Toshiba EM131A5C-BS microwave oven- noisy EE16 2.7 mH inductor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba EM131A5C-BS microwave oven- noisy EE16 2.7 mH inductor

This poor microwave oven was purchased by my former employer in 2019 (it's a 7/2018 build) and lasted for about 3 months before making a terrible noise when in use. I determined that it was the main transformer and contacted Toshiba. They asked for a picture of the cord cut in half and the serial number, and then credited my boss' credit card. Rather than sending it to the e-waste, I bought a transformer on eBay and thought I'd try flipping it. Discovered that used microwave ovens aren't worth much but in for a penny, in for a pound as they say. It sat in my basement getting kicked and shoved around so I finally brought it to work to see if the transformer transplant fixed the noise problem.
    It did, and the oven works fine. The interior looks practically new with only a few months of use on it. However, it stil has a cut cord, no feet as I managed to break those off and now it has a different noise. The control board had an inductor on it that has a very slight buzzing noise. I verified that this is the component with the "tube in the ear" method. This doesn't affect the operation, it just makes a little bit of extra noise when sitting there. It gets louder when the door is opened and the light is on.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4138.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	3220092
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4139.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	3220091
    I don't plan on keeping this microwave (we have one we like) so do I need to do anything additional before passing this thing on? At minimum I will need to put on a new cord and fit some new feet. Even if I do sell it to somebody rather than give it away I will still take a haircut on it considering what I have in it.
    Can I just squirt a bunch of hot glue from a glue gun into it to quiet it down? I can't really find this inductor, except from an eBay seller who is out of them.

Thanks
    Attached Files

Hi, if you have esr meter and capacitor meter I suggest you to check those capacitor, maybe someone is going to be bad. Check all out of the board, and report the results..

Comment

Working...
    X