LC Power LC6420

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LC Power LC6420

really crappy. everything cramped up, bad caps, just silly looking thing.
    it costed as much as a decent fortron supply, can't really say why. probably beacuse it was bought here, where pc-shops are scarce so anybody can put as high price as he wants...

beware, don't buy this.
    Attached Files

Re: LC Power LC6420

It may be rated unrealistically, but it doesn't look too bad. I'd probably recap it, replace the fan and continue to use it.

Comment

L&C? I have a home for those...

http://www.denvergov.org/Portals/522...Dumpster_1.jpg
      A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

LC Power and L&C are different brands, just to let you know

Comment

Gotcha. LC needs to change their name to avoid confusion.
          A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

Some dealers sell this psu in Italy for about 40 euro since a year: it's less crappy than Deers, but it's slightly overrated (a decent 300 W, but not a 400 one) and I don't know if there is an emi filter (it seems not, but I'm not sure).
            Can you tell me wires' thickness (AVG20 or 18)?

Zandrax
            Have an happy life.

Comment

I have used a few LC Power PSu`s too and i would say as long as they are cheap, they aren`t the badest you can get.
              Sure, the capacitors are not the best (but similar in OEm Seasonic & FSP), they are probably a little overrated and tend to fail more often then e.g. FSP ones and they are not that pretty designed.

But at least i haven`t heard, that one of the LCPower PSU`s would have caused damage to other components.
              In most cases, it does shut down in an event of error and this is for me the most important issue regarding PSu`s.
              I have all of them recapped, due to start up problems caused by bad caps at the 5v Sb & auxiliary supply.
              Apart from that, they are running fine at a nominal load of about 200w to 300w (for the 550w version i have bought ;-) ) and have survived a bunch of other POS.

But sure, today i avoid them, simply as i can get some OEM Seasonic or FSP cheaper and the fact that very good psu`s with good capacitors are more and more available as low as 50€ (Corsair, VX, HX, Seasonic S12 etc.).

Comment

It appears to have both an EMI/RFI filter as well as a PPFC choke. It's not too bad a design to recap and retain.

Comment

This is a Shenzhen/Huntkey build. It is not a very good PSU indeed:
                  http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/527

But I have to say some of the secondary capaciotrs are TEAPOs so not bad at all...

LC Power have good PSUs though. The ones based on CWT desings for example.

Comment

I brought 4 PSUs from mainland china B4:
                    a 300W Huntkey, a 250W Hopley ( now renamed as Great Wall) , a 350W Hedy
                    & a 350W segotep.

I Found Teapo caps in Huntkey & Segotep , Samxon caps in Hedy & unknown
                    cheap caps in Great Wall.
                    The 300W Huntkey also use AWG16 wire on 3.3V of the main 20-pin ATX connector.

Huntkey's quality is a bit above average in mainland china but
                    if a 500W version only gives out 200W to 300W is very bad.

EMI/RFI filter is a must for passing CCC certification in china
                    but manys PSUs are skipping a MOV.

Comment

Hardware Secrets test on that unit was bogus.

It says right on the box:
                      12v1 + 12v2 max = 286w
                      12v1 + 12v2 + 3.3v + 5v max =431w
                      Total max = 450w

If you watch the meter in the video it was at approx
                      12v1 + 12v2 = 293w
                      12v1 + 12v2 + 3.3v + 5v = 435w
                      Total max = 453w
                      when it blew.

Not that I think it's a great PSU but calling it bad when you exceed 3 power limits at the same time is bogus.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
                      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                      -

Comment

Here he tested a Dynex 400w which is the 400w version of the same Huntkey unit.
                        http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/557/1
                        He got 437w out of it without ripple going out of spec.

He keeps saying that the internal parts are identical but if you read the reviews the caps (size and brands) are different, main rectifying bridges are different, and the +12v rectifiers are different.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
                        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                        -

Comment

psu tests are crap: they're only good because you can see inside of the psu.
                          (which offcourse can change at any time...hehe).

Comment

If Huntkey honestly made its rated spec., it is good and worth recapping for longevity - period. Definitely worth considering in an era of overrated/overpriced junk PSUs with crap caps.

Comment

Working...
                            X