X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Westinghouse L2410NM 24" LCD power goes on and off, blue light flickers

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
    Didnt actually laugh out loud but the story did make me smile
    Not sure what we are doing here as you have posted pictures of the old board.
    What exactly are we troubleshooting- we can do the old board might be a lot of work
    might be simple, who knows.
    Or we can do the new board in which case we need pictures of the new board, the main board fronts and backs.
    Edit

Was the new board "new" or "tested and working"
    LOL, sorry I guess my post was a little scattered, it was pretty late when I posted last night. The first thing I'd like to find out are what leads I need to test for output voltage on the new power supply. It should be fine, as It was purchased as "new" from a fairly mainstream online electronics parts supplier, but I would've expected the power led to at least light up on the front of the monitor. I guess right now I'd just like to verify that the mainboard and invertor are getting proper voltage.

I also was hoping to hear what potential calamities might have occurred when the old power supply was powered up with the cap leads crossed.

Comment

Hopefully the power supply going out will have only affected the power supply. My suggestion would be to forget about it and think only on the new board but keeping in mind that damage may have hit the main board.
      Yes I would have thought the new board would at least light up but really need pictures of the boards as I requested. - You could always ask the seller if the power light should come on when the power is plugged in as you dont really want to be tinkering with it if it is going to be returned.

An alternative would be to try and resurrect the old board- do a few tests on that.
      Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Hopefully the power supply going out will have only affected the power supply. My suggestion would be to forget about it and think only on the new board but keeping in mind that damage may have hit the main board.
        Yes I would have thought the new board would at least light up but really need pictures of the boards as I requested. - You could always ask the seller if the power light should come on when the power is plugged in as you dont really want to be tinkering with it if it is going to be returned.

An alternative would be to try and resurrect the old board- do a few tests on that.
        Thanks for bearing with me. Here are more pics of the mainboard, New power supply and Invertor Board.

I definitely would like to test the old power supply as well, I just don't know where to place the multimeter probes on the board to test for output voltage.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by rusty69; 11-23-2012, 03:29 PM.

Comment

OLD BOARD OLD BOARD

Ok I assume that you have now cut the pins off the offending cap - which one was it Either mark a pic (back of the board)or tell the general area is it near a board number to identify it.

Whilst the part numbers may be the same the boards are a little different.
          Set your meter on ohms 20 or autorange and touch the probes you should get 0.00 or close to.
          On the board back there are several fuses. on this board they are designated
          as F10X - I havent found F101 but there are a cluster in Pic 2 and they have
          either an alpha O or a 0 Zero on them.
          Put a probe to each end and record what you get on each fuse - should be the same as touching the probes.

EDIT F100 is just to the right above the connector and has an S on it
          Last edited by selldoor; 11-23-2012, 04:07 PM.
          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

OLD BOARD OLD BOARD

Ok I assume that you have now cut the pins off the offending cap - which one was it Either mark a pic (back of the board)or tell the general area is it near a board number to identify it.
            Yes I did cut the leads already, unfortunately I don't remember which cap it was. I know it was either one of these two, that are marked by red boxes in the picture. I tested F100, F102, F104, F105 and they all tested 0.0 Ohms, I didn't see an F101 or F103.
            Attached Files

Comment

OLD BOARD OLD BOARD

OK I think they may be on the otherside under the heatsink I perhaps see one with an M on it ( But that is actually on the new board pic.
              Its getting late here so if you want you can check all the things that look like
              fuses with an 0 on they are zero rated resistors used as jumpers but they may have blown like a fuse. Board marking are JXXX and measure 0.00 same as a fuse.
              You may as well test the fuses on the new board but post the result in a separate post. Another thing you can do is to find out on the bottom of the boards the solder joints for the BIG cap that is under the heatsink.
              You have to test that with power to the board and it is HIGH VOLTAGE! 400vDC I or someone will talk you through it.

Comment

OLD BOARD OLD BOARD

Good morning - I should have said the offending cap will have possibly/ probably been damaged - check the two and see if either are completely
                shorted or open. - Resistance check on 200 ohms should do.

Comment

MAIN BOARD MAIN BOARD

Cant see any fuses as such but if you look near the bottom edge there are are two 0 rated resistors R301 and R303
                  check them as if fuses. There are also a number ofvoltage regulators which may have blown. It will help if you can read this guide by retiredcaps

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=261329
                  I might be missing most of today but you have plenty to work on

Comment

My L2410nm has been acting up now. This thread has helped get me started on repair. My screen was flickering and not starting correctly until it warmed up, did it for a week or two before it just kept flickering. I found 3 of 4 capacitors on the inverter board bulged. Changed them and it did nothing. So i got a used working inverter board on ebay for 12 bucks thinking a ballast resistor might be bad(I didnt know how to test). That didnt work so I got all new capacitors for the power supply and even resoldered the transistors cause the solder looked like it might be cracked. That didnt work. The pcb around the transistors looked like it may have been cracked and damaged and brown so I bought a new psu. That didnt work. So I figured im in this far I might as well replace main board, thats got to be it. The new main board doesnt seem to be recognized correctly, I hook it up, plug in power and before I press power the monitor turns on on its own, says 'no signal' then shuts off after a second. The buttons dont work correctly to turn it on, one of the volume buttons has become 'power' another button lets me select 'inputs menu' only briefly before shutting off and not allowing me to select another input because there is no select button working. The cable to the buttons and mainboard is put in correctly. I guess this has another firmware version on it. Also the psu makes a coil whine sound with the new main board connected. I hooked the old main board back up just to see if I can figure out if the processors are bad from cold solder. I turned it on, it flickered away, as it warmed up I pressed down on the heatsinks on main board. Nothing happened but when I tapped it the picture looked like it was trying to stabilize. I wiggled the ribbon cable a bit(CN1) and that seemed to be the culprit. So I cleaned both end of the cable real well and reseated it well and taped it so it couldnt travel out. It worked fine. I put everything back together and played some Skyrim for probably a 1 1/2 hr before it started that terrible flickering again. After I turned it off and walked away in disgust I came back after it cooled and was working fine again until it heats up. So now I am waiting for a new digital multimeter to come in mail and retiring the cheap analogue junker. I will test voltage regulators on main board to see whats going on. Does this scenario seem familiar to anyone? Was the cable connection a coincidence maybe? Anything I am missing here? Thanks for any advice.

Comment

Hi holomike - when it is flickering can you hear any noise from near the inverters
                      I am thinking it might be a faulty bulb or the wiring to them- If te set has done a lote of hours a bulb could be on its way out or the insulation going on one causing it to arc.
                      Can you get into the ends of the bulbs to check.

Comment

I don't believe the bulbs are actually flickering. The LCD panels pixels are what appear to be fluctuating between vibrant colors and blackness(distinct edges like pixels turning off). Sometimes it looks like aurora borealis lights with a trace of light visible around the edges of the panel. Tapping on the side makes the picture come back momentarily. I did open the panel up to look at bulbs and I couldn't see anything physically wrong. No burned looking areas on bulbs or bulbs sockets but I'm not sure if visual inspections mean anything. I will turn it on tonight and look at the bulbs carefully when it starts. I can post a picture of the screen too if that would help to better understand what I mean by flickering.

Comment

Is there a cable in CN2 - have you cleaned that?

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies selldoor. I am not walking away from this thread, so dont be offended by my slow replies. I am appreciative of the help available here. After my post yesterday afternoon I was boxing up that main board for rma but wanted to try it one more time to make sure I had the ribbon cable for the controls in correctly and verify that it was not working before sending it back. I have verified that is is junk to me and being rma'd. After I put everything back together carefully checking that the 2 cables are carefully aligned and in deep as they can be, I have had the monitor on for quite some time now and it still has not malfunctioned. The 6 bulbs produce a tremendous amount of heat that rises to the top vents right where the CN1 and CN2 cables are. I guess that is why the cables are becoming heat sensitve. I will wait and see what happens. I should get a new dmm on monday or tuesday and I can start checking voltage regulators next. Does this sound like it could be a voltage regulator issue at all? I am trying to learn all I can about this stuff. This is my first attempt at fixing a monitor and I am starting to feel like im just shooting in the dark. BTW no i did not clean CN2 as well as CN1 because when I noticed that tapping and sliding my finger on cn1 was bringing picture back I did not notice it when doing the same to cn2. I will clean it next time i take it apart.

Comment

Doesnt bother me not getting instant responses though I dont like it when people just dissappear like Rusty69 (Wonder if they have been electrocuted) Life often intervenes and mending a tv/monitor is suddenly unimportant.
                              Hopefully re-seating CN2 will complete the fix but if not
                              Here are two guides which will assist you in any testing - written by retiredcaps
                              start at post19
                              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10419
                              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=261329

Comment

Originally posted by holomike View Post
                                Thanks for any advice.
                                Hit the enter key once in a while.

Your posts are easier to read if my eyes and brain get a break and can digest what you are saying. Multiple logical paragraphs are easier to read than one long paragraph.
                                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

i need to know what value cap,goes in what # location on the board,i have a
                                  DAC-24M001 POWER SUPPLY.

Comment

If you look on each cap it will tell you?

Comment

what value cap goes in these locations? DAC-24M001
                                      c104
                                      c107
                                      c156
                                      c106
                                      c109
                                      c158

Comment

What caps are in there now? What caps came out - pictures of the board
                                        and caps please.

Comment

there are no caps in the locations i listed,got this monitor from a tv shop,the customer declined the repair,tv shop junked the monitor.now i have it,
                                          the tv shop would let me borrow the service manual for it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X