Why would anyone get a desktop anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why would anyone get a desktop anymore

The main problem is bloated operating systems!
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by thesloc View Post

Since technology is getting smaller and faster so should desktop technology. Nobody envisioned tablets or even phones having the capacity that they have today much less envision a cooling solution to them.

Everybody knows this, manufacturers know this, and futurists know this.

Overclocking too will become a poverty man's method to having processing speed.
      Sorry, many laptops are not better than desktops, they're more prone to overheating,
      even under wussy tasks! I'm looking at you, Hewitt Packard!

And cleaning them are a PITA!
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Maybe if you replaced that ancient Core Duo of yours.

Everyone's on at least i5 technology.

Comment

I think the newer HP laptops have a better cooling system (the same cooling system as Acer and Toshiba laptops since they're all made by Quanta), but the cooling issues weren't in "ancient poverty machines." Almost all laptop manufacturers switched to almost identical Quanta-built systems about two or three years ago, but I guess only people in poverty would ever want to use a laptop that is old enough to not crash every five minutes.

Do you seriously think that everyone in the entire world can run out and upgrade their computer the day a new CPU or video card is released? How does the age of the computer matter when talking about the effectiveness of the cooling system? It sounds like you think Intel invented a self-cleaning heatsink.

What generation of i5 are you talking about? I'm guessing you think Ivy Bridge is "poverty level."

Comment

sandy/ivy bridge is poverty indeed. Intel is already coming out with new CPU tech by 2014/2015 (AMD is pretty much out of the equation and will never catch up).

Comment

Originally posted by thesloc View Post
              sandy/ivy bridge is poverty indeed. Intel is already coming out with new CPU tech by 2014/2015 (AMD is pretty much out of the equation and will never catch up).
              That may be because AMD know where their main income stream is for the next few years:

Consoles - PS4, XBone, Wii-U all run AMD silicon of one kind or another (just the GPU in the case of the Wii-U of course)

(I'm still holding onto the hope that they'll invest a chunk of this income stream in R&D on processors...)

The above is of course pure speculation on my part

Back on topic: I use a laptop for my browsing and email needs (and for work tasks like upload/download on alarm systems) but I'll always have a desktop for gaming and serious (programming, photo editing and anthing else that would make my laptop go into thermal shutdown) - Currently my lappy has a dual-core Athlon II with HD5400 gfx and my desktop an 8-core FX8120 with nVidia GTX760 gfx.

Desktop runs at around 30 to 40 degrees Celcius (CPU core temp) under load, laptop burns my leg if I dare do anything remotely taxing (like playing flash games or HD video).

Oh, and I dust my PC rarely - the bottom of a case is not a good place for intake fans, especially if it's sat on a carpet! (mine is on a piece of Contiboard and has a filter over the bottom-mounted PSU fan which doesn't provide a lot of air to the case anyhow as it vents to the rear of the PSU)

Positive pressure and good airflow are your friends (you need to take into account any filters on the intake fans when planning your rig as they will reduce the airflow somewhat) - as is a well designed heatsink (I've never liked the stock coolers that have dead zones for dust to collect in like the one in the OP, prefer ones with side-mounted fans as this helps stop dust collecting around the fins due to the freer airflow).

Comment

Ah! So that's why side-mounted fans are better.

Comment

I dislike laptops for these reasons.
                  Batterys have limited life time.
                  Cases are mainly plastic with brass inserts means case can be damaged easy.
                  You can't run them at max load 27/7 without risk of overheat.
                  Hinges are easy to break.
                  Charging port and charger get broken because these are mobile devices and pay no attention to stress on connectors.
                  My pc
                  CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
                  MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
                  RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
                  PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
                  GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Comment

Tablets are fun once in a while but for productivity and real gaming and actual work a nice desktop can't be beat.

Comment

I only game on my desktop. I do work on my laptop, right now dvd authoring. Hopefully soon i'll be getting a new laptop /w a GF GT730 so I can do some gaming too
                      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

For gaming there's always PS3. Besides, you can totally put Linux on the PS3.

Too many exclusive console titles too.

Unless you're a heavy pirate for gaming on the PC...that's the only advantage I see here.

Comment

If you were given a dozen eggs yesterday and a dozen today you would most likely thow away yesterdays eggs just because there older.
                          Last edited by Sparkey55; 07-12-2013, 06:06 PM. Reason: wrong word

Comment

I'm sorry for everyone playing games on ps3 or xbox360 or consoles in general.

Basically you're playing at something like 960x540 on a video card with performance of a 3-5year old pc video card.

Get a 24"-27" monitor or connect a proper pc with a decent video card to a TV and play some good pc games with high quality settings. You won't want to go back to consoles.

And predicting in advance the claim that a ps3 doesn't cost thousands of dollars like a pc does.... no, I have 130$ radeon 7770ghz edition and a 250$ cpu and a 150$ mb and 100$ motherboard .... all added up probably costs as much as a ps3 with a few games.

Comment

Its not about technology; its about playing.

Everyone knows that.

Comment

I was always afraid of trying first person shooters on the PC because it looked hard to get used to but it's really not. If you have a good enough system you won't get lag, but sometimes a console will lag a little. I remember not being able to beat the first Halo on Legendary by myself on my original Xbox and then tried it on the PC and ended up beating it

The graphics are much better too

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                                  That LiteOn PSU probably has bad Ltec in it
                                  It looks like a Bestec to me, but I could be wrong. If it's a LiteOn, I wouldn't be surprised to find bad Ltec and OSTs. If it's a Bestec, expect bloated Teapo, CapXon, Jamicon, and OST.

Mobile devices, laptops, and desktops are not the same thing, not even loosely, so I would not expect mobile devices to replace them so much as usurp their position. Laptops do not provide nearly the functionality and flexibility nor ease of repair that desktops do and yes, it takes much more ventilation and cooling to keep temperatures reasonable. I actually hate the fact that desktops are being "phased out". I do not believe they have outlived their useful life. For what it's worth, I really love the original Xbox still, it was my true introduction to nice graphics and I think that console for all its limitations was beyond its time (it has the good old GeForce 3 GPU). The Foxlink power supply in mine, from 2003, still works fine, and all the capacitors in that power supply are Teapo SC, SEK, or LXK. I have abused the hell out of that console and have used it muchly since 2003, and it still works fine. Have to say that I'm pleased with what's in the VRM low/output/VCore on the motherboard though, 3300uF 6.3V x3 Sanyo WG, and a mix of Panasonic/Matshushita FJ (3300uF 10V) and Chemi-con KZE (1500uF 6.3V) otherwise.

As far as desktops go, I don't think "poverty" is the phrase, more like "old school".

Originally posted by mariushm
                                  I'm sorry for everyone playing games on ps3 or xbox360 or consoles in general.

Basically you're playing at something like 960x540 on a video card with performance of a 3-5year old pc video card.
                                  Ha! You think that's bad? I still play games that look ten times worse from the late 90's. I don't really care about graphics, I just like games with engrossing stories and engaging gameplay, and well developed characters.
                                  Last edited by Wester547; 07-12-2013, 07:11 PM.

Comment

I don't want to spend that much money on a device that isn't capable of doing anything besides running games. I don't see the point in that or a lot of the newer games.

Also, why are you still using an Athlon II if you don't like anything besides Intel Haswell CPUs?

I'm in college, so having a laptop is good. I don't have to use the computers on campus, which all have really dirty keyboards and mice. However, I also need a computer that has a decent keyboard and doesn't crash. Almost all laptops made in the past three years lack these two critical characteristics. I'm actually thinking about getting new batteries for my old Gateway Solo laptop so I don't have to leave it plugged in and set all the BIOS settings every time I use it. It has a good keyboard and doesn't have a stupid glossy screen.

Comment

PC isn't mine. Only my laptop has i7.

Comment

Ha! You think that's bad? I still play games that look ten times worse from the late 90's. I don't really care about graphics, I just like games with engrossing stories and engaging gameplay, and well developed characters.
                                        I also like to play older games from time to time. Hell, I still play OpenTTD (Transport Tycoon Deluxe open source clone) from time to time, which is an isometric 2d game.

Still, there are games in which beautiful graphics and sound add to the immersion and the pleasure of the game... for example I can point anyone to STALKER series WITH the Stalker Complete MOD to see how graphics and ambient sounds can make a game great.

Basically, graphics can complement a good story. Where there's no story and no graphics...

And like I said... I do use the desktop computer for other things... such as work. I do video encodings, video processing/editing, web design, programming for own personal websites from time to time... people actually work, don't just waste time on the Internet.

It's a bit hard to be efficient on 14-15" screens with 1366x768 resolution.

Comment

When I opened our 4YO Dell (which had been sitting on the floor for the entire time) to see if the P/S was the reason it wouldn't turn on, that was the first time it had ever been opened. I know, shame on me! BUT, much to my surprise, it had very little dust inside. Barely enough to get my fingers dusty when I was unplugging all the P/S connectors. So I'm also puzzled at how much dust you have to clean out.

FWIW, the P/S was a Liteon, had lots of Ltec caps and one OST. Quite a few of the Ltecs were bad - O/P side and near the PWM - and the OST was at an odd angle, so I assume it almost blew off its bung. Replaced the P/S, the computer works fine.
                                          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X