Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove excess solder

Hi,

Can someone tell me how (or if) I can remove this excess solder?

I made a novice boo boo.

The board is an edge board from an lcd tv, and it connects to the tv panel via a fixed cof strip.

I had to remove a surface mounted multi diode chip (yes I did a bad job) but got some residue solder on the pins when cleaning it up with a ribbon wick.

Can I get that excess off, as I believe it is causing interference to the panel, shorting or something, that effects just a small portion of my image.

Any pointers please?

Thank you
    Attached Files
    Signature:Seemingly hopeless tv fixer

Re: Remove excess solder

To do this, there is a braid to remove solder.
    https://aliexpress.com/item/1005004037729600.html
    https://aliexpress.com/item/32958719300.html

Comment

Solder residue like burnt flux flux? Use 99% IPA and a toothbrush.

Comment

Thanks CapLeaker and lotas

It is that type of solder wick that I used when taking off the chip...do I now simply use more with a warm iron?

My worry is that when doing so, that it might try to remove the actual end tips that I require to still stay there?
        Last edited by viewerau; 08-16-2023, 07:20 PM. Reason: last bit

Comment

The pic isn’t very clear. To me it looks like burnt (black) flux that needs to be cleaned.

Comment

Does this help?
            Attached Files

Comment

Put a lot of flux on there and clean that up with your soldering iron using a chisel tip or similar. If that is indeed solder it should stick to your iron, just clean the iron after every stroke. Then clean the spot with 99% IPA. When the flux gets brown and thick, wash it away and put more new flux. Be gentle on the tab bond. If you can select the temperature of the tip don’t run it full bore. 280C or 300C should be more than enough.

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

As you can see, I am only new at this, so please forgive the extra questions?

When I removed the chip, all I did was heat up the iron, to remove the chip.

I did not use anything else, and as the solder was melting, I used some tweezers to pull it off the board.

I then got hold of my solder wick tape, putting that on the area, and then tried to soak up the remaining solder left over.

I think(??) at that time, I must have slopped some of the solder off the wick, and onto those pin areas when doing so.

It is now my duty to try remove that slop.

I have not used flux before, so I need to buy some to try to clean it up.

Do I have it right, following your reply, that I simply have to put the goo I am buying....https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/29492421...Bk9SR-DxiOvAYg

onto the area, warm iron, and try to get solder off one wipe at a time, until it is gone?

I only ask, because when I try to look at youtube videos, they seem to say to buy isopropyl 99% and try to clean it with that, by wiping or using a toothbrush.

This is where I get confused, and don't wish to make my job worse, rather than better.

Can you please advise again?

My apology for being rather dim.

Thanks

Comment

first clean it with isopropyl 99% . then see how it looks .

Comment

I think that connector isnt firmly affected with solder yet, so use toothbrush and any alcohol, and if you have hard sticked particles use a wooden toothpick to scrap it...

But, you must also clean your initial "working area" around chip, to see what is going there... I see some ripped pads, maybe bridges... you cant work without proper tool, I think some flux and be familiar with technique. Practice on scrap board before try to fix something.
                    Last edited by harp; 08-18-2023, 05:36 AM.

Comment

It all cleaned up perfectly after using iso again, the set now runs perfect after following this thread...https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=116525

Comment

Working...
                      X