Powerbooks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powerbooks...

I want to slam my head against a table when I hear about Apple laptops, but looks like I will need one for uni now for a few subjects that require a mac based platform.

They basically need a mac that's at least running on Leopard OSX and in a single boot configuration (I don't know why, so don't ask).

Because I'm also a cheapskate and on a minimal wage nowadays again, I'm NOT going to spend $1000 on a new mac book. I was planning to go second hand and buy a 12" G4 Aluminium one.

Why 12"? It fits in my bag and it's small enough and portable enough. I already have a Toshiba R200 in my bag, so obviously the Apple will be the second one in that SAME laptop bag.

Now, here's the problem... I'm not familiar with Apple products, so I'm not sure about the problems I'll be facing here.

Overall other Apple products have been very nice to me. Examples include my iPod touch, my iPhone 3GS and my iPad as well. Everything works as they should and I've never had a problem, but never have I used an Apple laptop... heck, I don't even know how to use the OS yet (seriously, when I sit in front of a mac in the computer labs, I want to cry because I don't know how to use it). :S
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: Powerbooks...

Get a used 1st-gen white macbook. Faster, probably lighter, and not much more expensive

Comment

go with a macbook or a macbook pro. G4s are cheap for a reason... slow, and limited to osx, 10.5 (or lower).

plus, you only get 1 mouse button... unless you use an external mouse.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

If your laptop meets minimum system requirements for OS X use OSX86 instead of paying for overpriced hardware. You can install it to an external USB drive / SD if your laptop can boot from it. (This is technically not dual-booting.)

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
          Get a used 1st-gen white macbook. Faster, probably lighter, and not much more expensive
          I actually looked into that before considering a Powerbook. Unfortunately, they are way more expensive than a Powerbook. A Powerbook goes for under $200, a Macbook is $350+... that is for a white first gen with the rubber base that warps over time.
          Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

You said, "don't ask," but before you buy anything, you really should find out exactly what software they're using that requires Leopard in a single-boot configuration. That just doesn't sound right. I can't imagine how a single-boot configuration would even matter in the first place, but in addition to that, it's been my experience that many of the so-called 'requirements' for Macs in colleges are the result of ignorance or zealotry rather than any actual technical reason. The only real exceptions I can think of are for OSX/iOS software development and certain video/audio production suites, but even then it doesn't explain the single-boot bit.

But even if there is a legitimate reason for using a Mac, getting a G4 is still a really bad idea. As others have said, they're cheaper for a reason... and that reason is that they have been obsolete for six years. At best it'll be slow, but more importantly, a lot of newer software has entirely dropped PPC support. The couple hundred dollar price difference isn't actually a savings if the cheaper machine won't even run the required programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Thrashbarg View Post
              You said, "don't ask," but before you buy anything, you really should find out exactly what software they're using that requires Leopard in a single-boot configuration. That just doesn't sound right. I can't imagine how a single-boot configuration would even matter in the first place, but in addition to that, it's been my experience that many of the so-called 'requirements' for Macs in colleges are the result of ignorance or zealotry rather than any actual technical reason. The only real exceptions I can think of are for OSX/iOS software development and certain video/audio production suites, but even then it doesn't explain the single-boot bit.

But even if there is a legitimate reason for using a Mac, getting a G4 is still a really bad idea. As others have said, they're cheaper for a reason... and that reason is that they have been obsolete for six years. At best it'll be slow, but more importantly, a lot of newer software has entirely dropped PPC support. The couple hundred dollar price difference isn't actually a savings if the cheaper machine won't even run the required programs.
              I'm going to put this on hold for now. I actually rang the unit co-ordinator/head of school to get an answer and I haven't been able to get a definite one to why I must get a Power book on a single boot config. If I can get away with doing a dual boot on my Core Solo Dell then I'll do it!

Comment

I own a 12" PowerBook G4. Please do not consider one or anything PowerPC based. The architecture was killed in 2006 from an Apple standpoint, none of the recent (and improved) applications will run on it and the machines are SNAILS in comparison to anything Intel.

You should be considering a MacBook at the very least.

You're a clever bloke. Buy a broken/tatty and one and fix it up. I did for a smidgen of the price that they were selling for at the time. Doesn't charge batteries... no big deal.

Comment

Well I change my recommendation from White MacBook to MacBook Air...

Comment

I was planning to go second hand and buy a 12" G4 Aluminium one.
                    I have this powerbook too, don't get it. Its ok for browsing the web and stuff but it compares to a 800mhz pIII. G4 also doesn't do 10.5 very well, I run 10.4 on it.

Comment

Originally posted by seanc View Post
                      I own a 12" PowerBook G4. Please do not consider one or anything PowerPC based. The architecture was killed in 2006 from an Apple standpoint, none of the recent (and improved) applications will run on it and the machines are SNAILS in comparison to anything Intel

You should be considering a MacBook at the very least.

You're a clever bloke. Buy a broken/tatty and one and fix it up. I did for a smidgen of the price that they were selling for at the time. Doesn't charge batteries... no big deal.
                      Thanks for the tip mate. Managed to pick up a complete C2D macbook A1181 for $100 today thanks to ebay. Everything works according to the listing but does not have a battery or HDD. Ive solved the HDD issue already thanks to my stash of SATA drives. I guess I just need a $30 el cheapo battery now

Comment

Originally posted by stevo1210 View Post
                        Thanks for the tip mate. Managed to pick up a complete C2D macbook A1181 for $100 today thanks to ebay. Everything works according to the listing but does not have a battery or HDD. Ive solved the HDD issue already thanks to my stash of SATA drives. I guess I just need a $30 el cheapo battery now
                        Cool!

Comment

I probably need to rephrase the "Everything works fine" bit... one minor hiccup it has according to the seller is that the Bluetooth module no longer works. I don't know if I'll ever touch the BT function anyway but what's the module that I'm looking for...?

As for the battery... I was told that the genuine Apple batteries are prone to swelling and thus bending the unit but the after market ones don't do this? Anyone able to confirm?

Oh and lastly, is maximum RAM 2GB or 4GB? Some sources say 4GB, Apple says 2GB. :-/

Comment

choose a different university
                            Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                            ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

I probably need to rephrase the "Everything works fine" bit... one minor hiccup it has according to the seller is that the Bluetooth module no longer works. I don't know if I'll ever touch the BT function anyway but what's the module that I'm looking for...?
                              Seeing how many effin steps are necessary just to get to the damn bluetooth board, I'd say ignore it if you don't need it.
                              General overview of available guides
                              http://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Core_2_Duo

Bluetooth board guide
                              http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installi...1#.T9ObXzfAFG4

Oh and lastly, is maximum RAM 2GB or 4GB? Some sources say 4GB, Apple says 2GB. :-/
                              From what I was able to find out, the official limit is 2GB, but you can put in up to 4GB on some models. It'll only recognize ~3GB out of 4 though, so it's basically 2GB (2x 1GB) or 3GB (1GB+2GB or 2x 2GB)

I solved the "Apple problem" my own way..
                              See below
                              Attached Files

Comment

I don't actually mind opening it up for the BT because I'm changing the keyboard/palmrest to a US/Japanese one!

So I gotta open it anyway. :-/

Comment

Well I asked about the BT issue and this is what the seller told me.

Hi, I think I tried to explain in the aid that when I changed the lcd screen that in my attempt to disconect the bluetooth cable (which runs from the right hand top corner of the machine to the motherboard ) I pulled the connector from the motherboard instead of disconnecting it. The cable and connector are still together. I folded the cable up and it is under the optical drive. I think that if you have a fine soldering iron it may be possible to fix it.
                                  Since I'm pretty awesome with the soldering iron, I guess I just gotta locate where the solder pads are and solder the connector back on?

Comment

Yeah they're not too bad to open up, just be careful when lifting the keyboard, you don't want to yank the top case ribbon and damage it, or the connector on the logic board. I did to one of mine and couldn't turn the damn thing on until I got a new one. Didn't realize they had a pad you could short at that time.

Original MacBook batteries that are faulty are prone to swelling - I think this was a batch issue though.

I took my MacBook to Berlin a couple of weeks ago, it ran for about 4 hours and died, it seems to have an intermittent short - I'm suspecting it might be the issue on the early models where the cables next to the fan heatsink overheat and the insulation breaks down.
                                    This MacBook is made up of so many different parts, I don't know what generation of heatsink it has!

Comment

The 12" version is a headache to work on. The 15" version is a completely different model compared to this one.

This MacBook is made up of so many different parts, I don't know what generation of heatsink it has!
                                      It's actually not, quite possibly one of the most simple laptops out there to work on...I mean, all you have to do is life the keyboard bezel (5 screws total) and voila, you have the motherboard right there, with the hd to the side. Very nicely set up.

HUGE leap for Apple. Those damn iBooks and PowerBooks were a headache for technicians to work on.

Comment

My MacBook IS made up of parts from many OTHER MacBooks. It has a white case and the logic board from a black MacBook for instance...

Comment

Working...
                                        X