Replacing KZG's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Replacing KZG's

I got a bios with the correct microcode injected, I think. If you wouldn't mind checking :

Running OCCT now.
    Attached Files

Comment

Looks good to me...

Can you run HWMonitor and post a pic of the temps, for curiosity's sake?

Also, if you put a finger on the northbridge heatsink, how hot would you say it is?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by mockingbird; 02-26-2015, 01:58 PM.
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Currently my northbridge is sat at 38.2oC, southbridge at 40.8.

CPU VRMs are 39.8 (average)

The northbridge was in the region of "stupidly hot" before I did the mod. 70+ at times I'd estimate.

Core 0 has always sat a couple degrees hotter then the other 3. I'm going to load it back up and check the temps under load.
        Attached Files

Comment

after 10 mins of stress testing

Northbridge 50.2oC
          Southbridge 45.0oC
          CPU VRM 63.6oC

Comment

Don't pay attention to per-core temperatures... They were know to be wildly accurate in this generation of chips. On another P5B where I have an identical Harpertown chip, cores 3 and 4 are more than 10 degrees hotter than 1 and 2, at all times.

What I would do is take off the northbridge heatsink, clean off that sticky putty they use, and apply some high quality grease.
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

right so I've replaced the thermal putty with some as5.

I haven't noticed any 'absences' since changing the caps... however I've left occt running today to try to check the stability and looking at the graphs has me slightly concerned...

What's with the frequency drop at ~210 mins?

For the past 2 hours I've been running prime and according to occt my bus speed has dropped to 290Mhz during that time.

occt does claim my cpu temps are all 15 degrees higher then I believe they are. (HW Monitor 53, occt 68)

The fun part of trying to test a fix on intermittent faults eh?
              Attached Files

Comment

You're aware that C1E and Enhanced SpeedStep drop the multiplier and bus speed to idle the CPU, right? I can't tell you why it happened during the test though. If you disable C1E and Enhanced Speedstep (I think they only work independently of one another, so only one is actually enabled eve if you have both enabled in the BIOS - in which case, Enhanced Speedstep is superior to C1E IIRC), your system won't last as long.

If you really really want to have your computer running at 3GHZ all the time, you can disable C1E, SpeedStep, and then change the power plan in Windows from Balanced to Performance. This will significantly shorten the life of your system. Heck, I have my E5430 underclocked from 2.6 to 2.1, and I'm undervolting to about 1.35V or so.

On an unrelated note, it occurs to me that your 8800 needs a good cleaning. Is it still perfectly stable after all these years?

Comment

Yeah, fully aware... just a bit overly cautious as I'm chasing what was a intermittent thing that I might not see for days at a time... or on the other hand some days make me want to throw the keyboard through the window as it hung on every minute or for minutes at a time.

I'm quite happy with its frequent 2GHz trips... but normally it does it by dropping the multiplier to 6x, my FSB doesn't move....

Erm the 8800 has never missed a beat until recently where it wouldn't wake up gracefully from when the computer was put to sleep about half the time. I put that down to the northbridge when I saw the dodgy cap... and as it hasn't happened since.. so hopefully that fixed..

It looks worse than it is, There is muck engrained into the thermal putty they have used for the memory, and I haven't replaced it because I haven't got anything suitable to hand. It's possibly only been a 3 months since the rest of it was cleaned and new tim on the core.

She'll happily run furmark for a few hours and stay sub 80oC with no visible errors.

Comment

Working...
                  X