Gateway FPD2485W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gateway FPD2485W

Hi! First thanks to all of you who post and actively participate on the forum. It has been of a lot of help for me.

I want to know if someone owns or has fixed one of this monitors.

The problem is no power. No LEDs go on. I replaced the caps on the power supply, I replaced a bad voltage regulator on the motherboard and doesn't come on.

Any hints on what could be the problem?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Gateway FPD2485W

Well, the list can be rather extensive. Bad power cord, blown fuse, cable not seated properly, solder short, blown transistor, etc, etc.

Have you checked the output voltage of the power supply? How about the input fuse? What is the voltage across the mains filter cap? You say you replaced the caps. What brand and series did you use?

Oh, and pictures would be nice.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
      Well, the list can be rather extensive. Bad power cord, blown fuse, cable not seated properly, solder short, blown transistor, etc, etc.

Have you checked the output voltage of the power supply? How about the input fuse? What is the voltage across the mains filter cap? You say you replaced the caps. What brand and series did you use?

Oh, and pictures would be nice.

PlainBill
      I second PlainBill. Whit such limited info, suggestions are difficult to make.
      There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
      • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
      • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
      • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
      • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • GeForce GT1050
        2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Hi!

Thanks for the input.

I checked all of that. Bad cord, blown fuse.

The power supply gives the motherboard 5v. and the inverter gets 27v.

Even the cable cord that goes to the ON/OFF switch of the monitor from the motherboard gets 3.3v. I just can't find the bad part.

I include some pictures, and hope you can have some suggestions.

Thanks to all in advance!
        Attached Files

Comment

Any updates on this? I have the same "no power" and "no led lights" problem.

Comment

There are a few things to check on these. First of all, there are a number of voltage regulators on the logic card - 3.3V, 2.5V, 1.25V are typical. If any of these are bad, the processor won't work.

In at least one case, the problem was the crystal. It wouldn't oscillate, the result was no processor activity.

There must be some way to hold the processor in reset until the power supplies are stable. Sometimes it is nothing but a cap and a resistor. Other times it is a three pin IC. Each of these can fail. Again, the result is no processor activity.

PlainBill
            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

So I have the "no power", "no lights" problem but it looks like the fuse blew on my board so I'm looking into that. The capacitors on my board all look good but I ordered new ones just in case.

The fuse that blew on my board was F850 which is right next to the power connector.

Comment

Originally posted by gojulas895
                So I have the "no power", "no lights" problem but it looks like the fuse blew on my board so I'm looking into that. The capacitors on my board all look good but I ordered new ones just in case.

The fuse that blew on my board was F850 which is right next to the power connector.
                Interesting. I too have no power and ordered new caps for the powerboard, but never noticed that fuse. Caps should arrive Friday and plan on working on it Saturday.

Where did you get or order the fuse from?

Comment

I just got a generic 5A 125V fuse I had lying in a bin however it blew the second I plugged the thing in which tells me there is probably something else wrong with this board. I doubt it's actually the capacitors as they all look fine...

Digikey has fuses similar to the one that was on the board.

Comment

Originally posted by gojulas895
                    I just got a generic 5A 125V fuse I had lying in a bin however it blew the second I plugged the thing in which tells me there is probably something else wrong with this board. I doubt it's actually the capacitors as they all look fine...

The 'Usual Suspects' are the bridge rectifier and the main switching transistor in the SMPS.

PlainBill

Comment

Thanks for the tip Bill, I will look into those.

Comment

Originally posted by gojulas895 View Post

A generic 5A 125V fuse is most likely a fast blow fuse. I believe a SloBlow fuse is needed on this monitor. Something always causes a fuse to blow, but it could have been a fluke. Try a slow blow fuse.

Comment

Working...
                        X