Supermicro 865W PWS-865-PQ Resurrection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supermicro 865W PWS-865-PQ Resurrection

I stumbled upon this PSU on ebay for $35 with free shipping, knowing its a $150 PSU. Seller said it worked, so yea, worth a gamble. Seller said it was pulled from a workstation they were parting out.

Well here's what showed up:

Note the cut wires........ I took those for the seller and sent an email. Figuring he'd just refund my money and I'd send it back is what I expected, that totally didn't happen. He had Newegg drop-ship me a BRAND NEW replacement, 2nd day air. He also told me to keep that one and said fix it if you can or use it for parts... Since I didn't have to return it, I cracked it open....

16 cut wires, all on the 12v rail. The 4-pin ATX+12v plug was missing, as were 2 of the 4 PCI-e GPU power cables. Why some twit decided to cut those off is beyond me.....the PSU does work fine, I tested it before wasting any time repairing it....I had a bunch of PCI-e GPU modular cables from a bunch of HE550's I had. I bilked the 4-pin ATX+12v cable from another dead Antec I had in the junk pile....

Then came the fun of splicing it all together. They're all soldered, and then heatshrink tubing to insulate.

All back together and good as new!!

you can see the white box the new replacement came in...

That seller got a good feedback and I got $200+ worth of PSU's for $35!! Good day!!
    Attached Files
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: Supermicro 865W PWS-865-PQ Resurrection

Damn, you lucky SOB... Now that's what I call service.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I just picked one of these up at my local surplus place for just under $30. Works great! But I have a question regarding it's function: it seems to run even when it's off--the fan runs regardless of whether I shut the system down or go into sleep mode. I'm just wondering if this is normal, perhaps due to it being (I assume) a server PSU?

p.s. Only thing that was a surprise about this PSU was that after installing it in my Antec 1200, the 24-pin connector and 8-pin connector that run to the other side of the motherboard were not long enough, and I had to buy extensions for them. This is why I assumed it is a server PSU meant for a particular chassis.
      Last edited by Logistics; 02-09-2015, 09:20 AM. Reason: forgot something
      Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

^
        I found that with the 8 pin EPS12V connector on my Delta DPS-600MB. Being designed for a specific server (presumably with a top-mounted PSU), the connector just didn't reach when it was bottom-mounted.

Actually, this PSU looks kind of similar to mine, with the dual-PCB design (and 100% Jap caps ).
        Last edited by c_hegge; 02-10-2015, 02:32 PM.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Logistics View Post
          I just picked one of these up at my local surplus place for just under $30. Works great! But I have a question regarding it's function: it seems to run even when it's off--the fan runs regardless of whether I shut the system down or go into sleep mode. I'm just wondering if this is normal, perhaps due to it being (I assume) a server PSU?

p.s. Only thing that was a surprise about this PSU was that after installing it in my Antec 1200, the 24-pin connector and 8-pin connector that run to the other side of the motherboard were not long enough, and I had to buy extensions for them. This is why I assumed it is a server PSU meant for a particular chassis.
          That's normal, the fans always run on the 650W Ablecom (Supermicro) in my SM rig.
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Nice job. Can you elaborate on the two wires you attached to each cut wire on the 12V? Do you have a crimping setup and all? If not, how did you do it?
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat
              I got $200+ worth of PSU's for $35!! Good day!!
              I wish I can get $200+ dollars worth of motherboard for $35 as well!
              Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 02-16-2015, 03:02 PM.
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                Nice job. Can you elaborate on the two wires you attached to each cut wire on the 12V? Do you have a crimping setup and all? If not, how did you do it?
                Which one? I didn't double any up. Are you looking at one of the factory connection? I soldered all the splices I made.

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                Actually, this PSU looks kind of similar to mine, with the dual-PCB design (and 100% Jap caps ).
                Yes, there are 2 large PCB's sandwiched in there with the smaller 'daughter board' on the side, only half of it is shown in the pics above. It is packed VERY tight, and yes, all jap caps. none needed to be replaced, believe me, I checked!!
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                http://folding.stanford.edu/
                Team : 49813
                Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                  Which one? I didn't double any up. Are you looking at one of the factory connection? I soldered all the splices I made.
                  Ah, I thought they were two wires, but upon closer inspection, it's a yellow wire with a black stripe. Good job.
                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Working...
                  X