Bi Polar vs. Non Polarized Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any difference? Are they interchangeable?

Re: Bi Polar vs. Non Polarized Caps

What a stupid question.

A polarized capacitor has negative and positive and it matters how you put it in the circuit. If you put it the other way around, it will get damaged.

A bipolar capacitor doesn't care about the polarity, because it's built in a special way: "full-thickness oxide layers are formed on both the aluminum foil strips prior to assembly. On the alternate halves of the AC cycles, one of the foil strips acts as a blocking diode, preventing reverse current from damaging the electrolyte of the other one." (shameless wikipedia copy paste because apparently people can't fucking google : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolytic_capacitor )

They're also called not polarized or non polar (NP) capacitors so in a way they're the same thing. But don't confuse them with other types of capacitors which are by their nature without polarity (ceramic capacitors, film capacitors etc)

You can make electrolytic capacitors that don't care about polarity by connecting two in series with the same polarity ex -.. + +.. -

See https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...bd1d3d06f2.pdf page 13. And the whole pdf in general as educational material.
    Last edited by mariushm; 03-08-2014, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

@mariushm. Sorry for the "stupid question" What is even more stupid is that you took the time out of you obvious busy life to even reply.

"A polarized capacitor has negative and positive and it matters how you put it in the circuit. If you put it the other way around, it will get damaged."

My question had nothing to do with Polarized capacitors.

Sorry we can't all be experts!

Comment

Originally posted by landyboy View Post
          My question had nothing to do with Polarized capacitors.

Originally posted by landyboy View Post
          Any difference? Are they interchangeable?
          Funny, that sure looks like a question . . . . about polarized capacitors.

Comment

No not really, As we already established I am no expert but a Polarized Cap has a definite polarity and believe it or not I already knew that. I did "google" my question first before I posted this thread. From what I read about NP and BP Caps they appeared to be interchangeable since neither had a specific polarity. I just thought since I do respect a lot of members on this site I would ask the question here. Maybe one of the Moderators can chime in here, possibly they should add a disclaimer that only intelligent questions are permitted and you two can be the judges.

Comment

Not sure why people can't read but the question was Bi Polar vs. Non Polarized Caps, Any difference? Are they interchangeable?

The correct answer is:

No there is no difference, NON Polarized Caps and Bi Polar Caps are the same just different names, and yes they are interchangeable.

Polarized Caps (Which he did not ask about) must follow polarity to work correctly and prevent damage.

Comment

Thank You!

Comment

It's actually not a stupid question at all...

I think I read on this forum somewhere that non-polarized caps always become polarized when used in a circuit.

...or am I mistaken in my assumption that BP caps aren't necessarily used in circuits without polarity per se (or circuits that fluctuate between + and _... does this exist?), but rather in applications where they can be inserted either way and the circuit is not susceptible to error in manufacture... If this is the case, then shouldn't a BP cap be replaceable with a polarized cap after the polarity of the circuit has been determined?
                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                    Not sure why people can't read but the question was Bi Polar vs. Non Polarized Caps, Any difference? Are they interchangeable?

The correct answer is:

No there is no difference, NON Polarized Caps and Bi Polar Caps are the same just different names, and yes they are interchangeable.

Polarized Caps (Which he did not ask about) must follow polarity to work correctly and prevent damage.
                    This

There is no need to be rude mariushm

Comment

I think you know me guys, and you know that I'm not normally rude, and I do my best to help people here.

In this case, the OP asked in another thread and got his reply, then he decided to create a new thread anyway instead of continuing there.

Here's the previous thread: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31214

In addition, a simple google search or browsing through Technical Notes of various capacitors manufacturers would have clarified this issue.

Rubycon , Nippon Chemi Con, Nichicon, they all have technical notes and education material almost on the main page of their websites, explaining how capacitors are manufactured and explain everything.

Comment

I have some analog synthesizers that utilize bi-polar electrolytics in specific areas (assuming that the electrons must flow either way). I haven't been able to source replacements, and the only ones I could find were hideously expensive and marketed in audio applications (which I guess would make sense given that they are analog audio circuits). I'll have to browse digikey later.

Not many people even know that bipolar electrolytics exist if you ask them. Sort of like if you ask musicians about temperaments or 440Hz being introduced recently as a master pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by theokretes View Post
                          I have some analog synthesizers that utilize bi-polar electrolytics in specific areas (assuming that the electrons must flow either way). I haven't been able to source replacements, and the only ones I could find were hideously expensive and marketed in audio applications (which I guess would make sense given that they are analog audio circuits). I'll have to browse digikey later.
                          Digikey has them, the Nichicon ES series. the prices aren't too bad

http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...=0&pageSize=25

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                            In this case, the OP asked in another thread and got his reply, then he decided to create a new thread anyway instead of continuing there.

Here's the previous thread: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31214
                            Yeah but that thread got a bit derailed by someone else with confusion over NP and BP capacitors, so I can understand why he would want to post another thread for clarification.
                            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                            -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                              Yeah but that thread got a bit derailed by someone else with confusion over NP and BP capacitors, so I can understand why he would want to post another thread for clarification.
                              LOL. that's my fault . I realized my fault and feel that I have ever read on my country language site mention 2 type caps on electronic e.g Non polar and Bipolar caps is different. Maybe there is some typo on them.
                              Last edited by senz_90; 03-18-2014, 12:51 AM.
                              "There is no shortcut to be successful. No pain, no gain."

Best Regards
                              Rudi
                              Thank You

Comment

Working...
                              X