Why would anyone get a desktop anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why would anyone get a desktop anymore

I'm not ignoring new tech - my main desktop machine is an 8-core AMD FX8120 with 16GB RAM, nVidia 760GTX graphics and an SSD for the OS.

My servers still work and are plenty powerful enough to run what I need, my laptop is almost 3 years old now but I don't have any pressing need to change that either.

If I didn't play the likes of Crysis 3 and other modern games on my PC I'd probably still be running the old slot A Athlon Thunderbird I bought in 2000 (with win2k)

Comment

Originally posted by Heihachi_73 View Post
      Pentium 4 and Core 2 systems are frequently around the $0 range, and usually come standard with a fried PSU.
      The last used computer I saw someone trying to sell was an eMachines with a Pentium II. They wanted $50 for it... and someone bought it.

Comment

Originally posted by thesloc View Post
        What are file servers for
        One holds all my data so it doesn't clog up all my hard drives, and the other one hosts files to the internet

Comment

Originally posted by Elysarian View Post
          I'm not ignoring new tech - my main desktop machine is an 8-core AMD FX8120 with 16GB RAM, nVidia 760GTX graphics and an SSD for the OS.

My servers still work and are plenty powerful enough to run what I need, my laptop is almost 3 years old now but I don't have any pressing need to change that either.

If I didn't play the likes of Crysis 3 and other modern games on my PC I'd probably still be running the old slot A Athlon Thunderbird I bought in 2000 (with win2k)
          I just bought an SSD. Do you think I'll notice a difference from my current 5400 RPM*hard drive?

Comment

Originally posted by cheapie View Post
            I just bought an SSD. Do you think I'll notice a difference from my current 5400 RPM*hard drive?
            No, I don't think it will be any faster...
            jk You'll never want a normal HDD-based computer anymore

Comment

You guys realize that i3/i5 systems are about $300-400 at most NEW, right?
              Nah, more like $800 for a Core i3 or $900 for an i5 desktop around here. Laptops are about the same. Besides, Core 2 is still plenty powerful enough for the vast majority of users.
              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

the new Ivy bridge Celerons are more powerful than most Core 2 Processors. C2Quads are more powerful but once you get up to PDC IVB chips that even starts to be not true

you don't need an I3
                Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Wish, that's fucked up expensive! I heard Toyotas are like 30k too in Australia.

I can literally get a new laptop at most retail shops (with warranty) for about $300

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                    Nah, more like $800 for a Core i3 or $900 for an i5 desktop around here. Laptops are about the same. Besides, Core 2 is still plenty powerful enough for the vast majority of users.
                    That's very expensive.

Comment

I can literally get a new laptop at most retail shops (with warranty) for about $300
                      That might get you a netbook here.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Nobody buys netbooks here anymore. Probably find them on Craigslist for about $100 tho.

Comment

Few buy them here too, but I do often run into 15" laptops with netbook CPUs (AMD E-350 for example). They are SLOOOOOOOWW. They probably sell for ~$500
                          Last edited by c_hegge; 07-19-2013, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Those are the $300 ones he was talking about. Most places actually sell them for around $250, but Walmart has to sell them for a higher price so people think they're better.

Comment

Originally posted by cheapie View Post
                              surprised anyone here uses newegg. everyone pretty much uses eBay now.

i could get a 240gb ssd 6.0gb/s on ebay for $140
                              Last edited by thesloc; 07-19-2013, 12:55 PM.

Comment

surprised anyone here uses newegg. everyone pretty much uses eBay now.

i could get a 240gb ssd 6.0gb/s on ebay for $140
                                I don't really trust eBay at all.

Comment

Millions do.

Comment

Millions do.
                                    Millions are idiots too.
                                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                                      Those are the $300 ones he was talking about. Most places actually sell them for around $250, but Walmart has to sell them for a higher price so people think they're better.
                                      Yeah, they're built to a price. I can't ethically suggest them.
                                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
                                      X