Vizio VX42L Pop then Screen blurred - LCD Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vizio VX42L Pop then Screen blurred - LCD Problem

Excellent! Perhaps doing the power supply will stop the buzzing...? Or, it could be a poorly/loosely wound transformer and nothing you do will stop the buzz. Can you identify the noisy part?

Comment

Originally posted by Quasar View Post
      Excellent! Perhaps doing the power supply will stop the buzzing...? Or, it could be a poorly/loosely wound transformer and nothing you do will stop the buzz. Can you identify the noisy part?
      Sounds like the noise is coming near these "transformers"? Hard to tell which one. See Picture!

The TV has been on all day today, Still not convinced it is fixed completely since I had a hard time getting it to reproduce the issue this last time I disassembled the TV. I'll let it cook for awhile longer to see. Thanks.
      Attached Files

Comment

I don't think there is much you can do about it. As I said, if they are poorly made, the buzzing will be more noticeable. If the power supply has caps that are on the "bad" list, I would recap it now, while you have it open. I don't think it can hurt.

Comment

Listing of the Caps on the power supply and the inverter boards.
          Attached Files

Comment

Tough to respond to that list. Can't cut/paste picture.... :p

Series seems missing on many. Rubycon is a 2 or 3 letter code from what I've seen. PX, MBZ, MCZ, etc.

PET is the plastic used for the sleeve. "Polyethylene terephthalate (PET or PETE)" Same plastic for water bottles, soda... The number "1" inside the resin mark on plastic recyclable items.

I'd venture that any decent manufacturer with an ESR of around .035 ohm or so would be a good choice. Good ripple handling very important too. Panasonic FC. FM may be considered overkill, but they would work too. Some times they are cheaper also.

Nichicon HE, PW, or PM, UCC KY (already there), and KZE. UCC is not named on their caps, but has a little shield mark.

Going to need sizes as there are quite a few under the heat sinks so post up the dimensions (D x H) in mm's. Note the max height that will fit under them.
            Last edited by Quasar; 10-05-2010, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quasar View Post

I'd venture that any decent manufacturer with an ESR of around .035 ohm or so would be a good choice. Good ripple handling very important too. Panasonic FC. FM may be considered overkill, but they would work too. Some times they are cheaper also.

Nichicon HE, PW, or PM, UCC KY (already there), and KZE. UCC is not named on their caps, but has a little shield mark.
              I will update the list into a text format. I couldn't paste the table into the replies is why I uploaded the pictures.

Are you saying the Nichicon HE, PW, or PM, UCC KY are the ones to purchase as replacements along with Panasonic FC and FM's?

Comment

Originally posted by stauffercaps View Post
                Sounds like the noise is coming near these "transformers"? Hard to tell which one. See Picture!
                Pour varnish into them, let dry, done. This always works for me.
                Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                A working TV? How boring!

Comment

...and KZE.

Any of those are suitable for use here.

Comment

I just got done repairing one of these sets today. (Vizio VO42L)

I want to add a little help to someone in the future with this set.

After checking the two electrolytic's on both of the inverters, check these parts (See attatchment - red box) and measure resistance. There are four of them.They should read somewhere around 8.5K ohms. Sorry, I rushed through the repair and didnt write down what the part is. If they read significantly lower, then the BD9897FS chip (boxed in green) is bad and needs replaced. Replacing it is a task in itself but it can be done with the right tools.

Note: Without the BD9897FS chip on the board, these other four components (in red) will measure approx 10K across them. Each of those four will measure open (infinite) if they were alone off of the board. They have a 10K resistor in parallel to them. The chip is also in that circuit bringing the resistance down to 8.5K. In my case, I had one measure 63 ohms across one of the four. Changed the chip, and now it reads 8.5K.

Good luck!
                    Attached Files
                    The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...974#post129974
                      I removed one of the four that was shorted, Off the board it is shorted also
                      it is a DH15AL - I am unable to find it. Do you know where I can buy them?

Comment

Originally posted by Lupo9 View Post
                        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...974#post129974
                        I removed one of the four that was shorted, Off the board it is shorted also
                        it is a DH15AL - I am unable to find it. Do you know where I can buy them?
                        What is this part you removed? Your link doesn't work.
                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                        X