internet drops out randomly virgin media super hub [VMDG480] router

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: internet

There seems to be a bug where Windows sometimes complains about the IP address being in use by something else when it wasn't then continues with getting an IP address...

On systems using DHCP, there's a chance Windows whined about the IP being in use by another device in the event log...

This can occur, even with a cat-only router with only 1 computer.
    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 03-27-2014, 07:56 PM.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

32 GB G.Skill RipJaws V F4-3200C16D-32GVR

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

thanks for the replys peeps i looked in device manager and theres a caution sing over the intel2200BG wireless thing im trying to find a free driver update to see is that helps i think i have a wireless usb thingey from a old laptop that never had inbuilt wireless ill git it a go i still can't find why when wired it drops out randomly yet. thanks again

Comment

You can try a different cat5 cable and take the laptop to another network and test it but I think the problem is most likely the crappy Virgin router.

Comment

in network connections when the wireless dropped of it said. unavailable device malfunctioning firewalled. i still can't get my head around the wired Ethernet dropping out this morning both where fine until i switched the laptop of but tonight its dropping out every ten minutes so im now on my t-mobile usb donggle that works fine

Comment

I've not had any problems with the wired side of the Virgin Superhub (wireless is another issue, I've taken to putting an old Belkin router in to provide WiFi here).

I'm assuming the router is in router mode and not modem mode?

Also assuming that the Cat5 wiring checks out ok?

And another assumption: you're disabling the WiFi on the laptop when connecting via Cat5? (this last one could be the source of the IP conflicts if both the WiFi card and the LAN port are somehow being assigned the same IP)

Comment

Originally posted by wpe View Post
              window error report to do with win32?? and the the laptop locks up at times [ freezes ]
              Looks like maybe CPU overheating or bad PSU.
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

32 GB G.Skill RipJaws V F4-3200C16D-32GVR

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by Elysarian View Post
                I've not had any problems with the wired side of the Virgin Superhub (wireless is another issue, I've taken to putting an old Belkin router in to provide WiFi here).

I'm assuming the router is in router mode and not modem mode?

Also assuming that the Cat5 wiring checks out ok?

And another assumption: you're disabling the WiFi on the laptop when connecting via Cat5? (this last one could be the source of the IP conflicts if both the WiFi card and the LAN port are somehow being assigned the same IP)
                yes wireless disabled when wired not sure about the router being in router mode virgin brought it and replaced 2 weeks ago because of the same problem. i have 5 A4 sheets of paper with speed tests from speed test.net and theres no stability i even had one of virgins lot take control of my unit over the net and he could'nt understand why the signal was so unstable ranging from 31mbps down to 5mbps back to 30mbps down to 0.36 mbps all withing 2mins of checking

Comment

im now on a belkin surf N300 wireless micro adaptor just to see the out come

Comment

im now on a belkin surf N300 wireless micro adaptor just to see the out come
                    Cool, hopefully this will solve it. Report back

Comment

I've just remembered something about our connection...

When we originally had it moved the installer put a 6dB attenuator in the line, the original Motorola Surfboard we had didn't like it much and was unstable, once I pulled the attenuator out and connected the cable into the modem directly things settled down.

I installed the Superhub so there's still no attenuator in there.

Comment

there's a 10 db filter in the line when the so-called engineer changed the router iasked him to check the filter but he just said it will be ok the engineer before him who fitted the superhub fitted the filter and checked for noise. i never had these problem with my old original motorola router

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                          Cool, hopefully this will solve it. Report back
                          i'll keep updating but so far so good

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                            There seems to be a bug where Windows sometimes complains about the IP address being in use by something else when it wasn't then continues with getting an IP address...

On systems using DHCP, there's a chance Windows whined about the IP being in use by another device in the event log...

This can occur, even with a cat-only router with only 1 computer.
                            It's not really a bug but a normal delay in routing table updates on the local machine. When this happens flush DNS and ARP cache in Windows.

Comment

still working on the belkin stick is there a internal connection between wired and wireless or are the two totally independent ???

Comment

still working on the belkin stick is there a internal connection between wired and wireless or are the two totally independent ???
                                They are seperate chips with seperate drivers so I am bewildered that you are having trouble with both.

Comment

Resetting the router would have cleared the error log and routing tables and freed memory.
                                  The router is known to have wifi problems.
                                  We don't know if the cat5 cable was verified as good.
                                  Windows gets pissy about network problems.

Comment

I've used 4/5 different Ethernet net cables if that's what you mean by cat5 cable ??

Comment

Yep Same thing

Comment

Working...
                                      X