Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

small 3-pin fan connector

Help me guys ,

I brought a VGA copper HSF with only HKD$15 , a few weeks ago. It is the same type as the attached image. It was so cheap that I just brought it before having any idea to use it for.

It comes with a small 3-pin fan connector. The wires are red, white & black respectively. Now, I wanna make it a standard 3-pin fan connector. Can you guys tell me which is 12v, speed sense & ground ?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by hkivan; 11-20-2006, 11:14 PM.

Re: small 3-pin fan connector

Usually black is ground, yellow is +12v, and green is the speed sense on a regular HSF. You can easily test yours by taking pairs of wires at a time and checking DC resistance. Of the two minimum resistances you find, the common line in the two pairs is ground (probably black). You also should have fairly low resistance between the +12v and GND lines on the fan. You can check them by momentarily touching the two candidates to +5v/GND. If the fan spins, your guess is correct, otherwise repeat with each of the other pairs.

Comment

Linuxguru,
      Thank you so much. I finally made it.

I measured the resistances between wires as fellow :
      - between red & black = 9.6KΩ
      - between red & white = infinity
      - between black & white = infinity

So , the red is for 12V , the black is GND & the white is speed sense.
      I soldered them with a 3-pin connector. Wow, it spins at 4500 rpm which is quite noiseful. I think this is the only draw back. For the price of this HSF, I have no complaint at all.

Comment

This is not a dig of any kind and meant only as a respectful correction.
        You meant to say in english, the fan is quite noisy.
        Jim

Comment

I think 'quite noiseful' sounds rather good
          Tt Armor+ black case--Corsair HX1050--Intel i7 920 (default)+Noctua U12-Gigabyte GA-58EX-Extreme--6GB tri-ch. Corsair Dominator+ Corsair Dominator memory cooler--2 X Gigabyte 6870OC CF -2 x 300GB WD V-Raptors--1 X 500GB WD Green--1 x WD 250GB--1 X 1TB Samsung F3--8 case fans--Samsung T220 22" + Dell WFP2408 24"--Logitech G15 keyboard-Logitech G500 mouse--Onboard sound--plus other bits.
          OS-Vista-64bit+Win7-64bit+Win 8 64bit.

Comment

if you have no speed control you could use a resistor
            capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Yeah, I have some controllers sitting around but the copper HSF does tailor made to certain models. It doesn't likely to be fit on my winfast and I already have a copper HSF installed.
              Maybe, I will tailor the copper block to small heatsinks for chipset , MOSFET...etc

Comment

Take a look on the images and guess which one is better !

Well, the copper one has a small & slower fan with red , blue , yellow blinking LEDs. The aluminium FSH has a higher CFM, over 3000 rpm fan and much larger surface area for heat dissipation. AFAIR , they cost around CNY¥65 and CNY¥4x to 5x respectively.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X