Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newfound hatred for windows 8

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
    I also disagree on that one. I have openSUSE on my freebie laptop, and it's perfectly fine as a word processor and a web browser, even for a less computer literate user.
    But it does not have very good hardware support. I've never found a single computer/device that Linux actually ran on the first try (excluding servers, it's always worked flawlessly there).

Comment

I have. My freebie laptop worked perfectly straight out of the box.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
        I have. My freebie laptop worked perfectly straight out of the box.
        Well, it's a bit older.
        Maybe I'm an exception because I run new hardware.

Comment

The problem I have with Linux is the lack of a usable equivalent to Microsoft Office. There is software that works for basic word processing, but I have to use more advanced features that are completely broken and unusable (if they even exist) in the free "replacements" such as OpenOffice.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
            The problem I have with Linux is the lack of a usable equivalent to Microsoft Office. There is software that works for basic word processing, but I have to use more advanced features that are completely broken and unusable (if they even exist) in the free "replacements" such as OpenOffice.
            LibreOffice - it's OpenOffice but it doesn't suck

Comment

And I already thought Microsoft was smoking something...are they on LSD now???

Comment

^Meh
                If it ain't Office...
                It ain't Office. That's all I have to say.

I briefly tried several different linux distros for desktop use, but I wasn't happy with any of them. So my Windows XP systems are to remain running. I think it's going to be another decade before I upgrade.

BTW, I'm still waiting for an answer from your shovey... how exactly does Windows 8 make you work more efficiently?

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                  ^Meh
                  If it ain't Office...
                  I use Open/LibreOffice on Windows as well, and find it just as good as Office 2003. People who have used Office for years and got accustomed to the look that was dropped in 2007, learn LibreOffice faster than they would learn MS Office 2007 or 2010. And it also happens to be free.

I can use both, but out of habit i like 2003 better. However, i do like the ribbon UI in Windows 7 Paint for example.

Windows 8... Haven't used, can't comment. I'm at the "i don't give a crap" phase when it comes to it. From what i read on the web, i like it... because all the tiles crap can be disabled, and it can be made to look just like Windows 7. Anyway, Microsoft said no more DirectX updates for Win7, so gamers will have to move on. But with Steam coming to Linux, things are likely to get interesting.
                  Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                  Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                  A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                    ^Meh
                    If it ain't Office...

I briefly tried several different linux distros for desktop use, but I wasn't happy with any of them. So my Windows XP systems are to remain running. I think it's going to be another decade before I upgrade.

BTW, I'm still waiting for an answer from your shovey... how exactly does Windows 8 make you work more efficiently?
                    There's always SkyDrive. It has Office Web Apps for free, from your browser, including free cloud file storage. No reason whatsoever to buy Office.

Anyway, I can work more efficiently because I have to switch between the keyboard and mouse less.
                    Also, fancy graphical effects make me happy and when I'm happy I work more!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                      Anyway, Microsoft said no more DirectX updates for Win7, so gamers will have to move on. But with Steam coming to Linux, things are likely to get interesting.
                      THE FUCK!? Again? Really? FUCK YOU MICROSOFT!

I'm pretty much done with gaming anyways, since pile of regurgitated buggy shit with no patches or support is the new standard for 50-60$ of hard earn money.

I love Windows 7. I wasn't a fan of XP even though I used it for 6 years, and vista was utter garbage, now windows 8. I've beta tested the RC and hated it. I had no control over what was running and it ate ram like a motherfucker because I couldn't exit out of stupid shit. I felt crippled when trying to work on windows 8.
                      Why would I want a tablet interface on my PC?

Anyways, I hope Valve and their steam platform gains alot of support on Linux and makes it a viable platform, even nvidia has jump on board with optimized driver support.

Comment

The only thing Libre Office/Open Office can't do that MS office can do, is open or create MS Access database files. I never heard of anyone using Access at home.

You can add (Visual) Basic coding to Libre Office Calc files (spreadsheets). It works identically to MS Office. You can then save the files to a variety of different file types, including the different MS Office versions of Excel.

With Libre Office you can also open files created from every version of MS Office. Try opening a file created on the the newest version of MS Office with an older version of MS Office, it 'aint gonna happen. MS Office isn't even compatible with different versions of itself!

Also, Libre Office is free (as in beer). Our government should be required to use it instead of the proprietary MS Office. Think of the savings in taxes that would mean.

Comment

... Microsoft said no more DirectX updates for Win7 ...
                          Not entirely true.

And I bet in due time they'll release full 11.1 for Se7en (like they did with 11.0 for Vista). Would be plainly suicidal not to do:

I remenber I had a try at W8 months ago. It lasted ~10 minutes before I got fed up with the Sesame Street tiles and kicked the crap off my system. What a monumental upgrade it was to go back to Se7en .

Comment

Originally posted by TELVM View Post
                            ...It lasted ~10 minutes before I got fed up with the Sesame Street tiles...
                            Like I said, looks like it was made for 3yr olds by 3yr olds.... I did LOL @ the sesame street comparison though....good one!
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                            http://folding.stanford.edu/
                            Team : 49813
                            Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

ive used it and while it might be faster i don't find it at all attractive, I have one machine with windows vista i would rather use, and despite all the crap people give vista it did have windows mail which was much nicer then live mail imho, if you run vista on a fast machine its not too bad. either way hopefully windows 9 will return to its roots, if its not broke dont fix it. the automobile has basically for the most part had a steering wheel 4 tires and a seat, why change a great formula
                              My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

^
                                Vista is bearable if its on a machine with a couple cores or more and a buttload of RAM.
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

Yeah its on a nice inspiron 1720 with a 2.4ghz core 2 duo 4gb ram and a wd black hard drive, however it already ate one 8600gt, luckily its a replaceable card.
                                  My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

^
                                    thats one thing I love about my Dell Precision notebooks....vid card is replaceable.
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

I use Open/LibreOffice on Windows as well, and find it just as good as Office 2003.
                                      Well, for a while I lost my MS Office 2003 disc so I tried to use OpenOffice for a bit. But there were little things that took much more effort to do than it took in 2003. I can't remember exactly what it was, but I think it was some specific stuff with graphs. And we often had to do graphs and whatnot when we collected data for physics/EE labs. So eventually I got fed up with it and put 2003 as soon as I found my disc.
                                      The new look in Office 2007 used to bother me a bit at first, but after I learned where most of the things are, I don't mind it that much. Now I can use both 2003 and 2007/2010 without problems.

Originally posted by shovenose
                                      There's always SkyDrive. It has Office Web Apps for free, from your browser, including free cloud file storage. No reason whatsoever to buy Office.
                                      Except when you have to work from somewhere where internet is not available and cell phone reception is not too great for an air-card.

Anyway, I can work more efficiently because I have to switch between the keyboard and mouse less.
                                      ??
                                      And how does the metro interface achieve that?
                                      On XP, I rarely have to use the mouse, unless I am browsing.

Also, fancy graphical effects make me happy and when I'm happy I work more!
                                      Alright, if you say so...
                                      I'm not entirely convinced that can be true, though.
                                      When I have 10 different data files and I have to switch between them to copy/paste stuff (happens a lot), those sliding/fading/etc. effects start to become a sore in the eye and a waste of time. I know it's only milliseconds difference, but it's enough to distract me from whatever I'm doing.

Originally posted by BigTroll
                                      either way hopefully windows 9 will return to its roots
                                      No no no, that's exactly the wrong way to think about it and exactly the way Microsoft wants you to think.

I'm surprised people don't see this. MS made Vista and shoved it down our throats hoping that some of us will get used to it (and some people really did). Then MS released 7, and it seemed like a godsend compared to Vista, so people went out bought it instantly because it was so much better than anything else released so far.

It's nothing more than a cheap sales tactic IMO.

I don't mind trying out new products, but if the newer one doesn't really offer much more than the old one, then why change?
                                      Last edited by momaka; 11-17-2012, 02:49 PM.

Comment

No, you don't need the mouse at all. Start menu then start typing. This is an improvement from the search in the windows 7 start menu.
                                        Let's say I wan't putty.
                                        I hit the windows key type "Pu" hit enter and I've got putty!
                                        go back, type op get opera
                                        alt-tab, don't need them mouse

This stuff was all in Windows 7 and previous versions, but win 8 made it better

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                                          No, you don't need the mouse at all. Start menu then start typing. This is an improvement from the search in the windows 7 start menu.
                                          Let's say I wan't putty.
                                          I hit the windows key type "Pu" hit enter and I've got putty!
                                          go back, type op get opera
                                          alt-tab, don't need them mouse

This stuff was all in Windows 7 and previous versions, but win 8 made it better
                                          This post 100% illustrates my point. MS has adopted the US Govt's philosophy.....and that is: "If it aint broke, fix it till it is".....and MS did a great job this time around making a very useless product!
                                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                          Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                          X