Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to power up LG 23" L2320AL without media center console?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to power up LG 23" L2320AL without media center console?

Hi,

A friend just sent me an email asking me (dont know why he asked me) if there was a way to test or power up a monitor that he just got from someone cheap.

First its an LG L2320AL. Apparently it does not have a standard power connector on the back. Apparently it has only a single cable coming off the back. My friend sent me a pick of what the cable looks like (see enclosed pic).

What my friend wants to know if how to power up monitor with only this cable. I think what he wants to know is that since he does not have the "media center console" which i think came with the monitor at some point is there a way to make like an adapter to a power cord so that he can turn the monitor on. Also, he would want to some how connect monitor to a computer.

Any thoughts?
    Attached Files

Re: How to power up LG 23" L2320AL without media center console?

Hey, man, that's appears to be just a straight DVI connector. Hmm - I've heard that some Apple displays with the ADC (Apple Display Connector) had to have a special adapter from Dr Bott (the DVIator) that allowed the ADC Monitors to work with standard PCs. I believe think Apple 30" Cinema Display was one that required it. Hmm, I've found an image of the ADC plug, it had rounded edges, so that cannot be it. There must be a AC or DC plug jack hidden under a bezel somewhere. Have your friend look there. I also can't find any info on this monitor in English, was this a mainland China only monitor?

Comment

I will ask my friend to look a little more carefully.

I was able to find this on the web.....i think this is what my friend was referring to because he kept mentioning a "media center console".

http://www.techspot.com/reviews/hard..._flatron2320a/

Comment

Any one have any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Welchs101
          Any one have any ideas?
          Open up the monitor and examine the P & D cable. The power supply is in the Media Center console; the first step is to figure out what voltage(s) are passed to the monitor (probably 12 V) and what the polarity is.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Actually 24V, but check the internal to determine the panel's CCFL supply needs by noting the panel type and google for PDF on this. This is main driving reason for lamp CCFL supply. Rest of DVI plug is standard. Get apple-style power supply adapter that was needed for older DVI apple monitors that only had no power supply at all several years ago.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Actually 24V, but check the internal to determine the panel's CCFL supply needs by noting the panel type and google for PDF on this. This is main driving reason for lamp CCFL supply. Rest of DVI plug is standard. Get apple-style power supply adapter that was needed for older DVI apple monitors that only had no power supply at all several years ago.

Thanks for info.

I will need to get the monitor from him but i guess thats something i can do.

What is "Panel type"?

Do you have any ideas on the apple monitors perhaps what model might have this?

Thanks!

Comment

There are MORE pins on this connector than a standard DVI cable. In fact, there are 6 extra pins tacked on to the end of what otherwise would be a standard DVI connection.

Comment

Oh. :P

Open it up and find out the chipset and wirings that accounts for the extra six pins.

Panel type is sticker on the back of panel it says what it is made by and a line of letters and numbers. Post that as well. And pictures of both side of the board that connector is on.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Once i get the monitor i will post pictures of all labels on the outside and pictures of the inside as well.

Comment

power connector info
                      have full manual but is 10 meg send email adress if you want it emailed to you
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by FIXITNOW
                        power connector info
                        have full manual but is 10 meg send email adress if you want it emailed to you
                        That's the info for a standard DVI connector. This monitor has 6 additional pins.

PlainBill
                        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

In that case have manual with circuits it will need tracing throuch as no other connrctor shown
                          but does give power output from media station as 18.5v 5amp and 5v 0.8amp

Comment

My friend dropped off his LG2320A about 1month ago. Just now getting around to looking at it.

Recall: This monitor does not have a standard power cord. The link below is a pdf file for this monitor and how its connected to its other components.

Basically this monitor plugs into a "media station" (a pc of sometype). One of the outputs from the media station goes to the monitor. This connection must have the power and signals for the lcd.

FIXITNOW listed some voltages and currents........these same voltage/current levels are listed on page 33. On this page the Display input specifications are listed below.

Display Input
                            DC 18.5V 4.5A
                            DC 5V 0.5A

The goal here, if possible, is to rig some sort of cable that will enable it to plug into a standard either DVI or VGA computer input. Do you think this is possible?

I have also included general pic of how cable is connected to monitor and where cable comes into printed circuit board.
                            Attached Files

Comment

If i were to use an external power supply rated at say 18V, 4.5A how would i need to wire it up to power this monitor?

Also, how would i wire a VGA cable to this monitor so that i could plug this into a computer?

Any ideas?

Comment

just a guess from the looks of it..

Comment

thanks!

Comment

edit: 666th post

Comment

nothing to report right now...........i dont have a 18.5V/4.5A power supply. Trying to find one.

Comment

Working...
                                      X