Poing, chipset cooler gone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poing, chipset cooler gone.

Got another interesting story today to tell my grandchildren in about 40 years or so.
    Opened my case and saw that my chipsetcooler (Asrock P4i45PE) came loose.

Pics:

Re: Poing, chipset cooler gone.

That would be an issue... did you have any general instability?
    Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

No, i only wanted to install a cardreader and found it like that.
      It runs fine without the cooler but it only has a Celeron 2400/400MHz, the chipset can handle 800Mhz bus. It's my Windows MCE tower so not not much is going on apart for the mp3/tv.

Comment

Originally posted by pinobot
        No, i only wanted to install a cardreader and found it like that.
        It runs fine without the cooler but it only has a Celeron 2400/400MHz, the chipset can handle 800Mhz bus.
        Are you absolutely certain that it didn't pop off when you moved/opened the case?

Underclocked or not, I find it unlikely that the MCH chip would draw so little power that it wouldn't heat up out of control in minutes, particularly considering you have an exposed core there with not even a metal heatspreader or plastic package around it.
        Last edited by tiresias; 05-22-2006, 07:20 PM.

Comment

I opened the case and gently pulled it back, i wasn't planning on taking out any plugs, it was then when i saw it was loose. It can be that when i put the computer there it made a small bump (it fairly heavy) but the chipset cooler is very lightweight so stores very little potential energy.
          It's been running for 12 hours now without a glitch, been playing mp3's, watching/recording tv and dumped a few gigs of mp3's from the other computer to the Media Center. The computer is on 24/7 and acts as a internet gateway for my other computer.

Comment

You know, it would only take about a minute or less to resolder those anchors back onto to the board. I've seen a lot of those over the last couple years. When the anchor has been lost, thats when it gets fun, and you have to find somehting to improvise a replacement.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

I use the Arctic Silver epoxy stuff, holds them in place forever.

Comment

My machine, Gareway Profile, did the same thing and ran for a while.
                Result was no boot and all major caps bulging.
                I reseated those clips and recapped board, been good for about a year now.
                Wish I'd thought of glueing on...
                Jim

Comment

Bougth Zalman Adhesive today. This stuf came with no manual but in an on-line manual of a Zalman cooler i found that you have to put compound A on the chip and compound B on the cooler and put those two together and push, weird. Anyhow it's glued on now.

Comment

Bubble gum PCM... goodstuff... lol

At least it isn't the good old PCChips/ECS "double sticky tape" method...

Replaced that "Orange blob" with this:

Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Originally posted by pinobot
                      Bougth Zalman Adhesive today. This stuf came with no manual but in an on-line manual of a Zalman cooler i found that you have to put compound A on the chip and compound B on the cooler and put those two together and push, weird. Anyhow it's glued on now.
                      That's the really smelly one, isn't it? The one with the green "A" part and the pink "B" part (I do find that the strong distinctive smell can be useful though, since you know that when the "vaag geurtje" disappears, the epoxy is truly dry)

I just usually treat it like any other epoxy, so just place a small amount of both A and B on some non-permeable surface and mix them together thoroughly with a matchstick.

MD Willington: Heh - that's a socket 370 stock cooler on the SIS735, right? Should do the job all right, but isn't it a little overkill to use the fan as well?
                      Last edited by tiresias; 05-23-2006, 04:24 PM.

Comment

The fan was from a K6 II... worked okay.
                        Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Originally posted by tiresias
                          That's the really smelly one, isn't it? The one with the green "A" part and the pink "B" part (I do find that the strong distinctive smell can be useful though, since you know that when the "vaag geurtje" disappears, the epoxy is truly dry)
                          Yes it really smells, but it's also dry in the claimed 15 minutes.
                          You get a lot of the stuff, i've been franticly looking for other items to glue coolers on.

Comment

Working...
                          X