge's replacement suggestions look good. Leave the 25V 10uF and 16V 100uF per his advice...

Comment

Thanks guys !! I will update when I get this done.

Comment

Take it easy guys, the first thing he should do is replace those PW's on the vrm to see if the board will work at all. since the thing was booting fine before the recap I doubt that the small ones need replacing, at least not before seeing if the board is viable for a full recap. Otherwise the whole thing would be just a waste of time and money if the board happens to be dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Koda View Post
                                    Take it easy guys, the first thing he should do is replace those PW's on the vrm to see if the board will work at all. since the thing was booting fine before the recap I doubt that the small ones need replacing, at least not before seeing if the board is viable for a full recap. Otherwise the whole thing would be just a waste of time and money if the board happens to be dead.
                                    +1

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                    I would also urge you to seriously look at the PSU as a PSU from that many years ago must either be in need of an overhaul or replaced completely.
                                    Not true. Just because a PSU is old doesn't mean it's bad. Old Delta, HiPro, LiteOn, and Astec PSUs are usually very well built and can last for a very long time. With that said, I do agree with you that the PSU should be opened and checked for bad caps. While at it, also note the brand and model number of the PSU - this will tell us if it's a good PSU or not. PSUs from Delta, HiPro, LiteOn, and Astec are always worth recapping.

Comment

Not true. Just because a PSU is old doesn't mean it's bad. Old Delta, HiPro, LiteOn, and Astec PSUs are usually very well built and can last for a very long time.
                                      I have a Dell branded Delta NPS-250KB B PSU here. It came out of a Dimension 8200 (RDRAM but not Willamette - mest be 2001-2002 vintage)... Almost all of the caps are Rubycon and Nichicon (YXG and PW), but one of the medium sized and ALL the smaller caps (Which I have learned can be critical caps) are Taicons...

Point is, even a _good_ PSU should be looked at after many years...

Comment

Well, I have recapped and get power to board, fans turning on cpu, psu, and case fan . This is an improvement from the first cap attempt with the wrong caps. Unfortunately though, it will not go to POST.

Have cleared cmos, removed battery and moved jumper to clear cmos several times. I had noticed one of the caps felt loose so I removed board and found a bad solder joint. I fixed that joint with new solder but this did not solve my problem. Still no POST.

Remember, before recap I would POST but it was unstable and required several restarts. Since recap, I have never made it to POST.

I am not 100% confident with my soldering skills as I am brand new to this.

Any suggestions ? Thanks.....

Here are some picture of soldering (don't laugh) and mobo with new caps.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X