Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Westinghouse L2410NM 24" LCD power goes on and off, blue light flickers

Just to follow up.

I ended up replacing the entire power supply but found that the backlight would still not turn on. I plugged in an hdmi cable and had it play some music just to confirm that there wasn't damage to the main board.

Replaced the inverter board and the monitor powered up and is running as good as ever.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Comment

To any of the folks who replaced their bad caps, do you still experience the screen momentarily turning off?

Comment

I still have the problem in one of my two affected monitors. The problem turned out to not be the capacitors, but the HDCP interface between the monitor and the video card. The problem lies in a chip on the monitor's mainboard. The problem is still unresolved, but I have since bought new monitors to replace those aging monitors.

Comment

Wow, what a great forum this is. First off thanks so much to all who contributed to this thread - both the people with bad lcds and the people who have generously helped them.

My L2410NM LCD has the same symptom as markm75, Renesis13, jfrick and kosh. After a few hours of cap whining, the monitor permanently stopped turning on (now blue power light comes on for a second, then screen flashes very briefly, then blue power light disappears).

I suspected bad caps and started my google search which led me here. I have tried to do this before with a sony receiver that went bad - unsuccessfully.

I have two bloated caps the same ones as Boregy and Renesis13. I have the same boards as Renesis13, jfrick, Boregy, and kosh. However, I believe everyone has just ordered the caps under the heatsink and the four on the inverter board on this thread. I however believe I have a third bloated small
          cap in the attached picture. As you can see there are 3 small caps no one has ordered. 2 brown and 1 black. The black looking bloated to me. The 2 brown look to be 22uF 50V. I cannot read the black one which completely frustrates me because I want to order the caps before I have a chance to remove them.

Does anyone know what size cap that is? Does it look bloated to you?

Here is my part list at digikey that includes the 4 on the inverter board and
          the 7 under the heatsink. I will add the two 22uF 50V ones too. Just need
          the size of the last one.

inverter board:
          P10294-ND (4)

power board (under heatsink):
          P14382-ND
          P14424-ND (2)
          P12417-ND (2)
          P14413-ND
          P12368-ND

power board (two brown small ones):
          P14452-ND (2)

power board (one tiny black one):
          ????

Thanks!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by l2410nm; 07-11-2012, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by l2410nm View Post
            However, I believe everyone has just ordered the caps under the heatsink and the four on the inverter board on this thread.
            If they just ordered what was obviously bloated, then they are ignoring the advice of the regulars which is to replace ALL the electrolytic capacitors. More details in my standard answer (regulars may skip).

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...84&postcount=3

I cannot read the black one which completely frustrates me because I want to order the caps before I have a chance to remove them.
            My guess is it is a 47uF 25V cap (a very common value). If correct, use

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...411-ND/2433545
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks retiredcaps! Going to order. You owe me .33 cents if you are wrong! HAH! Just kidding of course.

Did it look bloated to you?

Comment

Did it look bloated to you?
                Re-read my standard answer in post #125 and see if it matters?
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

You owe me .33 cents if you are wrong! HAH! Just kidding of course.
                  When PlainBill was active posting here, he never admitted to being wrong, only making typos.
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                    Re-read my standard answer in post #125 and see if it matters?
                    I ordered ALL caps, except the huge one and plan to replace ALL caps.

Now, in your professional opinion, is it bad??

Comment

Now, in your professional opinion, is it bad??

It doesn't look bad, but the small caps rarely bloat. For 33 cents, you get peace of mind with a quality Panasonic FR cap (the best money can buy).

I don't have an ESR meter and don't plan to spend $70 or more to buy one when I can get a replacement cap for 33 cents.
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks retiredcaps. You are awesome!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

Good news. Monitor works! Problem is the bad cap 2200uF 10V I ordered is too tall for fitting under heatsink (temp soldered it in anyways). Don't order P14382-ND. It's too tall. I replaced the caps one by one to see which one is the problem. It is the 2200uF 10V one. Will order P12357-ND or P10230-ND Monday. retiredcaps, you have a preference between the two?

Comment

Actually, there is room under the board to solder it in and lay it over. Any reason not to solder the cap into the other side of the board instead?

Comment

GWill order P12357-ND or P10230-ND Monday. retiredcaps, you have a preference between the two?
                              Go with the Panasonic FM

P12357-ND
                              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Put back together and working.

Thanks again to everyone on this forum who contributed to this thread!

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                  If they just ordered what was obviously bloated, then they are ignoring the advice of the regulars which is to replace ALL the electrolytic capacitors. More details in my standard answer (regulars may skip).
                                  I was one of the first to fix a monitor by replacing capacitors earlier in this thread. I ignored the advice to replace all because I wasn't confident in my soldering skills. I instead replaced only the obviously bad one under the heat sink and two bad ones on the inverter board.

However, about a year later the monitor went dead again.

When I took it apart again, ALL caps under the heat sink were bulging, as well as the remaining two on the inverter board. This time, I orderded ALL caps on the power supply (except the big one), including the small ones not under the heat sink. I replaced them all and monitor is working again. Guess I learned my lesson.

Comment

What was your parts list?

Comment

What was your parts list?
                                      Mostly it was the same as the first list you posted (thanks!) but I used the info from the following posts to correct a few.

One of them was a little fatter than the original, but still fit. All the others were identical. The tiny black one was 47uF but I could not read the voltage (the glue covered it).

Parts list, copied from your list and tweaked:

inverter board:
                                      P10294-ND (4)

power board (under heatsink):
                                      P12357-ND instead of P14382-ND
                                      P14424-ND (2)
                                      P12417-ND (2)
                                      P14413-ND
                                      P12368-ND

power board (two brown small ones):
                                      P14452-ND (2)

power board (one tiny black one):
                                      P14411-ND/EEU- FR1E470 (1)

Comment

Hi all, firstly I'd like to thank all those who contributed to this thread since it's inception. I was able to bring my L2410NM back to life a couple of years ago because of this thread, unfortunately like a couple others on here I just replaced the bad ones on the power supply the first time and not all the caps as I should have.

This is gonna be long so please bare with me. For about the past 6 months I'd get intermittent blank screens while using the monitor, it didn't happen very often though so it never really bothered me too much. Unfortunately last week I went to turn the Monitor on and got nothing, the led light on the front was lit but the monitor wouldn't turn on. I assumed it was more bad caps in the power supply, and upon removal and inspection it looked like that was the case. All the old caps were bulging on the power supply, except for the Big one. So I ordered and replaced the caps. I put everything back together and tried to turn it back on, and got nothing, not even the led in the front. I took it back apart figuring maybe I accidentally reversed the polarity on one of the caps, Unfortunately It was worse than that.... the last cap I soldered I forgot to clip the leads and they were crossed and had also touched the chassis when I reassembled everything. So I assumed I'd fried the power supply and ordered a new one. I just installed the new power supply, and guess what? It's still not working, led isn't on in the front and it won't turn on. So I have a couple questions for you gurus.

1) Do you think I fried something else i.e. (backlight invertor or main board) when I installed the power supply with the cap leads crossed?

2) I noticed that the 4 caps on the invertor are all bulging, so I'm assuming I need to replace them as well, but wouldn't the front power Led light still come on regardless of the condition of the invertor? It was on when I first had the problem, even before I tried replacing the caps.

3) Which leads do I need to test on the power supply to measure the output voltage? I have a digital multi-meter and have just enough electrical knowledge to get me in trouble. For the life of me I can't get any dc voltage readings out of the new or old power supply, but then again I'm pretty sure I'm not measuring the right wires.

I really appreciate your help on this guys, I really would like to revive this Monitor. Thanks

P.S. please don't laugh too hard at the lack of my soldering skills, I'm still learning.
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by rusty69; 11-22-2012, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Didnt actually laugh out loud but the story did make me smile
                                          Not sure what we are doing here as you have posted pictures of the old board.
                                          What exactly are we troubleshooting- we can do the old board might be a lot of work
                                          might be simple, who knows.
                                          Or we can do the new board in which case we need pictures of the new board, the main board fronts and backs.
                                          Edit

Was the new board "new" or "tested and working"
                                          Last edited by selldoor; 11-22-2012, 08:14 AM.
                                          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Working...
                                          X