Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first recap -FAIL! Please offer advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My first recap -FAIL! Please offer advice.

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
    Well it's several years old and it's been OK so far,
    I would love to see pictures of the insides of this multimeter. I'm studying multimeters and like to learn more.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by Davisdog View Post
      bigbeark,

I did test it outside of the case, sitting on cardboard. Same deal. I'm using a 30 watt pencil style iron, from Radio Shack. One of the legs of the problem cap had broken off inside the hole. I had a heck of a time getting it out. When I was done, the hole looked pretty nasty. I have already tried reflowing it, along with all the rest, but there was no change. I didn't mess with the other poly's at all.
      I hate to say it, but I'm thinking you tore the via trying to get that "leg" out.
      In my experience 30W is completely inadequate for motherboard work. 50W should be considered the minimum. I have one of those Radio Shack Irons and was able to remove a few caps but it wasn't really working very well. I spent the bucks and got a Hakko 936 solder station. They have come down in price from when I got mine, but that's what you need for this work. You need the 1/8 inch chisel-tip on that iron too.

When you are unsoldering those VRM caps, there are some big copper-rich traces inside the board that just suck up the heat and stop you from nelting the solder enough. Result: the leg sticks in the board and if you try to remove it you damage the board.

The only way a gutless iron is going to work is if you preheat the entire board in the oven first and frankly just get a good iron and save yourself the bother.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
        I would love to see pictures of the insides of this multimeter. I'm studying multimeters and like to learn more.
        Sure, here they are.
        Attached Files
        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
        -David VanHorn

Comment

One of the nicest 830's I've seen.

An insulator between the battery and board.
          Board is one piece!

I've outlined the board in your pic, showing where that stupid 'jack board' would normally be. It would only be held by solder!

Did you trim and resolder the leads for the transistor socket? The bad 830s would have those leads left as long as a quarter inch!

You may continue to use that, *carefully* of course

-Paul
          Attached Files
          "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
          Originally posted by shango066
          All style and no substance.
          Originally posted by smashstuff30
          guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
          guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

No I didn't do any modifications to it, the photos show how it came from the shop.

Sounds like the cheaper versions are pretty bad though!

Only bad thing with mine was that the test leads broke in months, can't remember details but I got much better ones from DSE which have been perfect ever since.
            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
            -David VanHorn

Comment

I hear you on the test leads. Months you say? Usually one month, tops. It would indeed seem like yours is a better one.

Unless used for resistance or where there's no chance of high energy faults, those really bad ones with the jack board should be destroyed on sight. Accident prevention, ya know

That's exactly what I did to the one mentioned above. It may have been possible to fix, but the guy only paid 4 bucks for it. Not worth it.

-Paul
              "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
              Originally posted by shango066
              All style and no substance.
              Originally posted by smashstuff30
              guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
              guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

I have a cheap, no-name, run-of-the-mill, 830D. I've had it for over 10 years now. Still works great. Other than the leads breaking after 1 month like you mentioned, I've never had any other problems with it. Used it quite a few times to measure 110 and 240 VAC as well as 320 VDC in PSUs. No explosions.
                And I can't tell you how many electronics I've been able to save with it.
                So if the OP needs a multimeter just to test this motherboard only, then by all means a cheap [<$10] 830 will be fine (just make sure it works before you buy it ).
                Like Agent24 said, a cheap multimeter is still better than no multimeter at all.

Comment

Howdy all,

Thanks for the advice and direction. Unfortunately it seems that my heavy hand and inexperience led to me destroying this mobo. That's not 100% yet, as I don't have a DMM to check it with, but I'm fairly certain.

As I couldn't do without a functioning desktop anymore, I purchased a new mobo (and a larger PSU.) Now, if I could only get the OS to load.......

Davisdog.

Comment

Yeah if you change motherboard you will usually get into some problems because the hardware is so different and the drivers are all wrong.

Try safe mode, if you're lucky that might work, then, uninstall all irrelevant drivers and try normal mode again.

Other than that, might need to do a repair install of windows (but a full reinstall would be the best)
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

What OS are you running?

Comment

Probably windows Vistrash/Visturd
                        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I've got Vista Home Premium, but it's an OEM version that came with the PC. I can't get it to load at all, but when I go into the recovery options, the system does see my HD with all the files, but will only let me access drivers that are already on the system or on a disk.

Comment

post a pic of the cap you had trouble getting out.
                            a torn via may or may not be critical.

Comment

I'll try to get a decent picture of that cap a little latter today. Might be a bit of a chore though - I'm having camera issues that rival my computer issues.

Comment

nVidia chipset on the old board.
                                What's the new board?

Comment

I bought a asus M2N68-AM PLUS. Using the old processor (AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+) and the two 1 gig sticks of DDR2 from the old system. The new PSU and mobo let me install three HD's I had laying around, so backups shouldn't be an issue anymore. After I figured out that there was a long leg from one of the components contacting the case, the rest of the install went pretty smooth. I did have to buy a new OS though. I got Windows 7 Home Premium. So far so good.

No chance to mess with the camera yet. I'm not home until tomorrow and I'll be sleeping all day, so maybe the next day.

Comment

Working...
                                  X