Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung LE40A656A1F Black to Red Screen Error

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53490QSaMas

So I just fixed my tv's startup board having it been stored for quite a while, the startup was the only issue prior, so after a quick change of the two bad caps the startup problem is now solved, everything worked great for half hour or so but then this happened, all the blacks are turning red on the screen, looks pretty messed up, can anyone help me, reading online people have suggested it could be the T-CON board but can anyone confirm this and if I replace it would it be repaired, if it doesn't what other issues could be wrong and how much would I be looking to getting it repaired?

Re: Samsung LE40A656A1F Black to Red Screen Error

Corrupted EEPROM. Try this.

Turn TV off and get it into standby.

Using the remote, press INFO - MENU - MUTE - POWER in sequence. The TV should power up.

Now in factory settings mode, select RESET or FACTORY RESET.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

ok mate I just followed your instructions its going through the setup stuff now I've turned it back on (fingers crossed firmly)

Comment

Sadly this hasn't resolved the issue, any more advise you can offer would be deeply appreciated.

Comment

All black is replaced with red? OK, can you do the service menu procedure (without the reset) and take a picture of it. I have fixed two of this same model, one is our new TV now. The T-con could be the fault.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

give me a few moments then nice one

Comment

Here you go fella, hopefully I've added it correctly to the thread lol
              Attached Files

Comment

I just repaired a Samsung with a similar issue by cleaning the connectors at both ends of the LVDS cable. It may not help your issue, but it is worth a try.

Comment

OK, I think your EEPROM has definitely got corrupted, which is very common when the capacitors on the power supply go bad. For example, your country is "Others-1"; I think it should be "Europe" or "UK" - I'll check on mine at home. What I suspect has happened is the panel settings have changed causing your issue. I will get a picture of my settings page and see if anything is different.

I had a 32" Sharp with the same issue except it affected green, and it was a corrupted EEPROM. Resetting it fixed the problem - easiest fix ever.

Comment

OK cool, well I'll be on all day haha I'm determined to get it back up and fully operational, its got to be cheaper than buying a new television eh.

And @Randtek, if it is to do with the LVDS cable connectors what is the best thing to use to clean them, I don't want to cause more harm than good so opening the back yet again is what I'd like to try and avoid and see if Tom can help with an easier fix firstly but like I said willing to try any fix that avoids me dipping into my pocket haha

Nice one guys

Comment

OK well I just googled that info on cleaning, it was just as I thought it would be, same thing I need to used to clean the bluray lens on my PS3 (If you want you can use plain alcohol, on a Q tip, and gently rub the golden contacts on the LVDS cable), typically in my house it seems everything breaks down at the same time :/

Comment

hahaha ok so this may help somehow in working out what it could be, the tv has all of a sudden returned to normal again, does this rule out anything that you could have been thinking was possibly at fault?

Comment

Yeah, might be intermittent BGA contact on T-con - same problem as Xboxes had. I had this same model with faded light green bars on the LCD (approx 3" wide, and 8" apart), not figured out entirely if it was a BGA issue, but replacing the T-con fixed it.

Comment

Aye its gone red again just now, so you think its definitely the T-Con that needs replacing, and do you think cleaning the LVDS would make any difference at all in not having to replace that part, I've already looked the part up like its £30 which isn't too bad a price to pay I guess

Comment

I think it is the LVDS Cable connections. I usually clean them with a pencil eraser, followed by cleaning with alcohol and q-tips.

Comment

Try jiggling the connectors at each end of the LVDS and see if it tells you anything.

Comment

Mine is set to Others-1 too. Seems odd - anyway, go into "CONTROL" sub menu, and check "LVDS FORMAT". Should be "Default".
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi Tom, "Using the remote, press INFO - MENU - MUTE - POWER in sequence. The TV should power up.

Now in factory settings mode, select RESET or FACTORY RESET" is this procedure for most SAMSUNG? Thanks.
                                    Never stop learning
                                    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Yep, info-menu-mute-power works on every Samsung from ancient CRT RPTV to 6 month old plasmas.

Comment

Thanks, I will try that next time.
                                        Never stop learning
                                        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Working...
                                        X