Symptom question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm baaaaack!!!

Well, that was painful. I tried just moving the drives from my old server to what is now my old desktop. I very carefully noted on each cable which connector it had been attached to and which drives were connected to it but something didn't work. Not sure if the Promise IDE paddle I used to provide more ports has a problem or whether asking several Linux software RAID pairs to move was too much.

At least the server is back up. I've got e-mail back and the web site plus the blog is up. I still need to get dSPAM working and a couple of other things. I'll probably build my new desktop next week.

Cheers,
    Dave
    Quitely implementing RFC 1925 wherever I go.

Comment

Re: Symptom question

Looks like my post of a picture of my KG7-RAID was a casualty of the site rebuild. I'll post it again over in the "hall of shame" thread.

Also, I had a chance to blow the dust out of the PSU and it is questionable. Several of the capacitors are at least slightly bulged. Unfortunately, there is some goo of some sort that got smeared over several parts of the PSU including the capacitors. This looks a little different than what leaked out of the capacitors on the motherboard and it's in several locations besides the capacitors.

Cheers,
      Dave

Comment

Your goo is glue.

They (the factory) uses some sort of glue to hold the parts in place until they are soldered in.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
          Your goo is glue.

They (the factory) uses some sort of glue to hold the parts in place until they are soldered in.
          Thanks. That's what it looked like but I wasn't sure. Way too much of it for it to be electrolite and in places that don't make any sense for electrolite.

The PSU has a couple of slightly bulged capacitors but none appear to be leaking. It may be my guinea pig for seeing how I do at replacing capacitors on a PCB. It's not like a 400w PSU is worth paying to have repaired.

Cheers,
          Dave

Comment

perfect unit to learn on.
            if it dies on the operating table its no big loss.
            i saw the abit pics.
            if you do well on the psu that board is worth recapping.old school but reliable.

Comment

Here's a link to my blog with a more complete description of my upgrade adventures if anyone is interested.

Cheers,
              Dave

Comment

yep those caps are history all right on the MB
                VRM output caps around the CPU

By the sounds of it the psu is going too...so yeah recap for both is in order

Although I think the MB would have been the main culprit for your problems at this point...PSU not far behind

As KC8 said its worth a shot at doing it yourself on the psu (and MB)
                caps aren't overly expensive but then you do have to get a solder iron etc.

Its not rocket science but a bit of practice to hone you skills with a soldering iron cap removal and clearing holes (via's), find some junk stuff to practice on

if you do take the time to learn I think you will be glad you did, if you play around with older boxes its a good "skill" to have in your bag of tools and tricks

Thanks for keeping us posted.

loved the statement at the top of the page and what are those prop jobs? Mustangs?...love the old prop jobs

Cheers
                You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Originally posted by starfury1
                  loved the statement at the top of the page and what are those prop jobs? Mustangs?...love the old prop jobs

Cheers
                  Yeah, they're Mustangs. The picture is from the "Gathering of Mustangs and Legends" at Rickenbacker AFB near Columbus, Ohio last year. The tie in to my by-line is each one of those airplanes represents at least a $1M investment on the part of the owner. Some hobbies are more expensive than others .

Lots more pictures from GML 2007 on my web site (http://davenjudy.org) under interests.

Cheers,
                  Dave

Comment

Working...
                  X