Spot welder capacitor blew up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spot welder capacitor blew up

Spot welder capacitor blew up should just replacing them fix it? The board is very dirty gonna remove it and clean it an see if I notice anything wrong that could cause this issue.
    Video of the smoke show
    https://youtube.com/shorts/AFJgRbsHGhs?feature=share

Re: Spot welder capacitor blew up

no, dont risk it.
    clean the board up and post pictures.
    if a diode went short-circuit and hit the cap with AC that would do it - and do it to the replacement too!

Comment

It kinda looks like a Rifa

Comment

Yea that is a Rifa capacitor, just replace all of them with the same values.
        Just look for the safety rating of it and replace with the same or better Y or X class capacitor.
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

yes its a RIFA a quick google they seem to be famous lol

best way to clean this board? im using iso alcohol and a brush but it seems to be just moving it from one place to another

Attached Files

Comment

this is the same as mine is it ok to use these? or is there a better equivalent?

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/film-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Comment

what is on the side of the old one?

Comment

Yay yet another RIFA thread!
                Was really hoping not...but sounds like my Tektronix scopes need to get it's RIFAs swapped soon...

Sure hope the Kemet buyout made them better...

Comment

same as the above link above

Comment

There is more info written on the side of the Rifa capacitors, the top just says 0.1uF. They're X caps I guess 300VAC or more.
                    You would need the lead spacing mm and voltage rating to find replacements.

For cleaning the board, I use a gentle toothbrush and a little compressed air- not too much which makes static electricity and damages things.
                    The welder has had a hard life, between the rust/water and dust.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                      There is more info written on the side of the Rifa capacitors, the top just says 0.1uF. They're X caps I guess 300VAC or more.
                      You would need the lead spacing mm and voltage rating to find replacements.

For cleaning the board, I use a gentle toothbrush and a little compressed air- not too much which makes static electricity and damages things.
                      The welder has had a hard life, between the rust/water and dust.
                      ive ordered the ones in the link above they look to be the same to me

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by shanedev93 View Post
                        best way to clean this board? im using iso alcohol and a brush but it seems to be just moving it from one place to another
                        The only way to get this board clean would be with soap and water.
                        I would not submerge things like the buzzer or relay though.
                        So best to use maybe a toothbrush and be quite liberal with it, but not submerge it fully...
                        You can then wash that off with the IPA and after drying it should look much better
                        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I would not use Rifa/Kemet PME261's as replacements, the one you picked is ordinary PME261 "General Purpose AC/DC, Metallized Paper" and has no ratings for across the line use. Those are another part number PME271M or PME271E.
                          Rifa oddball sizes are the only LS=20.3mm parts, but I would stuff in a standard 22.5mm part which would fit.

The reason to worry about it is there is no fuse for these and they would totally destruct the board in fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                            The only way to get this board clean would be with soap and water.
                            I would not submerge things like the buzzer or relay though.
                            So best to use maybe a toothbrush and be quite liberal with it, but not submerge it fully...
                            You can then wash that off with the IPA and after drying it should look much better
                            i used a tin of electrical component cleaner had lots of pressure worked rather well

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                              I would not use Rifa/Kemet PME261's as replacements, the one you picked is ordinary PME261 "General Purpose AC/DC, Metallized Paper" and has no ratings for across the line use. Those are another part number PME271M or PME271E.
                              Rifa oddball sizes are the only LS=20.3mm parts, but I would stuff in a standard 22.5mm part which would fit.

The reason to worry about it is there is no fuse for these and they would totally destruct the board in fire.
                              i just got the ones in the link as i have no clue of a suitable replacement lol
                              they look the same have the same part number pme 261 jc and they seem to work. have you got a link to what you would you use? might change them in the future

Comment

Working...
                              X