Using two monitors is addictive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using two monitors is addictive!

Someone was supposed to drop by and see the 19" LG monitor today. Well, he didn't (didn't even call). He probably had a reason to as i dealt with this guy before and he usually keeps his word. He'll probably come tomorrow.

So i set it up on my desk next to the 19" Nokia CRT. And man, having two monitors is so darn awesome. When i'm doing something in FL Studio i can have Sound Forge on the right all the time, editing samples is now a breeze. Or i put that XP virtual machine fullscreen on its own monitor, just like it were a real computer.

Too bad this LG doesn't dim the backlight... coz honestly i would have kept it. I have another idea though but this is going to require a fairly slim monitor and quite a bit of work - i want to fit a LCD into my desk behind a glass pane. Kinda like the M$ surface minus the touchscreen. That way, when i'm building stuff, i'll be able to read schematics without turning my head towards the monitor and distracting my attention from the soldering iron. Just like if they were on actual paper.
    Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 02-18-2011, 04:41 AM.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Re: Using two monitors is addictive!

I ran dual 24's for a while. never really felt the love for it. it was more of a pain in the ass after a while, I ditched the second one.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

I guess it depends how much stuff you normally cram in one screen. For example i can't run a single 19" 4:3 LCD because it doesn't have enough resolution. I ran 1440x1080 on my 19" CRT and my 17" laptop is 1440x900. This is just about adequate, i can't fit my stuff in 1280x1024.

I went thru a few 19" LCDs then ultimately came back to the good ol' tube because of this. I don't think i can fit anything larger than a 22" in this corner, atm the LG LCD is blocking access to the stuff on the shelf behind it. But a 19" LCD in addition to the CRT not instead it, looks good.
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

that's why i've got a 19" 1280x1024 PVA panel LCD as my main monitor and a 22" 1680x1050 TN cheapo POS as my 2nd one
        IMs, taskmanager, system status tools (RAM usage and stuff).. all the crap that takes up space but isn't really needed all the time is on the second one..
        also pretty handy for comparing datasheets

still thinking about hooking my Samsung Syncmaster 210T (21.3" 1600x1200 .. one of the few BIG 4:3 LCDs) back up.. 1280x1024 is getting kinda crammed..

by the way... 1280x1024 (the most common 17-19" LCD resolutions) are 5:4, not 4:3..
        4:3 resolutions up in that size region would be 1152x864 and 1280x960.. both not available as native LCD resolutions AFAIK
        Last edited by Scenic; 02-18-2011, 05:38 AM.

Comment

running a single 27" 16:10 @ 1920x1200. more than plenty.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

on the bench a 24" @ 1920x1080.a 15"with a bunch of custom cables to test mobo's,industrial controls,ect.soon to add an old ge tv/computer monitor for the cctv system.
            probably wall mount it to save space.

Comment

Here at work everyone has at least 2. Many have 3.
              I have 4 but that's only 2 per computer.
              36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Two monitors is pretty rad. I had my 19" LG as primary and a 17" Trinitron CRT for a while, it was sweet. I had to go back to one computer monitor only so that I could hook up my 34" WEGA for Media Center (my video card can only drive two monitors).

I miss having dual screens. It's especially good for writing papers, you can have a reference document/website/notes on one screen and MS Word on the other.

Comment

At work I have a 22" widescreen. At home, I have a 22" widescreen, and a 17" standard aspect. I definately miss the 2nd monitor when I'm at work. I use it for all sorts of stuff at home... It takes some getting used to, but now I find myself trying to drag windows over to a non-existant monitor when I'm at work, just as habit.
                  Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy View Post
                    Two monitors is pretty rad. I had my 19" LG as primary and a 17" Trinitron CRT for a while, it was sweet. I had to go back to one computer monitor only so that I could hook up my 34" WEGA for Media Center (my video card can only drive two monitors).

I miss having dual screens. It's especially good for writing papers, you can have a reference document/website/notes on one screen and MS Word on the other.
                    pop a 2nd card (preferably low-end) in.. viola.. 1 or 2 more monitor ports
                    i did that a while back.
                    Geforce 8800GTS -> 2 monitors
                    passive FX5200 PCI -> 2 more monitor ports

if your board has another PCIe slot it's even easier. even if it's just a PCIe x1.
                    you could either remove the notch in the slot so the longer card will hang over the end like so:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/249291-12-card

or as some guys on the techpowerup forum did, use a saw or dremel and cut down your 5$ Geforce 7300GT's PCIe interface to fit the PCIe x1 slot lol! (yes.. this does actually work if you don't mess up the number of contacts that you have to keep on the card)

2 examples:
                    ATI HD4350
                    http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=88791

Geforce 210
                    http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=110528

Originally posted by dood View Post
                    [...] but now I find myself trying to drag windows over to a non-existant monitor when I'm at work, just as habit.
                    i know that just too well..
                    "getting kinda crammed on here.. let me just put that window on the other... crap -.-"
                    Last edited by Scenic; 02-18-2011, 12:20 PM.

Comment

I want 1920x1200 too...

I've been always wondering who the heck chose 1280x1024 as standard. It's one of the main reasons why LCD scaling sucks. I mean, even the big CRT monitors were 5:4 not 4:3! I never understood what was up with that.

Comment

I'm kinda thinking about getting one big LCD with a good (read: anything but TN) panel... someday... somehow..

the only one anywhere near my budget would be the Samsung 2333T (23" 1920x1080 w. PVA Panel)
                        http://skinflint.co.uk/de/a565407.html
                        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001463

1920x1200 would be better... but they come with a hefty price tag compared to the Samsung..

cheapest 1920x1200 ones (any panel type except TN)
                        - HP ZR24w, 24" -> 345 Euro = 470.48 U.S. dollars
                        - HP LP2465, 24" -> 430 Euro = 586.39 U.S. dollars
                        - Dell UltraSharp U2410, 24" -> 458 Euros = 624.58 U.S. dollars

i think i'm gonna focus on that samsung instead...
                        Last edited by Scenic; 02-18-2011, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Eizo are the best! I wish I could afford them...

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
                            I'm kinda thinking about getting one big LCD with a good (read: anything but TN) panel... someday... somehow..

the only one anywhere near my budget would be the Samsung 2333T (23" 1920x1080 w. PVA Panel)
                            http://skinflint.co.uk/de/a565407.html
                            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001463

1920x1200 would be better... but they come with a hefty price tag compared to the Samsung..

cheapest 1920x1200 ones (any panel type except TN)
                            - HP ZR24w, 24" -> 345 Euro = 470.48 U.S. dollars
                            - HP LP2465, 24" -> 430 Euro = 586.39 U.S. dollars
                            - Dell UltraSharp U2410, 24" -> 458 Euros = 624.58 U.S. dollars

i think i'm gonna focus on that samsung instead...
                            I've seen the U2410 in person when I built that gaming rig. It's got a great picture! Though I still like my LG W3000H better

Comment

No dual-monitor setup here, but my cheap solution is two desktop computers on my desk .
                              Yeah I know, it's not exactly the same, but is still useful. For example, I can be doing something HDD/CPU intensive or downloading something on one computer and doing something else on the other computer without having to worry about slowdowns. The only downside is I have to switch between 2 keyboards and 2 mice. Sometimes I forget that and I try to drag the cursor from one monitor to the other or try to type something with the wrong keyboard .

Other than that, I like my setup. Right now, it consists of 2 CRTs - a 19" SyncMaster 955DF and a 17" Dell Trinitron D1025HTX, both running at 1024x768 @85Hz. I know 1280x1024 is better in terms of desktop space, but the fonts become too small IMO, and I really hate having to get close to the monitor just to read what it says. I prefer my monitors as far away as possible from my face.

Before the Trinitron, I used to have a 19" HP w19b LCD widescreen there, but that was my friend's monitor (he just didn't come to pick it up for a month after I fixed it). It was quite a nice monitor. Very bright and had excellent color - even better than some CRTs (of course after I played around with the color controls for an hour).

Comment

2 monitors doesn't work for me. I still run DOS programs and windows doesn't emulate full screen DOS windows correctly when there is more than one monitor.

Besides, I'd rather have one 30" monitor than a hundred of any others. 2560x1600 is like a whole new world. My 30" broke and I had to downgrade to a 26". Oh the humanity!
                                sig files are for morons

Comment

Scenic; The Dell U2311H is a great 23" IPS monitor
                                  It costs only SEK2000 before taxes in Sweden so should be around €200 in Germany...

EDIT, Store in Germany selling it: http://www.computeruniverse.net/prod...nt=610&pm=b+AT
                                  And with good I mean good like a Dell 2209WA or Eizo S2000
                                  Last edited by Per Hansson; 02-19-2011, 03:13 AM.
                                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I prefer the 2 computers solution too. Usually the one is broadcasting live TV (Eizo Flexscan L767 19" 1280x1024 bought at 2004 for 1056euros...) and the other is for internet, mp3s etc (Samsung Syncmaster 710N 17" 1280x1024 got it for free 9 months ago).
                                    Last edited by goodpsusearch; 02-19-2011, 05:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                      Other than that, I like my setup. Right now, it consists of 2 CRTs - a 19" SyncMaster 955DF and a 17" Dell Trinitron D1025HTX, both running at 1024x768 @85Hz. I know 1280x1024 is better in terms of desktop space, but the fonts become too small IMO, and I really hate having to get close to the monitor just to read what it says.
                                      Back when i was still using my 2 Eizo FlexScan F520 17" CRTs, i used the 4:3 resolution in between those two... 1152x864 (@85Hz)

Comment

Eizo made great CRTs. The auto set function rocks. I have a 19" that i no longer use since my Nokia fits precisely on my desk and the Eizo is wider in the back. An internet cafe in my grandparents' town has 21" Eizos, they've been going solid for at least 7 years now. When they dump them i'll be around to pick up a couple. I ran 1152x864 back when i was still using a 17" - guess i have sharper eyes.

I'm squeezing everything out of the poor Nokia - i use 1440x1080 (defined as custom resolution using PowerStrip) because it's the highest res it'll do 85Hz at. It took quite a bit of calibration to get a clean screen ie no convergence or focus errors at this resolution. Last time i calibrated it was last year, it's going to be at least two more before it needs another run. And if i still have it in 2 years time... it means i didn't do my business properly. Btw, i picked the Nokia up for $15 about 3 years ago.

Anyway, the LG LCD has left the building. This produced a problem - Winamp's jump to file dialog was on the LG... now find that dialog box if you can.
                                        Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 02-19-2011, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X