X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Westinghouse L2410NM 24" LCD power goes on and off, blue light flickers

Originally posted by alexanna View Post
    Something to try,
    With the monitor apart try to position the LCD as it would normally be positioned. I have found problems with ccfl wiring may take much longer to present with the panel laying flat.In its normal position heat will rise and cause a problem to occur much quicker.
    Al.
    I have had the monitor in an upright position since I took the back off. I still have not had the flicker occur again. I did try to briefly hit the power supply with a hair dryer, but did have any luck reproducing the flicker. I'll try again later with a more powerful hair dryer.

Another thing that leads me to believe the problem is related to the capacitors is that there is a loud, high pitched whine when the power is plugged in, but when the monitor is off. It sounds like a capacitor continuously charging. When the monitor is on, it's still there, but at a much lower volume.

Thank you all for helping!

Comment

Without the backing on the monitor, I still get the same amount of flicker so it's not a heat issue for me. I'm beginning to think that the 1000uF cap near the wiring harnesses is the culprit. It's not bulging in the center like you would normally see, but it appears to be bulging around the edges ever so slightly. I'm not sure if you can tell in the picture, but in person the top is not flat like the rest of the caps.

In regards to JoseJX's monitor, is it possible that there is some sort of intermittent grounding going on when the backing is in place? Just a thought because there are several points in which the backing comes close to all of the boards.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Minathevi View Post
        I'm beginning to think that the 1000uF cap near the wiring harnesses is the culprit. It's not bulging in the center like you would normally see, but it appears to be bulging around the edges ever so slightly. I'm not sure if you can tell in the picture, but in person the top is not flat like the rest of the caps.
        Bad caps can cause flicker. I can't tell in the pictures, but caps do not have to be bulging to be bad. They can be out of uF tolerance and/or have high ESR (ohms).
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by JoseJX View Post
          I have had the monitor in an upright position since I took the back off. I still have not had the flicker occur again. I did try to briefly hit the power supply with a hair dryer, but did have any luck reproducing the flicker. I'll try again later with a more powerful hair dryer.

Another thing that leads me to believe the problem is related to the capacitors is that there is a loud, high pitched whine when the power is plugged in, but when the monitor is off. It sounds like a capacitor continuously charging. When the monitor is on, it's still there, but at a much lower volume.

Thank you all for helping!

Looks like they're using some good quality caps. Even good quality caps can go bad working under adverse conditions. They look like UCC KY series caps. Yes, bad caps can cause a whine. Minus the large 450V cap I count something like 9 smaller caps. If you order Panasonic FM/FC series caps from digikey.com, it should run you $11-$12, including shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
            If you order Panasonic FM/FC series caps from digikey.com, it should run you $11-$12, including shipping.
            I noticed that cap prices have increased quite a bit in the last month. Also, I noticed digikey and mouser dropped their discount price for qty=> 10. The new threshold is 50 caps.
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
              I noticed that cap prices have increased quite a bit in the last month. Also, I noticed digikey and mouser dropped their discount price for qty=> 10. The new threshold is 50 caps.
              Yes, Digikey has dropped their qty=10 discount. And it was a great discount while it lasted. Unfortunately, I don't do enough repairs to justify a purchase of 50 caps per value at once. However, I started to look at the UCC KY series caps at digikey and they still offer the qty=10 discount. The specs aren't as good as the Pany FM series, but still acceptable. Digikey is still hard to beat if you're just buying a few caps and use the USPS first class shipping option.

Comment

Guys I think I have the same problem.

I want to take a look inside, but I'm having some trouble getting the metal cage surrounding the electronics off. Any tips?

Thank you.
                Last edited by Boregy; 01-03-2011, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Nevermind, I got it off finally. It was the 2 screwed on the VGA plug that I didn't realize I needed to get off.

Pictures to follow.

Comment

Here's some pics, more to come.
                    Attached Files

Comment

here's the rest. I suspect 2 caps are bad, maybe more.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Boregy View Post
                        here's the rest. I suspect 2 caps are bad, maybe more.
                        You definitely have at least 2 caps. The Capxon cap just right of the fuse KOAC and Capxon underneath the heatsink.

Capxon has a poor reputation here so most will automatically replace any Capxon cap.

What brand is the brown caps?

Replace all the Capxon capacitors with high quality low ESR caps from this list.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2280

Members here like digikey.com and order Pansonic FM caps for replacements. You can also support this site by choosing Rubycon and/or Samxon caps.
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks for the input!

did you mean the two little brown caps near the one big brown cap?

image 73 is of one of the smaller browns, image 74 is of one of the medium browns under the heatsink.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Boregy; 01-04-2011, 12:56 AM.

Comment

did you mean the two little brown caps near the one big brown cap?
                            Those and the ones underneath that big heat shield.

If they are Capxon, replace them all. The main filter capacitor (biggest one) rarely, but not never, fails.
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

ok, I added pics to the previous post.

Comment

ok, I added pics to the previous post.
                                Is there a name on those caps?
                                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I see Capxon written on the back of one of the small ones, and one of the medium ones.
                                  Last edited by Boregy; 01-04-2011, 01:17 AM.

Comment

I see Capxon written on the back of one of the small ones, and one of the medium ones.
                                    Capacitors die from age, heat, and shoddy build quality. Capacitors DO NOT have to be visibly bloated in order to bad. They can be out of tolerance uF (a 1000uF measures 20uF) and/or have high ESR (ohm). A multimeter will be insufficient to test for ESR. For that you need an ESR tester which costs between $50 and $300.

The caps were made in 2007. The P721 denotes 2007 and week 21.

It is not uncommon to see Capxon caps last only 3 years and then die.

Given their poor status here, most suggest replacing all your capacitors. If you live in the USA, you can follow PlainBill's instructions on how to order Pansonic FM or FR caps at digikey. FR are the newest caps and some may be "on order".

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...33&postcount=2

If FM and FR are not available, then choose Panasonic FC.
                                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

So it seems like every capacitor in my monitor is made by CrapXon, I counted 13 I should replace...I've never soldered before, any soldering guides?

Thanks again for the help

Comment

So it seems like every capacitor in my monitor is made by CrapXon, I counted 13 I should replace...I've never soldered before, any soldering guides?
                                        13 new caps + shipping (choose first class - it should be around $2.75 USD and you get it in a couple of days) from digikey should cost less than $15 USD total. I think for a 24 inch monitor, it is worth the $15 cap investment. To put that in perspective, when you buy a new computer monitor in Canada, there is a $12 CDN environmental fee.

The best video for soldering is by CuriousInventor at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4

I prefer using a desolder pump versus a solder wick. You will probably need a 30W or 40W iron.

If you have some junk boards, practice on that first.
                                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

And I forgot this forum has an excellent guide on soldering at FAQ section

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=485
                                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                          X