General Cap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Cap question

When replacing caps should you generally stay within the same type of cap? More specifically if the caps that need to be replaced are general-use types of caps should you replace them with the same type or go for low-esr caps? I am asking because I am going to recap a Linksys WRT54G that has some crappy Hermei caps. You would think that since Linksys is a division of Cisco that they would use good caps inside their products; I guess maybe the general consumer division is a exception .

Re: General Cap question

there are general use caps, even some 85oc caps which are not too bad specs. therefore be careful if you spot general use caps and replace them with quite inferior replacements.

you should use low esr caps inside that unit. they dont even have to be the lowest esr. best to go with something with more endurance especially if that unit is quite toasty inside or you will install it outside.

cisco products are many times more expensive and better caps, better quality, go figure.
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
      cisco products are many times more expensive and better caps, better quality, go figure.
      Thats true, Got a box of dead linksys routers to prove it.
      Jim

Comment

then again anything cisco requires a significant amount of bookreading to get the full benefit of it. goddamn IOS syntax
        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I have replaced those caps in my wrt54g with some 1500uf Rubycon MCZ. Sure in any way overkill, but it works. Some 470uf long life low esr typ should be the better way to do the job. If you can get some i suggest Panasonic FC or the long life series from Rubycon. For this unit some regular 105°c should be fine too.

Comment

chemicon LXZ/LXY, nichicon HE, and rubycon YXF is my favorit for those tasks. they can even have the endurance of 10k hours at 105C.
            days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Just FYI I have setup a few dozen Linksys WRT54GS AP's, plus seen many on forums

Never seen one with a badcap...
              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Working...
              X