Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's the worst brand of capacitor

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
    MCZ isn't sensitive to heat... MCZ is sensitive to INSANE levels of heat combined with unreasonable amounts of ripple... When you combine these two factors in an older computer - firstly, that the power supply's capacitors are no longer filtering enough ripple and are thusly passing them to the motherboard's capacitors, and that older computers can be dusty and poorly ventilated, MCZs preform extraordinarily well whereas cheaper capacitors fail much quicker...
    I'm not saying they're as sensitive to it as KZG are, but I've seen my fair share of bloated/silently failed MCZ too, and I noticed they were usually in or around "hot" areas of the system. It could have been ripple that killed them, I wouldn't doubt that.
    The ever-amazing (and ever-affordable) KY, Chemi-con's best kept secret.

I'll probably be the only person going to SteamOS once it gets out of beta (ha ha.)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
      What about Sanyo OSCON? And also the SEP and SEPC series?
      Not 100% sure, but I think they're hybrid too, as are fujitsu, but at least they get their electrolytes right.

The only time I've seen failed Rubycon is in SFF roasting oven PCs (like Dell SX280s)
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Fuhjyyu, and Canicon for sure. Garbage!!!

Comment

OK, I'm really starting to hate Teapo caps. Just replaced a couple in an XBox's power supply, and it looks like I'll have to evict some from an old ATX power supply. Bloody things. If that wasn't bad enough, several motherboards I came across each had bulging Teapos as well. Ugh!

Earlier I replaced five "Cushy" branded capacitors in a Zoom ADSL X6 modem/router. All the "Cushy" caps were blown, yet the Taicons weren't (visibly anyway). Evicted the "Cushy" in favor of Panasonic FJ and FC. Sadly no pics of these goofy caps.

The horrors of KZG continue!! It looks like I'll have to replace some in my cousin's machine when I get a chance to visit...
          Last edited by UraBahn; 03-12-2012, 08:02 PM.
          The ever-amazing (and ever-affordable) KY, Chemi-con's best kept secret.

I'll probably be the only person going to SteamOS once it gets out of beta (ha ha.)

Comment

Serious, Ura? Woodland, as in Yolo County? I was in the first class to graduate from WHS's West Street campus.
            PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
            To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I would say that Jackcon is the worst cap brand. I haven't seen any other caps fail as often.

Comment

I forgot to mention G-Luxon...Seen a lot of those fail

Comment

What about these bad boys.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19521

Comment

G-Luxon are so-so (they've joined with Teapo since 2002 btw).

The absolute worst IMO has to be Rulycon - i had an otherwise well-built Deer (no, not kidding, a well-built and honestly rated Deer) power supply completely crippled by Rulycon capacitors. ALL had failed, from the largest to the smallest. Except the primary caps which were some other crap brand (but tested good), all Rulycon, all bad. The PSU had so much damage due to the bad caps it couldn't be recovered, but i did save some nice heatsinks, a TL494, a full input filter and a T106 toroid. Yes, you heard it right. A Deer with full input filter. There existed such an animal.

Thankfully i haven't seen Rulycon in a while. Latest bad caps i have replaced (and have yet to replace, i have an intel board waiting for a batch of caps) are KZG.
                    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Sacon by far, almost all of the caps I have replaced so far were sacons. Probably around 90%. Others were Capxcons, g-luxon, Teapo and Jackcon. Teapo and Jckcon are a close second to sacon. Only reliable chinese caps I have seen are Elite. I use the EB series on regular basis and they seem to hold their own. Also seen them in monitors and PSU's, none failed so far.
                      Guns don't solve problems. I'll take 12

Comment

Elite caps fail too. Replaced a few myself.
                        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I've only seen Elite caps on the primary of my Hi-Pro PSU that have lasted forever but then again, they are the primary's....

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                            Elite caps fail too. Replaced a few myself.
                            Well japanese caps fail too, that doesn't mean that they are a bad brand. I have yet to see a failed one, and although chinese they are pretty good. I don't swear by them but maybe even the chinese can get something right
                            Guns don't solve problems. I'll take 12

Comment

If there is one reliable Chinese brand, it's samxon (with the exceptions of the GL and GF series). The GD series are way better than their chemi-con counterparts (KZG)
                              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

The worst brand I know of is a counterfeit ripoff of Samsung they are called Samsing, I found a Samsing 2200μF 16V in a no-name record player of mine from 2005 the rest were just Chengx capacitors but I can literally hear the ripple coming from the speakers when a record plays as for the Chengx caps ill leave them despite being a bad brand that Samsing is the biggest issue of them all, I'll rid it for a Nice Rubycon. ZLG cap.

As for Elite caps I have them in a Acer CRT monitor from 2005 which is for my everyday PC and are holding up very well. I did have some fail in a LCD monitor I think was Acer too which I found on the street some years ago which I sold within the same week
                                Last edited by capacitorguy; 09-14-2014, 07:50 PM. Reason: Adding info

Comment

YEC - these are the ones that bulge without ever having been assembled into equipment. I've seen bags of new YECs where every one is bulged. IBM used a lot of them in Netvistas and so on, and ended up having to sell the unit to Lenovo (which refused to take on the liability for warranty returns on equipment sold before the deal closed).

Comment

These are the caps that I see fail on a regular basis (almost every forgthnight).
                                    Fuhjyyu
                                    Ucc kzg
                                    Capxon
                                    Gsc/sacon
                                    Last edited by ReeceyBurger123; 09-16-2014, 11:49 AM.
                                    Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

I have some YEC caps in a Uniden phone of mine which I threw out shortly after, A brand I have a problem with all the time is TK (Toshin Kogyo) it was my first time dealing with the capacitor plauge in a compaq computer of mine

Comment

Yeah, TK are pretty bad. I think most of the worst brands are now gone or "renamed," those being: JEE, Rulycon, Chhsi. Of modern caps, I'd have to say CapXon is the worst, especially in monitors, Elite caps hold up much much better for chinese caps. I'd throw GoldLink in there too as one of the worst that are still fairly common.
                                        Last edited by Pentium4; 09-16-2014, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by capacitorguy View Post
                                          The worst brand I know of is a counterfeit ripoff of Samsung they are called Samsing, I found a Samsing 2200μF 16V in a no-name record player of mine from 2005 the rest were just Chengx capacitors but I can literally hear the ripple coming from the speakers when a record plays as for the Chengx caps ill leave them despite being a bad brand that Samsing is the biggest issue of them all, I'll rid it for a Nice Rubycon. ZLG cap.

As for Elite caps I have them in a Acer CRT monitor from 2005 which is for my everyday PC and are holding up very well. I did have some fail in a LCD monitor I think was Acer too which I found on the street some years ago which I sold within the same week
                                          I currently don't like Elite! Saw one bulged in a PSU of a socket 478 Dell under light load! Checked the PSU on July 19, 2012, IIRC.
                                          (manufactured in 2003)
                                          Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 09-16-2014, 04:58 PM.
                                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                                          X