Microsoft's Biggest Blunder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft's Biggest Blunder

Which OS do you think was the worst M$ made? Personally, I'd have to say Windows Mistake Edition, mainly because of how notoriously buggy and unstable it was. At least vista and 8 are fairly stable.
    Windows 8
    0%
    Windows Vista
    0%
    Windows ME
    0%
    Other
    0%
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Re: Microsoft's Biggest Blunder

Vista is fine after lots of updates. You know I like Windows 8 so I vote ME... BUT WAIT! Zune was worse, so Other

Comment

Wow, 1 vote in each category so far I voted Vista, a big factor was the fact that Microsoft tried to force feed it to everyone

Comment

I had so many problems with Vista. Never had to use ME, thankfully. I probably shouldn't vote, since I'm not well-informed. Perhaps another poll should be started asking for the best OS's from Microsoft?

Comment

I skipped the 98/ME era on my own systems, but I worked on tons of them....both sucked, but weren't the worst thing in the world. Vista was just a major resource hog, but otherwise functioned ok. Win7 is what Vista should have been, and 7 is actually pretty good. Win8 will do a bellyflop worse than vista and ME combined. Nobody likes it.... Steve Ballmer should have been fired after Vista.....but wasnt. Wanna start a bet pool whether he's working at the end of this year?? FWIW, win8 will suck bad, but if MS follows tradition, win9 will be pretty good.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge
            Which OS do you think was the worst M$ made? Personally, I'd have to say Windows Mistake Edition, mainly because of how notoriously buggy and unstable it was. At least vista and 8 are fairly stable.
            Agreed 150%. ME's error was trying to use the win 9 hybrid 32/16 bit kernel to do things that required the power of the NT kernel... hence Windows XP, which did that to a point.
            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              I skipped the 98/ME era on my own systems, but I worked on tons of them....both sucked, but weren't the worst thing in the world. Vista was just a major resource hog, but otherwise functioned ok. Win7 is what Vista should have been, and 7 is actually pretty good. Win8 will do a bellyflop worse than vista and ME combined. Nobody likes it.... Steve Ballmer should have been fired after Vista.....but wasnt. Wanna start a bet pool whether he's working at the end of this year?? FWIW, win8 will suck bad, but if MS follows tradition, win9 will be pretty good.
              For what it's worth, I happen to like Windows 8 overall. Sure, navigation is difficult and I'm not really impressed with the idea that you can't close out the metro apps, but overall its benefits outweigh the disadvantages. It took me a couple days to get used to it, and the first thing I did was create a shortcut to the shutdown and restart .exe's and pinned them to the start menu. I didn't like where they hid the normal button. I first installed 8 in a partition on my machine running 7, just in case I didn't like it. I was actually blown away at how fast 8 was booting up and shutting down. The task manager is also loads better and overall it's more efficient than 7 or other predecessors.

I'm actually looking forward to Windows 9, if they make it. Ideally, in win9, I'd like to see the efficiency and speed of windows 8 with the windows 7 UI and layout.

Just my $0.02

Matt

Comment

95C and the first edition of 98.

Why?

Simple. Bill-the-living-Nazi got away with the integrated Internet Explorer lie. First, it set the "I can get away with it" precedent. Second, it opened the door to half-assed "programming" that fails back to/depends on IE/ActiveX with everything that goes with them. The ramifications have been further-reaching than we may ever know.
                Last edited by kaboom; 01-02-2013, 09:38 PM.
                "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                Originally posted by shango066
                All style and no substance.
                Originally posted by smashstuff30
                guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Windows 8 is more intrusive and I hate to say it, Vista and 7 are, too. It's hard to get a sense of control with Vista and later.

Also, someone at Microsoft should have been fired for making the default permission settings deny administrators access to temporary file directories. (Vista and later)
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                    Windows 8 is more intrusive and I hate to say it, Vista and 7 are, too. It's hard to get a sense of control with Vista and later.

Also, someone at Microsoft should have been fired for making the default permission settings deny administrators access to temporary file directories. (Vista and later)
                    I had a great deal of control over 7. It was one of the best OS's for the modifications I try to make on my machines. Better than XP, especially. 8 didn't allow as much control though, so in that sense I agree with what you say.

I nevere liked the windows default permissions either. Luckily they were easily changed....

Matt

Comment

Microsoft famous "plugged and play" sometimes PLUGGED AND PRAY! Hoping that some devices will work hah!

Comment

Originally posted by lemite View Post
                        Microsoft famous "plugged and play" sometimes PLUGGED AND PRAY! Hoping that some devices will work hah!
                        I hear ya there!

I think I had that problem back when 7 was still fairly new, and the driver support for USB devices wasn't as extensive. It's come a long way since then.

I had similar problems with 8 recently (right after it came out), so that supports my assumption.

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
                          95C and the first edition of 98.

Why?

Simple. Bill-the-living-Nazi got away with the integrated Internet Explorer lie. First, it set the "I can get away with it" precedent. Second, it opened the door to half-assed "programming" that fails back to/depends on IE/ActiveX with everything that goes with them. The ramifications have been further-reaching than we may ever know.
                          I agree with that, but must go further....in that Vista, 7, and 8 are VERY intrusive, constantly phoning home. Win2k was the last of the OS's that didn't require activation (and hacks to get around it), and was the last great flagship OS under Billy Gates before XP came with required activation except for VLK's...and then Steve Ballmer took over and its been a downward spiral since for MS.

win8 though, the worst abomination we've ever seen from MS. I say again, looks and functions like it was made for a 2yr old by a 2yr old...
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                          http://folding.stanford.edu/
                          Team : 49813
                          Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                            win8... was made for a 2yr old by a 2yr old...
                            I thought you said before made for a 3yr old by a 3rd old.
                            Moot point, I know . Or perhaps the inconsistencies in Windows 8 are starting to get catchy for you?

I still haven't voted since I don't have much exposure with those OSes. Vista I've troubleshooted a few times, and although somewhat different from XP and a little bloated, I still think I can work with it if I had to. As for Windows ME, I didn't know much about computers back then when it came out. I remember my friend's family's computer had a Dell Dimension at the time with Win ME. We played a lot of games on that computer and did a lot of Word typing and whatnot. Other than crashing a few times, I think ME didn't give us any other problems either.

Windows 8, though... not having things organized properly and having the Shut Down button hidden I know will drive me nuts. So I too have a feeling this one is going to be a belly flop. And NO, I am NOT looking forward to Windows 9! This is exactly what Micro$oft wants you to do - they create a crappy OS so that anything they release after that will seem like a step forward, thus making people switch from 8 to 9 with joy. FUCK THAT! We already have seen this scenario with Windows ME and Vista. I'm sticking with XP until it's completely dead and unsupported.
                            Last edited by momaka; 01-03-2013, 09:12 PM.

Comment

uh oh a heap of XP lovers...

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                                uh oh a heap of XP lovers...
                                Uh oh, a Win8 Lover

(and next, somebody will say the same about a Linux lover. Proud of it!)
                                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                  Uh oh, a Win8 Lover
                                  +1. That's a real problem
                                  I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                    ...about a Linux lover...
                                    *pointing at self* Here's one!

Comment

they should of made a windows 7 "touch" edition for tablets, phones and just kept windows 7 for PC's. There will be no Win7 SP2 cause of win8

they're going to shove it down our throats, till we choke
                                      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                                      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Windows 2000: Initial release February 17, 2000
                                        Windows ME: Initial release September 14, 2000
                                        Windows XP: Initial release October 25, 2001

I'm sorry but what the fuck where they thinking?
                                        Windows 9x was dead when Win2K got released which is based on the NT kernel.
                                        Releasing another 9x based OS after Win2K was madness at it's best, not even the stupid Metro interface can match that in stupidity!
                                        And fuck me how unstable that POS was, ME is the worst OS Microsoft ever made.
                                        Vista is a nice runner up and Win8 an even better one, but still not even close in the "shittiest POS ever made" race
                                        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Working...
                                        X