Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Westinghouse L2410NM 24" LCD power goes on and off, blue light flickers

Originally posted by kosh View Post
    Oh I got the monitor open just fine and I can solder things.

It is one of a set of 4 monitors so I can use the other 3 for now I would just prefer not to get a new one if I don't have to.

It is hard to find a good PVA panel and I really like them for programming work.
    When I did some experiements with TN panels I found that did not work very well with strange color shifting from top to bottom and side to side that I found distrating.

IPS I have not liked as much for text work as PVA panels.
    [/QUOTE]
    There you have the answer. Just remember to use name brand low ESR caps. I prefer Panasonic FM, FR, or FC series. Nichicon United Chemicon, and Rubycon have equivalent series parts.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

The caps on my board are

1 2200uF 10V
      2 680uF 35V
      1 1500uF 16V
      2 1000uF 25V
      1 100uF 25V

This kit matches that.

http://lcdalternatives.auctivacommer...-P1660216.aspx

Would that be okay to get or should I look for something else?

Comment

The caps on my board are

1 2200uF 10V
        2 680uF 35V
        1 1500uF 16V
        2 1000uF 25V
        1 100uF 25V

This kit matches that.

http://lcdalternatives.auctivacommer...-P1660216.aspx

Would that be okay to get or should I look for something else?
        How much is your time worth? Are you in the USA? It took about 10 minutes to come up with these items from Digikey. Add about $3 for shipping by USPS First Class Mail.
        1 1 P14382-ND CAP ELECT 2200UF 10V FR RADIAL 0.94000 $0.94
        2 2 P12417-ND CAP 680UF 35V ELECT FM RADIAL 0.85000 $1.70
        3 1 P12368-ND CAP 1500UF 16V ELECT FM RADIAL 0.85000 $0.85
        4 2 P14424-ND CAP ELECT 1000UF 25V FR RADIAL 0.91000 $1.82
        5 1 P14413-ND CAP ELECT 100UF 25V FR RADIAL 0.33000 $0.33
        Subtotal $5.64

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Okay I put the new caps in and plugged it all back together and the monitor works again. Thanks for all the help guys.

Comment

Hey guys. I want to thank you for all the help on this thread. I followed along since I had a Westinghouse LM2410NM acting up.
            I seem to have the version 2 of the power supply. Here is my order.
            P12415-ND CAP 470UF 35V ELECT FM RADIAL x 2
            P12405-ND CAP 1000UF 35V ELECT FM RADIAL x 1
            P12389-ND CAP 470UF 25V ELECT FM RADIAL x 1
            P12387-ND CAP 330UF 25V ELECT FM RADIAL x 1
            P12924-ND CAP ELECT 100UF 25V FM RADIAL x 3
            P12927-ND CAP ELECT 22UF 50V FM RADIAL x 2
            P10294-ND CAP 100UF 35V ELECT FC RADIAL x 4

My install went great and it was working all week. Today it just began to act up again. Basically it runs fine, then the screen goes black for about 2 seconds then it comes back on. Happens about every 15 minutes. Before repair that interval was getting shorter the longer I had it running. Heat issue?

None of my caps appeared damaged before the repair, but after reading that they still could be a problem I replaced them anyway. I didn't replace the very large cap since they rarely go bad, so maybe thats worth swapping?
            Any ideas on what else could be causing the problem?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by kiwimonk View Post
              My install went great and it was working all week. Today it just began to act up again. Basically it runs fine, then the screen goes black for about 2 seconds then it comes back on. Happens about every 15 minutes. Before repair that interval was getting shorter the longer I had it running. Heat issue?

Thanks!
              Recheck the soldering of all the capacitors you replaced.
              Really sounds as if for some reason you may be losing your secondary voltages briefly. This can happen really fast if you blink you might miss it.
              It may not be fun but you're going to have to see what voltages you are losing. If all your solder joints look good on the capacitors you replaced, I would suggest noting what the voltages are on the connector from the power supply to the logic board when the monitor is working, and see if any of the voltages change when the monitors back lights shut off.
              Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Hey guys. I want to thank you for all the help on this thread. I followed along since I had a Westinghouse LM2410NM acting up.
                (snip cap list)

I doubt it. I can't envisage a thermal recovering in a couple of seconds off-load, given the 15 minutes it takes (a) to warm up to that point, and (b) after the "blink".

None of my caps appeared damaged before the repair, but after reading that they still could be a problem I replaced them anyway. I didn't replace the very large cap since they rarely go bad, so maybe thats worth swapping?
                Doesn't sound like a candidate either, but keep that in mind if nothing else identifies the cause. Check voltages on the PSU board, especially the rail that feeds the inverter section. If that is stable through the blinks, then I'd be suspecting a bad joint in the inverter protection circuitry. If that 12/18/24v/whatever rail wobbles, you are back to looking at the switchmode PSU itself.
                Friends don't let friends buy Samsung ....

Comment

I have a 22: lcd from Westing house. We have the same problem. I posted a video on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ_Q4mf2QdQ

After lots of searching around (and time), I find it is very likely bad caps on the Power supply.

It was exhibiting the same symptoms as yours, but eventually died and now will not power on (this is not shown in the video). It was hit and miss. Sometimes it woudl work and sometimes not.

Now when I hit power, it tries to turn on , but only flickers on for a second, then goes black again. It now makes a whining noise when I plug it up. I cannot tell exactly where the noise is coming from though, even though I took it apart and listened. But I have narrowed down the area of noise. I am currently in the process of trying to replace the caps. Hopefully it works, though, something tells me because it did work, but then recently stopped, I have yet another problem. I guess we will see.

Comment

Upon further research, if your problem with your Westinghouse occurs ONLY on your HDMI input, you probably have HDCP handshake issues. Apparently these particular LCDs are notorious for the problem. I have 2 of these monitors and only one of them actually had bad capacitors. The other has HDCP handshake issues because when using the VGA input, I see no flicker whatsoever. This is unfortunately a software issue and it might not be able to be fixed by component replacement.

The only way that I have found to alleviate the problem is when it occurs, just unplug your HDMI connector from your monitor and plug it back in. It doesn't always work, but it does work temporarily until you turn off your monitor or PC.

Comment

The caps on my board are

1 2200uF 10V
                      2 680uF 35V
                      1 1500uF 16V
                      2 1000uF 25V
                      1 100uF 25V
                      Okay I put the new caps in and plugged it all back together and the monitor works again. Thanks for all the help guys.

Kosh, I seem to have the same capacitor set as you, would you mind posting the exact parts your ordered from your invoice. I want to make sure I order capacitors with the proper dimensions.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Boregy View Post
                        Kosh, I seem to have the same capacitor set as you, would you mind posting the exact parts your ordered from your invoice. I want to make sure I order capacitors with the proper dimensions.

Thank you.
                        Did you look at post #103?

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
                          Did you look at post #103?
                          yes, but kosh doesn't say that he ordered those specific capacitors.

Also, the FM Panasonic 2200uf 10v is backordered, would the FR Panasoncic (P14382-ND) be an acceptable replacement?
                          Last edited by Boregy; 05-10-2011, 12:34 PM.

Comment

I replaced most of the caps, but I hear a clicking sound when I try turn it on and the screen does not power on. Should I just replace the power supply board?

Comment

I replaced most of the caps, but I hear a clicking sound when I try turn it on and the screen does not power on. Should I just replace the power supply board?
                              Not before performing a few simple tests. The first two are easy. With power off, disconnect the cable from the power supply to the inverter. Now plug in the AC power. Do you still hear the clicking sound?

If you do, unplug the AC power, disconnect the cable to the signal board, and plug in AC power. Do you STILL hear the clicking sound?

If you do, would you take a picture of the power supply and identify those caps you replaced? Attach it using 'Manage Attachments'.

While you are poking around in there, make sure the caps are in correctly, and you haven't created any shorts.

PlainBill

Comment

With cable to inverter disconnected, clicking is still present at about 4-5 clicks /second.

With cable to signal board and inverter disconnected, clicking is present at about 2 clicks / second.

first pic is before and after, the last two pics are after.

I took it to a shop since my soldering skills aren't very great. I'm not 100% sure what they replaced, but I pointed out the differences as best I could. They couldn't get it working and didn't charge anything.
                                Attached Files

Comment

With cable to inverter disconnected, clicking is still present at about 4-5 clicks /second.

With cable to signal board and inverter disconnected, clicking is present at about 2 clicks / second.

first pic is before and after, the last two pics are after.

I took it to a shop since my soldering skills aren't very great. I'm not 100% sure what they replaced, but I pointed out the differences as best I could. They couldn't get it working and didn't charge anything.
                                  Oy!!! Well, at least they didn't charge you. In the second picture there is a small cap just to the left of the main SMPS transformer (DCGM 0723S). This capacitor is critical to proper startup.

In the first pictures it appears an inductor has been replaced. It the first picture it's labeled 3R3, in the second you can see the windings.

Also, one obviously bulging cap was replaced. What is the brand and series of the replacement?

PlainBill

Comment

Hey guys,

I just made an account to say that I had the same exact problem with the same busted capacitor under the heatsink. I found a spare 3300mF 25V one lying around and soldered it to the underside of the board.

All is now well - thank you for your pictures as they confirmed my suspicion in that capacitor being the faulty one.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                                      Oy!!! Well, at least they didn't charge you. In the second picture there is a small cap just to the left of the main SMPS transformer (DCGM 0723S). This capacitor is critical to proper startup.

In the first pictures it appears an inductor has been replaced. It the first picture it's labeled 3R3, in the second you can see the windings.

Also, one obviously bulging cap was replaced. What is the brand and series of the replacement?

PlainBill
                                      Finally bought a new power supply unit for the monitor. Swapped it out and now the white LED power indicator turns on when I press the power button. No more clicking, however, the screen does not turn on.

There are no visibly bad caps on the inverter board, and no visible damage to the main processing board. Any ideas where to proceed?

Comment

Finally bought a new power supply unit for the monitor. Swapped it out and now the white LED power indicator turns on when I press the power button. No more clicking, however, the screen does not turn on.

There are no visibly bad caps on the inverter board, and no visible damage to the main processing board. Any ideas where to proceed?

Some good focused photos of the main and inverter boards would be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
                                          Some good focused photos of the main and inverter boards would be helpful.
                                          Here's pics of the main board, inverter, and the new power supply. Thank you.

Main Board:

Inverter board:

New power supply:

Comment

Working...
                                          X