Newfound hatred for windows 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newfound hatred for windows 8

Since it seems that with Win8, most people will have to relearn how to use their computer, this would be a perfect time to switch to Linux. And in Linux, you can have many different Desktop environments installed, but not running at the same time. You would need to logout/login to start a different Desktop environment.

If you want a Linux Desktop of more traditional style, Linux Mint offers the Cinnamon Desktop, which can be installed on Ubuntu too:

http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/

Linux can be used for what most of the casual users use a PC for. And it also can be used by power users too. There are only a few Windows programs that don't have a Linux counterpart, like Quickbooks.
    Last edited by Time2Retire; 11-22-2012, 06:12 AM.

Comment

@.@ Linux isn't ready for desktop/laptop primetime folks. There is a reason that Windows has the marketshare it does and Linux doesnt'.

Comment

An epic comment on W8 I saw elsewhere :

"... I provided technical support to end users working at a call center for over a decade. You could not pay me enough to walk someone through this piece of junk ... "

At 10:45 in this video you can see the very one Mark Russinovich getting entangled with the Metro crap
        Last edited by TELVM; 11-22-2012, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
          @.@ Linux isn't ready for desktop/laptop primetime folks. There is a reason that Windows has the marketshare it does and Linux doesnt'.
          Wrong!!!

Windows has the market because it was one of the first, and it buys it's way into position. For example, netbooks first came out with Linux installed. Then MS did something behind the scene that made ASUS drop Linux all together. MS also gives software to students, in order to get the vendor lock-in that they need to survive.

Just because you had a bad experience once with Linux does not mean it can't compete. If you actually tried the latest Linux Mint, with an open mind, you would see how "ready" it is.

Comment

Windows has been losing marketshare every day since the abomination known as Vista. OSX really gained some ground in that era. They got a little back with 7, but with 8 being stuck in our asses, they will lose it in droves again.

For an emailing internet browser, linux is just fine. Has been for years!
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

I'm testing Linux Mint 14 with Cinammon on an HP dv6810us as my main computer, just for the fuck of it. We'll see how much I hate this

Comment

My fortune cookie told me that if I touch one Kernel I will have 7 years bad luck.
                No thanks.

Comment

I'm testing Linux Mint 14 with Cinammon on an HP dv6810us as my main computer, just for the fuck of it. We'll see how much I hate this
                  So much for using it with an open mind.

Of course, with an open mind even Win8 would win you over.

Comment

Originally posted by Time2Retire View Post
                    So much for using it with an open mind.
                    I do have an open mind or else I would not be on this forum :P people who do not have an open mind do not fix their monitors and computers. they go to best buy and buy the shittiest gateway, hp, acer, crap and buy it new every 2 years when it breaks.
                    Of course, with an open mind even Win8 would win you over.
                    win8 did, i love it.
                    so far linux mint 14 with cinammon isn't so bad...

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                      For an emailing internet browser, linux is just fine. Has been for years!
                      I use it for much more than that.

I have two home-brewed DVRs using the MythTV application. I also have a file server that runs scripts that capture a weekly radio show from their internet stream, and then shares it on my LAN using NFS.

I have also compiled Android and another Linux ARM framework on my PC. I also can connect to Android devices via USB OTG cable and root or alter the OS, or install a completely different ROM.

I can easily transcode any video file, to any other type. I can also make a DVD with a complex and customized graphical menu, which I could never do on Windows (I used Nero in Win).

I stopped using MS products with WinXP, and don't seem to need it anymore.

Comment

I do have an open mind or else I would not be on this forum :P people who do not have an open mind do not fix their monitors and computers. they go to best buy and buy the shittiest gateway, hp, acer, crap and buy it new every 2 years when it breaks.
                        OK, I stand corrected.
                        win8 did, i love it.
                        I am corrected again!! I hate when that happens!
                        ...so far linux mint 14 with cinammon isn't so bad...
                        I have a Samsung QX410. I tried Fedora and Ubuntu on it. Neither could cope with the Intel/nVidia hybrid graphics or the touchpad that Samsung uses. I thought that I was stuck with Win7 on this thing, that is until I installed Linux Mint.

I don't know what it is that makes Mint so different, as it is based on Ubuntu, but almost everything is working. I still can't get the right-click working on the mousepad, but a two-fingered tap does the same thing.

I really don't expect you to suddenly change your mind. I feel the same way about Windows as you do about Linux. I won't even give it a chance anymore. So, I guess that makes me close-minded! (by my own definition)

Comment

OK, I stand corrected.

I am corrected again!! I hate when that happens!

I have a Samsung QX410. I tried Fedora and Ubuntu on it. Neither could cope with the Intel/nVidia hybrid graphics or the touchpad that Samsung uses. I thought that I was stuck with Win7 on this thing, that is until I installed Linux Mint.

I don't know what it is that makes Mint so different, as it is based on Ubuntu, but almost everything is working. I still can't get the right-click working on the mousepad, but a two-fingered tap does the same thing.

I really don't expect you to suddenly change your mind. I feel the same way about Windows as you do about Linux. I won't even give it a chance anymore. So, I guess that makes me close-minded! (by my own definition)
                          I do not like Ubuntu, it just doesn't work for me. Mint has always been my favorite (for desktop/laptop) but I still don't think it's as refined as Windows or even Crap OS X. For servers, CentOS is the best by far, but I don't like desktop CentOS either. lol.

Comment

Windows 8 just lost that 'refined' look, now it's Picasso. If I am ever forced to upgrade from XP (for example, if the world decides to block older machines from accessing the internet for "security" reasons), I will be jumping straight to Linux.

Hopefully the various Linux distros don't all end up going "mobile" on the desktop, my PC can operate quite well with a keyboard and mouse TYVM. No touchscreens or ridiculous pointing gestures required here.

Also, tablets are the hybrid car of the computing world, too much exposure to these devices may leave you inhaling your own farts without knowledge.

Comment

I think I saw the perfect definition of windows 8 in a windows 8 commercial yesterday during the football game....it was an 8yr old (or so) girl drawing a picture of what appeared to be her father on the screen, printing it, and postering it on her wall with others similar to it. Very befitting....and I say again, made for a 3yr old by 3yr olds!

...then of course that stupid commercial with the retards dancing around with the silly looking tablets.
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                              http://folding.stanford.edu/
                              Team : 49813
                              Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                I think I saw the perfect definition of windows 8 in a windows 8 commercial yesterday during the football game....it was an 8yr old (or so) girl drawing a picture of what appeared to be her father on the screen, printing it, and postering it on her wall with others similar to it. Very befitting....and I say again, made for a 3yr old by 3yr olds!

...then of course that stupid commercial with the retards dancing around with the silly looking tablets.
                                Then there's the one with people drawing circles and arrows around pictures. I thought that they were playing some sort of picture tic-tac-toe (pic-tac-toe?). It turns out this is actually a method of passwordless login, and it should have been obvious to me (so I've been told).

Obvious? The commercial says absolutely nothing about what they are doing!

The real bad thing about Win8 is the implementation of the UEFI Secure Boot protocol. With this Microsoft can control what operating systems it will allow you to install on YOUR computer. It is suppose to have the disable option on Intel based computers. But, it is enabled on the Win 8 ARM version (Surface tablet). There are legal reasons for this, but I don't recall what they are. The fact remains that on Intel computers it is just an update away from being implemented.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8#Secure_boot

To install Linux on a new Win 8 computer, you will need a certificate signed by MS, and they are dragging their heals on issuing one.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20155...orkaround.html
                                Last edited by Time2Retire; 11-23-2012, 11:19 AM.

Comment

I still can't quite understand why Microsoft is pushing 8 sooooo hard. It's a tablet operating system...

Comment

An you thought Apple was proprietary.
                                    Welcome to the new MS

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                                      I still can't quite understand why Microsoft is pushing 8 sooooo hard. It's a tablet operating system...
                                      Because it is suppose to unify all systems under one OS (phone, tablet & PC).

Comment

Originally posted by Ubuming View Post
                                        An you thought Apple was proprietary.
                                        Welcome to the new MS
                                        MS envied the "Walled Garden" that Apple had developed. With Win 8, it appears they are making their own.

Comment

The secure boot problem is just the sort of reason why i would not want a windows 8 pc, stinks of Microsoft big brother attitude. I myself still use XP on my main pc and see no reason to change it until i am forced to. I have never touched Vista, other than removing it from dozens of other pc's. Windows 7 was better, but the fact that microsoft removed the ability for full screen video to be played on a second (clone) monitor or tv, put me off it straight away. Yes i know there are workarounds for that problem, but all involve a lot of messing about, so why should i bother when it was so simple on XP?

Have not really looked too deeply into Win8, but the few bits of info i have read have put me off straight away. Just more microsoft big brother - we know best attitude.

Have currently got Linux Mint 9 on a second machine (went for 9 because it was about the only version of mint that would fit on a regular cd, i only have an old cd player in the second machine) On the whole i am slowly getting used to it, a couple of gripes, i have tried bloody everything to get flash to install in Firefox, spent all day faffing around, but with no luck. And the other thing i am struggling with is getting used to using the command terminal - which i need to use to run some of the stuff i set the machine up for in the first place. dd_rescue being one of the programs. But i am sure i will get used to it in time.

But not sure i would want to switch from my faithful XP to Linux though, i guess i am just more comfortable with the environment i know. Lack of adventure is my problem!

Comment

Working...
                                          X