Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newfound hatred for windows 8

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
    No, you don't need the mouse at all. Start menu then start typing. This is an improvement from the search in the windows 7 start menu.
    Let's say I wan't putty.
    I hit the windows key type "Pu" hit enter and I've got putty!
    go back, type op get opera
    alt-tab, don't need them mouse

This stuff was all in Windows 7 and previous versions, but win 8 made it better
    Funny, I'm doing almost the same in XP to start my most used programs. I hardly use the mouse too. I do like the Vista/7 search in the start menu, but not enough to make me dump my trusty ol' XP. So that "better" simply isn't going to cut it. If I'm going to spend $100 to upgrade to a newer OS, it has to offer a lot more than just a few new flashy effects or revised features.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
      If I'm going to spend $100 to upgrade to a newer OS, it has to offer a lot more than just a few new flashy effects or revised features.
      Funny thinking.

The operating system's job is actually to make the system work and provide applications with a stable environment.
      imho an operating system is better if it adds support for new types of hardware, if old hardware is working smoother compared to they way it works on older hardware...

The search, the start menu, Windows explorer, paint.. are all applications, not the operating system.
      They're supposed to be minimal, basic applications, a fallback in case you don't use 3rd party applications.

In Windows 3.1 and Windows 95 times it wasn't uncommon to *gasp* pay for a search application or for simple games like Solitaire.

The visual effects, the menu rollovers etc ... are merely providing a foundation for applications, they're like default "templates" which help developers make applications in shorter term. There's no rule saying a developer has to use them, an application could very well implement its own menus or run in full screen 3d mode.

For example, I hardly use Windows Explorer, I'm using Total Commander. I'm hardly using Paint but I'm using Irfanview (image viewer) and select "show paint tools" and draw on pictures directly from Irfanview.

Anyway... Microsoft is actually smart here.

They realize ARM is going to be more and more succesful in replacing desktop. They see Apple developing Ipad, Ipad 2, Ipad mini, and they hear rumors that Macbooks are all going to eventually be Arm based. Some of them macbooks already are.
      AMD has also announced they're going to make processors with both x86 and ARM cores.

People are slowly migrating to these types of devices as they become powerful enough to replace laptops, so Microsoft has to port Windows for ARMs to survive.

So they have to make Windows 8 RT which runs on ARM, but while they're doing it they can take advantage of the fact that Apple is basically a monopoly and therefore they have no problems locking this platform and making that App Store for Windows RT and so on.
      They can't do the same for PC version of the OS, as they're still a monopoly there.

I probably won't ever use Windows 8, for me Windows 7 is pretty much perfect. I skipped Windows XP, probably used XP less than a whole day in my life (on my own computers) so I won't have problems skipping Windows 8.
      I just hope by the time Windows 8 becomes EOL, Linux would mature enough.

Comment

They may be getting powerful enough, but exactly how easy is it to type with a touchscreen???

Even if desktops die out, I don't think laptops will.

EDIT: While we're at it, if the application is used by MOST people, then it shouldn't be a bare minimum. It's not environmentally friendly to have to download a separate application.

For little-used applications, I understand where they're coming from.
        Last edited by Shocker; 11-17-2012, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
          No, you don't need the mouse at all. Start menu then start typing. This is an improvement from the search in the windows 7 start menu.
          Let's say I wan't putty.
          I hit the windows key type "Pu" hit enter and I've got putty!
          go back, type op get opera
          alt-tab, don't need them mouse

This stuff was all in Windows 7 and previous versions, but win 8 made it better
          Better how?
          In Win7 the search was not split up into categories, but in Win8 it is.
          So if you just copied your putty.exe somewhere it would be listed under "Files"
          But if you made a shortcut for it in Metro it would be listed under "Apps"
          Read the section on Windows 8 and explain to me how this is an improvement?
          http://www.techspot.com/article/596-...retrogression/
          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker View Post
            ... Even if desktops die out ...
            The Myth of the ‘Post-PC Era': Why tablets and smartphones will never replace the PC

"... So, my friends, feel free to continue sniggering when those around you sneerily deride your PC's ample future, numbering its days like the pile of pundits of old. While tablets come and go as the new “alternative” for a 27′ screen backed Xeon box, we'll still be enjoying the best gaming experiences, the most flexible operating environments and the last bastion of free choice and open variety in the computing arena. Long live the PC."

Comment

Until we get 27" tablets.

I think PCs are stuck for a long time... no tablet will ever replace them.
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I dislike the new Windows 8 interface, but I try not to use it much. I don't use any of the metro apps.
                Everything that was there in 7 still exists in 8. The Disk Management MMC snap-in hasn't changed a bit since 2000.

I just use the new interface to launch apps that behave like they do in 7, if they're already not pinned to my taskbar. If these apps switch to using the full screen Windows 8 mode, then we have problems.

I like Windows 8 for the following reasons:
                The 6.2 kernel is noticeably faster than 6.1
                UAC prompts no longer delay you for 1-2 seconds and make the entire screen go black
                Multiple taskbars are standard if you are running more than one screen, no more 3rd party hacks

I dislike:
                The charms bar - what purpose does it serve? Why are the shutdown options hidden and under settings??
                Windows 8 interface & full screen applications and no way to disable them

Comment

Originally posted by seanc View Post
                  I dislike:
                  The charms bar - what purpose does it serve? Why are the shutdown options hidden and under settings??
                  Windows 8 interface & full screen applications and no way to disable them
                  You can use Start8 to get your Windows 7 start menu back, including having the shutdown option where it's supposed to be. The Charms bar (well, at least the mouse hotspots - the keyboard shortcuts will still work if for whatever reason you want to use it) can be disabled from the registry without the aid of 3rd party tools.

With those two tweaks done, Win8 is a better, faster Win7.
                  Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                  Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                  A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                    You can use Start8 to get your Windows 7 start menu back, including having the shutdown option where it's supposed to be. The Charms bar (well, at least the mouse hotspots - the keyboard shortcuts will still work if for whatever reason you want to use it) can be disabled from the registry without the aid of 3rd party tools.

With those two tweaks done, Win8 is a better, faster Win7.
                    I know. I installed Power8 and turned it off again later. I decided I just don't need the start menu, which is perhaps what Microsoft want. I might re-enable it later.
                    I gave up on the search function in Vista and 7 a long time ago and never used the start search. Just windows + R to run things.

Comment

I'm a big fan of the start menu search, and absolutely love the search box integrated into every folder since Vista. I use it all the time. The only instances i turn to the Run box is for very common programs where typing in the name and hitting enter is faster than using the search, like cmd, services, notepad.
                      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                        I'm a big fan of the start menu search, and absolutely love the search box integrated into every folder since Vista. I use it all the time. The only instances i turn to the Run box is for very common programs where typing in the name and hitting enter is faster than using the search, like cmd, services, notepad.
                        cmd, services.msc, notepad etc are what I spent 99% of my time typing

Comment

There's one more tweak that i made, and that is setting the title bar fonts back to size 9, which also made the title bars slimmer, they were taking up too much space.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                            Funny thinking.

They realize ARM is going to be more and more succesful in replacing desktop. They see Apple developing Ipad, Ipad 2, Ipad mini, and they hear rumors that Macbooks are all going to eventually be Arm based. Some of them macbooks already are.
                            AMD has also announced they're going to make processors with both x86 and ARM cores.

People are slowly migrating to these types of devices as they become powerful enough to replace laptops, so Microsoft has to port Windows TO ARMs to survive.
                            fixed that for you!

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                              until we get 27" tablets.

I think pcs are stuck for a long time... No tablet will ever replace them.
                              100%.
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                              http://folding.stanford.edu/
                              Team : 49813
                              Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

Find me a tablet than can drive 3 22" LCDs... find me a tablet than can burn a disc.
                                Find me a tablet with Gigabit ethernet.
                                How about a tablet with 12 USB ports?
                                Good luck

A tablet will never replace my main computer.

Comment

i skipped vista and ill skip 8 too.
                                  My Computer.
                                  AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
                                  Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
                                  Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
                                  500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
                                  1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
                                  2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                    Zipety doo dah....the NT5 kernel is just as stable..... Its gonna do a big bellyflop. Win7 was just starting to take hold and they blow this premature ejaculation known as 8 out....its not going to do well. Win7 is a LOOONG way from end of support and end of life.
                                    So QFT!
                                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I thought about upgrading from 7 64bit to 8, and am still deciding. Microsoft IMPO just wants $. Think about the Xbox 360. Buy the console, games, and internet service to play online. Well, not the case. Now pay Microsoft every month to access the intranet. Xbox live is what they call it. Please. Do I have stupid watching over me? I and many others agree that a basic office package should be in included with any version of windows. Really!, just include it in an update.
                                      Last edited by Cubone222; 11-21-2012, 05:51 PM.

Comment

The hate never ends

As if Windows 8 wasn't bad enough already...

One of the worst aspects of Windows 8 for power users is that the product's very name has become a misnomer. "Windows" no longer supports multiple windows on the screen. Win8 does have an option to temporarily show a second area in a small part of the screen, but none of our test users were able to make this work. Also, the main UI restricts users to a single window, so the product ought to be renamed "Microsoft Window."

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                          This post 100% illustrates my point. MS has adopted the US Govt's philosophy.....and that is: "If it aint broke, fix it till it is".....and MS did a great job this time around making a very useless product!
                                          This is the half truth.
                                          The other half is how much time MS needs to finalize (solve most problems) one new OS.

They needed at list six years to debug the most issues with windows 2000 profesional and XP.

But the bigger mistake of MS due their agressive model about making money,
                                          is that they do not respect the time of the windows users, which they have to spend for another one learning curve, of how to use the latest version.

I have three licences of XP Pro, and one XP home at my laptop, plus Win CE at my PDA.
                                          I have no interest about experimental windows OS, which get traced every 18 months.

This is not hatred for windows 8 ... it is a plain logic conclusion.

Comment

Working...
                                          X