Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: iMACs

PPC is dead. Go for intel.

Leopard (10.5) is the last OSX to support PPC CPUs. Snow leopard (10.6) won't run on PPC anymore, much less the now current Lion (10.7).
    Unlike windows, software backwards compatibility is kinda poor on OSX.
    i.e.: sooner or later you'll run into software that requires 10.6+ and/or intel CPUs. Won't run at all on a PPC based mac.

Intel based macs also have the ability to run Windows (bootcamp) if you want to

Comment

I've got an old G5 iMac also.
      It's still great at what it does, though lacking the Intel's ability to run the latest stuff.
      It seems happier and cooler running OSX 10.4 Tiger. It will run 10.5 Leopard pretty well but runs noticbly hotter and slower.

The PPC Mac have a pretty large loyal followings hat prefer them to Intel Macs.
      But I'd say try to get the latest iMac you can afford.
      The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

I did notice the G5 was slower and slightly hotter on 10.5.7 Leopard I think it was? I can't even remember what I had on there now :S

Anyway, so I should go for an Intel based Mac? I know about the software compatibility issues, but performance wise, say a Core Duo 2.0GHz and a PPC G5 2GHz, which would be faster? (bit vague I know).
        Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Intel will be faster. We're talking single G5 vs. dualcore here lol
          If it was a Dual G5 Mac Pro, the Core Duo would only be a bit faster, but in this case it's a more efficient Dualcore vs. an old single G5.
          The only thing where the G5 would be ahead of the Core Duo would be if you count the room-heating abilities in

http://barefeats.com/imcd.html

Comment

I am also looking into getting and Apple Computer. I think I want the Power Mac G5. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Mac_G5 Now before I do buy one I need to do a little more research. It is an Apple you know. Its not a PC. What I need to know is if it can do just the basic things I need it to do. If it can't then it is just a "Computer Like" toy to me. I think and Intel based Mac could do it all but whats the point? In my mind putting and Intel based CPU in a Mac makes it just another PC with a different OS. Don't read me wrong. I'm not down or against Apple Computers at all. If I were I wouldn't be looking into spending my money to get one. I think it will make for a neat desk. On the left will be the Apple Computer display...ect. On the right will be the Hp AMD four core powered PC display...ect. Before anyone goes there I am in no way interested in any form of Linux on these Computer, PC's. I'm dumb and don't want to go back to any form of OS that expects me to actually know anything ever again...LOL I guess TC, KC, RD, and KJ would call me a "Sheeple". Go ahead. I can take it. I have my Meds to protect me!
            "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
            Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
            John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
            Rod Serling

Comment

@JP: if all you want is surfing the net, sending emails etc., the old G5's would be fine. Just keep the software compatibility in mind (like i said a couple posts before, software backwards compatibility is kinda poor on the Apple side of things)

A recapped G5 would certainly be enough for a websurfing machine.. basic tasks and stuff.

Comment

warning on the G5- they are a to recap... not for the faint of heart.

if you do recap one, polymod it... and don't forget the PSU!

on a side note, imac G5s have a tendency to bomb out superdrives... mine did (dvd half dead)... the fix for that is an external firewire dvd enclosure (which you can get for $12 online) and a good dvd burner, one that can at least read a dvd DL (if you want to insall OSx 10.5).

ditto on software hell for PPC...

not bad units... just don't push them beyond thier limits.
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

It's not just the ability to use the most up to date stuff.

It's also about heat.

The first iMacs didn't even need a fan. Those were the ones with bright colors and a clear view of the insides. These were the G3 and there's still quite a few around.

Next came the G4 which had a LCD !flatscreen mounted on a swivel arm. These were also well сooled.

Now the infamous G5 comes along. Much more heat, more power and a more cramped design. Throw in a really big batch of bad caps (from a well-regarded Japanese supplier) and uh-oh.

Then came Intel in the same white housing and then a new all-aluminum design.
                  The Intels generate a lot less heat and are capable of much more.

An Intel iMac is the one to get. If you really love PPC, G4 has the most distinctive style along with less heat and power consumption.

Apple is criticized for poor support of older products. This is largely deserved as their outlook is forwards to the future. It's expected that you as an Apple customer desire the latest and greatest and will probably get a new computer every few years. Once these things get past the life cycle, support disappears quickly. But really, so does evyone else's! Does HP still support P3 and P4? Probably not so much but maybe more so than Apple.

Have fun shopping!
                  Last edited by KeriJane; 12-08-2011, 12:32 PM.

Comment

I actually sold off one of my polymodded G5's....damn thing went for 260 bucks!! I couldn't believe it! I was expecting maybe 100...slow old dinosaur!

I put windows on a 24" iMac...I dont know why, but that felt so wrong.......like cheating on a girl wrong.
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                    http://folding.stanford.edu/
                    Team : 49813
                    Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                      I actually sold off one of my polymodded G5's....damn thing went for 260 bucks!! I couldn't believe it! I was expecting maybe 100...slow old dinosaur!

I put windows on a 24" iMac...I dont know why, but that felt so wrong.......like cheating on a girl wrong.
                      i see... not that I am selling mine, it is a tad bit too "special" (thanks topcat!)

didn't think they had so much value... but then again, some people have deep pockets.
                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

If I get the old G4 laptops my uncle is going to give me eventually I'm putting Linux on it. No way I'm going to use Tiger (love the OS, just not compatible with new software)...

Macs are nice. At this point most software is available for both PC and Mac so basically a Mac and a PC will both do the same thing...
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by shovenose; 12-08-2011, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Intel should be a lot faster than your G5 stevo.

Comment

Originally posted by KeriJane View Post
                            Apple is criticized for poor support of older products. This is largely deserved as their outlook is forwards to the future. It's expected that you as an Apple customer desire the latest and greatest and will probably get a new computer every few years.
                            That sounds like a future where our landfills will be full and our pockets empty. At least Wall-E would be happy.
                            Seriously, I think I'll pass that one (if I can) - though it seems everyone nowadays (and not just Apple) is having that "future outlook".

The only thing nice about Macs is that their dumbed-down OS - makes it hard for the average user to break it. Seems to work pretty well with most college kids (especially the careless and computer-illiterate ones).

Me - I like my naked, raw XPs .

Comment

Now I know what I want from Apple and it isn't even a real computer. Its that iPad2 thing. Looks like some real fun to me.
                              "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                              Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                              John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                              Rod Serling

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                The only thing nice about Macs is that their dumbed-down OS - makes it hard for the average user to break it. Seems to work pretty well with most college kids (especially the careless and computer-illiterate ones).
                                That reminded me of the people that switched to Macs because any computer running Windows they use gets viruses. They can't use common sense, so they use a Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                                  That reminded me of the people that switched to Macs because any computer running Windows they use gets viruses. They can't use common sense, so they use a Mac.
                                  I used to see that a lot in the computer section of another forum I frequent. All I would do was . Thankfully, that has dwindled recently.
                                  Recovering a BEFSR41 v1 and v2 router from solid red DIAG Light
                                  I have two v2s and one v1.

I am still looking at these boards nearly every day.

What I'm doing: Planning an upgrade of my mining setup from Block Erupters to Red Furys. Though, if the Block Erupters don't sell, I will keep using them for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                    That sounds like a future where our landfills will be full and our pockets empty. At least Wall-E would be happy.
                                    Seriously, I think I'll pass that one (if I can) - though it seems everyone nowadays (and not just Apple) is having that "future outlook".

Me - I like my naked, raw XPs .
                                    Have you noticed that Wall-e makes the Mac startup sound when he recharges?

I'll stick with Apple's dumbed down OS as I'd rather use the computer than constantly fiddle with it.
                                    You can keep your XP. See? Everybody wins!

Comment

OSX virus-proof? Wasn't that the whole "security through obscurity" thing? The only virus I've ever had came on a driver floppy for an IDE controller way back in the day....probably 15yrs ago. I just use caution of the sites I visit, and don't let anyone use my computers. I run no antivirus software. If you use general common sense, you won't get viruses.
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                      Team : 49813
                                      Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

Have you noticed that Wall-e makes the Mac startup sound when he recharges?
                                        Exactly! The creators of Wall-E were foreshadowing what will happen with our world if we were to follow this Apple (and now others too) buy-and-throw-away consumerism model .

I'll stick with Apple's dumbed down OS as I'd rather use the computer than constantly fiddle with it.
                                        You can keep your XP. See? Everybody wins!
                                        Sounds good to me as well.

Comment

How hard is it to change a hard drive in an iMAC? I saw a classifieds ad for a 2009 21" iMac (all aluminium) C2D 2.8GHz for $150, but has a faulty hard drive that clicks. Or in the words of the ad "it works but all it does is click".
                                          Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                                          X