Cpu and socket question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cpu and socket question..

Hi....I have an 1156 ASUS Motherboard..When it arrived a week ago I immediately unwrapped the package to inspect it....I have through experience a phobia about CPU sockets and pins?? So when I noted a CPU socket cover on it I thought thats good and is it hiding something at the same time ....So I removed the cover ...My first impression was these pins do not look right ...they were all aligned properly but did not appear to be raised as if they had been compressed or flattened but I waited til I had better light during the daylight and also under a halogen light...Now I have another faulty 1156 M/B...One segment of the CPU socket the pins have been compressed while the other segment one can easily see they are raised the 0.3mm so that the contact point on the pin will touch the relavant CPU pad when the CPU is put in the socket...SO I think I can identify bad pins from good pins....BUT i decided I could be mistaken and that there was only one way to find out....I took my Gigabyte board out from my good working computer and replaced it with the Asus and my intel i3 CPU/heatsink/fan..put in my GE Force 9500 Graphics card and one stick of memory in the appropriate slot and hooked it up to my monitor and powered up ....
    All I got was a 2 second power to the CPU fan and a 2 sec halt with this action in a continual repeat..
    In my experience this is a classical CPU/Socket problem.......

So finally here is my question ?????????????

Is there a simple diagnostic method one can do to test whether sockets pins are actually contacting the pads of the CPU...when the cpu is in the socket

Thats it ...Any answer would be appreciated...

I have attached two photos of the socket ..maybe they will help..Thanks Hk
    Attached Files

Re: Cpu and socket question..

Looks fine to me...

Comment

it does look a little compressed, not sure if that's your problem though. Why were you replacing your other 1156 motherboard?

you sure you didn't accidentally get an 1155 board? 1156 is kinda old
      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
        it does look a little compressed, not sure if that's your problem though. Why were you replacing your other 1156 motherboard?

you sure you didn't accidentally get an 1155 board? 1156 is kinda old
        Hi ..its difficult to tell..even when one can turn the board and get the different light reflections on the socket....I am not replacing my present board?? I have an i3 and i7 CPU both 1156 and i am hoping to put together two units and flick one off..Hk

Comment

have you tried the other processor?
          Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
          ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
            have you tried the other processor?
            Hi..To be honest I never ...and I have just wrapped the M/B up and going up town to post it back to its previous owner...As far as I am concerned it was a no goer and i really was not in a position to carry on with it...
            Overnight I actually thought of a way that I could test if there is any compression of pins..so I do have a motherboard that I can try my theory out on..Hk

Comment

Working...
            X