The 2023 Operating System Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 2023 Operating System Thread

As usual for these threads, vote the OS you use on what you consider to be your main system / 'daily driver' system.

I have migrated pretty much all of my browser stations to Linux Mint 21.1, but my main PC in my office is running server 2016 standard carved into a workstation.....so I selected Win10, since it's in the 10 family.
    Windows 11
    0%
    Windows 10
    0%
    Windows 8/8.1
    0%
    Windows 7
    0%
    Windows Vista or older (to include XP, W2K,or older MS OS)
    0%
    MacOS / OSx
    0%
    Some flavor of Linux (brag on your distro in a post)
    0%
    What's a PC? Phones are where it's at!
    0%
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: The 2023 Operating System Thread

10 Enterprise IoT over everything that can run it. 11 is hot garbage IMO.
    Main rig:
    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
    16GB DDR3-1600
    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
    Delux MG760 case

Comment

10 for work, Arch for play.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

good to see 11 has no votes.

surprised nobody voted for osx though.

Comment

Still running Macs I voted OSX running Monterrey on my 2021 14 inch MBP and upgraded the 13 inch MBP M1 to Ventura.
          My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Both my personal main machine and work laptop still run Windows 7 (with paid ESU updates) however this is the last month they will be released.
            So in all likely-hood I'll have to change to something supported like 10 or 11 and this really makes me sad as this still holds 100% true what I wrote a long while ago:
            "As for Windows 10 I must say it disappoints me more as time passes, a first for a Windows release!"
            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
              "As for Windows 10 I must say it disappoints me more as time passes, a first for a Windows release!"
              I feel your pain. I just never warmed up to 10... Windows 7 took SP1 before I really took a liking to it..... I've got 11 running on a few test beds here.....but it's not making me feel all gooey inside either....hence a partial migration to Linux.... Server '16 STD makes a good workstation without all the M$ nannyware & bloatware in it, the same can be said for Enterprise as well....but it's not easy to get a clean key for enterprise.

I've test bedded S2K19 and S2K22. S2K22 is the 21H2 interface and functions quite nice...but in 19 and 22, they monkeyed up some of the security features, haven't figured out a solution....maybe you know....but creating a local Admin account; added to the admininstrators usergroup, that account doesn't seem to have full admin rights, you can't even change the time zone for crying out loud....you have to login with the actual admin account to make some of the silliest changed.
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

XP4EVA!

Maybe that should have been my handle for this forum, but who knew I'd stick with it that long.

Yup, still on XP, with Mypal browser, and still pounding on a socket 478 -based Pentium 4 HT Prescott... namely, my trusty ol' Dell Optiplex 170L:
                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=775

This January 20th, it would be its 10th "birthday" ever since I installed its OS and started using it. Ironic, as 2013 was the year XP went EOL. And the machine/hardware itself was already used up quite a bit in an office environment before I got it. Being from 2005... that's 18 years of service life!

There's nothing to convince me that anyone will build hardware or an OS like this today. Just not happening. Everyone wants to keep the wheel turning and stay in business. No one has interest in making anything that lasts, because... well, they would be out of business then.

Originally posted by stj View Post
                good to see 11 has no votes.
                That's 'cause this isn't a gamer / M$ shill forum.

surprised nobody voted for osx though.
                If only Keri_Jane was here, there'd be another vote.
                Speaking of missing people again, she's one for the list too, though if I understand, she just left due to disagreements with other members.

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                I feel your pain. I just never warmed up to 10...
                Same here.

Though I never warmed up to 7 either - maybe just only slightly more, since at least in 7, I can still control updates and whatnot (well, not anymore, now that it's EOL, but I'm OK with that.)

On the other hand, I have, but just very very barely, warmed up to Win10. Not more than to 7, of course. However, I had to due to Epic games being retarded. Not sure if they have actual monkeys writing the code to their launcher and games... but their launcher is supposed to work with Windows 7, and it doesn't/didn't. Funny part is, it did work perfectly fine, and then stopped right after a small update. Of course, I found an old version on another HDD of mine and used it to launch my games with it. When I did that, the launcher would update itself and so refuse to start again next time... until I copied over it with the old version again. I did that for almost half a year in 2021, until the game that I was trying to run at the time (Fortnite) stopped launching on Windows 7. Again, this game is supposed to be compatible with Windows 7, but it won't work. What's ironic is that it happened to 2 different Win 7 PCs right at the same time after a certain update (Chapter 2 to Chapter 3.) After this, I just had to put Win10 on at least 1 machine if I wanted to play it.

The best part is that, while I do have a few Win7 Pro keys that I can use to activate Win10, I -chose- absolutely not to go that route. Instead, I installed Win10 Home (silly me, should have went with Pro, as it was on a dual socket system, and Win10 Home sees the 2nd CPU but refuses to use it). And because I want to stick it to M$, I chose not to activate it either. I thought the thing would stop running after 30 days, or something like that, like back in the XP days. It didn't! I've been using it for more than a year now, IIRC. And I know that with 10 Home, you can't turn off telemetry or updates, which is why I'm pissing my pants with laughter - I want M$ to see that I am intentionally not going to activate.

Yes, the non-activated version does display a watermark on the lower-right of the screen... but in all honesty, it's hardly visible and doesn't even bother me.

So of all the fleet/hoard of computers that I have, it's an almost equal split now between Windows XP and Windows 7 machines... and ONE Windows 10 machine.
                Also have an experimental Win98 machine and a bunch of old laptops with Win2k. Though if/when I get time, the # of Win98 machines might just grow quite a bit here. For retro gaming, Win98 is quite sought after. And honestly, I get quite the nostalgia trip too when I see the Windows 95 and 98 boot / loading screens. Those are some of my first memories of PCs when I was a kid.

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                Both my personal main machine and work laptop still run Windows 7 (with paid ESU updates) however this is the last month they will be released.
                Well, at least I'm glad to see some workplaces still allowing / running Windows 7 machines.

I was a hold-out on my last job and told them that it did run Windows 10, when in fact it only ran Windows 7.
                Before anyone says, Oh, but that's a security concern... ahem -no, not in our case. The machines were VPN-ing to a local server in order to access the toll system software and system. No access from outside internet connections. If you were connected to outside internet, then the VPN had to be stopped. So it was fairly secure, I'd say.

Anyways, the reason I kept my laptop with 7 is because I paid and upgraded it to an SSD myself. Meanwhile, some of the other techs were struggling with Win10 (a few on mechanical HDDs too). The worst is if/when we got overnight calls for a repair ticket. The difference between waiting 5-10 minutes for your machine to boot (and close to 20 with those using mech. HDDs and Windows 10) and then try to troubleshoot a simple issue that only takes maybe 1 minute tops to reset vs. 30 seconds for my laptop to boot and less than a minute to do the same rest... night and day difference (literally!) I could get a call and fix an issue in less than 5 minutes, then back to sleep. Stay away for longer, and may not fall asleep again. So it mattered.
                Last edited by momaka; 01-02-2023, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Debian Testing on the main rig here (and my main laptop), still have the 98SE/2000/XP64/Debian quad-boot box in the Tech Room, and I'm expanding my fleet by a couple of systems, one on Debian 11, the other going to be running Debian Testing.

Then there's the Gateway 2000 80486 system with Windows for Workgroups 3.11 on it, as well as the various VMs on the main workstation that run stuff like Debian 2.2, Windows XP, 7, and 10 Enterprise.
                  Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                  RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                  Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                  - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                  - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                  - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                  - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                    Debian Testing on the main rig here (and my main laptop), still have the 98SE/2000/XP64/Debian quad-boot box in the Tech Room, and I'm expanding my fleet by a couple of systems, one on Debian 11, the other going to be running Debian Testing.

Then there's the Gateway 2000 80486 system with Windows for Workgroups 3.11 on it, as well as the various VMs on the main workstation that run stuff like Debian 2.2, Windows XP, 7, and 10 Enterprise.
                    you should get freedos and warp4 to finish the set

Comment

you should get freedos and warp4 to finish the set
                      As soon as I can get another big SCSI drive for the 486 system, I'll probably do that. Maybe even toss 95 into the mix for funsies!
                      Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                      RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                      Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                      - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                      - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                      - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                      - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

skip 95 - it's just 98 without the usb drivers and other convenient stuff

Comment

Still strugglin' with XP ...
                          but it's 2023 and I think it's time to upgrade ...
                          must have some VISTA DVD somewhere ...

BTW there's https://soggi.org/misc/tools.htm#browsers
                          a list of browser that still works fine with XP,

Basilisk Serpent 55 it's really good!

Comment

Mine still hasn't changed.

Main desktop: Windows 10
                            Laptop: Windows 10 "for now" (it keeps trying to install 11)
                            Old computers: One with XP, one with 98SE, one with original 98

Comment

i have a harddrive here with 98 on it,
                              and the amd k6² motherboard it ran with.
                              i'm toying with the idea of putting it back in a case again - just for fun.
                              it's the last "system" i ran before going 100% Linux.
                              it has a bunch of software on it for programming and configuring stuff - so i kept it intact.

Comment

My K6-2 + (yes, I got lucky enough to get a Plus!) resides in what was a rather cheap but surprisingly stable and good PCChips M726MRT build w/ a 533MHz Mendocino.

I wanted to house a period correct (if you can call it that, considering some of the parts I used were made past the year the mobo, a Luckytech P5MVP3, was released) and since the other AT case I had was dismantled and thrown away (it wasn't salvageable anymore - screw holes were pretty much FUBAR), I decided to retire the 533MHz Mendocino Celeron in favor of the K6-II+.

Slapped a Voodoo 3 3000, about 256MB of RAM (max cacheable on my mobo, I could theoretically get a lot more if I can source a 1MB or 2MB cache chip for it), a 10GB Seagate drive from an upgraded OG Xbox, an ASUS DVDRW drive (chosen because it was the most reliable disc drive I had on hand, and is small in size.), Realtek NIC (had numerous bad experiences with Intel and 3com cards, enough to steer clear from them - Realtek cards are the near perfect definition of plug and play on those older systems) and IIRC, a Yamaha YMF719 soundcard.

All running 98SE. Planning on adding Plus! on it, as well as most 98 patches and fixes. I do also have a ME machine that will need to be recased (Duron 1600 Palomino, FX5200, 20GB Deskstar, 768MB RAM, ECS K7VZA flashed to Shuttle AK12A) but that's for another day.

Now... only to figure what would work best for a Win2k machine. Dual CPU stuff is unfortunately out of the question - I wish I could source a cheap BP6 that wouldn't require me to burn my wallet to a crisp with the shipping. About everything else in the recipe for a dual CPU machine would be attainable for me - the mainboard though, that's gonna be a tougher-than-nail-walking challenge to do.

I'd also give a 95 machine a spin - this one would probably be not too hard to do - a Pentium MMX, a S3 card, a 3 GB Maxtor, some 16 or 32MB SDR sticks (yea, I'm a proud owner of a 32MB (I think, not sure so I'll have to check) EDO SDRAM DIMM.) should suffice for a fully fledged 95 machine. I guess I could replace the S3 with an ATI Rage XL PCI card though - I theoretically would only have to replace the voltage regulator so it can run on older machines - if this thing can manage any form of 3D, that is.
                                Last edited by Dan81; 01-04-2023, 10:19 AM.
                                Main rig:
                                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                                16GB DDR3-1600
                                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                                120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                                Delux MG760 case

Comment

I was wondering about one of my machines, original K6 with motherboard that doesn't cache more than 64MB RAM. With 256MB SDRAM installed it's not as horrible as I recall another machine I had with caches turned off, but I suspect it's leaving some performance on the table - whether to go back to 64MB just to have caching enabled is worth it, and then be penalized with swapping...

Oh and Linux is on this machine...

Comment

Nice to see so many Socket 7 guys around here. I have a couple Asus P5A-B motherboards, which were the crown jewels of K62 & K63 systems way back when, Supported nice array of FSB's and had an AGP! Some day I'll make something out of them.
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

I don't have any decent socket 7 motherboards right now. It's just that one Compaq with onboard video that shares system RAM and a dead Gateway board with a 430TX chipset (only caches 64MB of RAM). At least the Gateway board is standard ATX, but I don't know if it's worth trying to fix. I had an Asus P5A many years ago, and it was a nice board, aside from the AGP bugs that every socket 7 chipset seemed to have.

Comment

oh dear! this 2023 os thread is being derailed into an amd socket 7 thread! hahaha!
                                        *blames stj*
                                        i have a harddrive here with 98 on it,
                                        and the amd k6² motherboard it ran with.

Comment

Working...
                                        X