is it a faulty nec/tocin ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is it a faulty nec/tocin ?

when the laptop came to me, it was locking at win7 installation with psycedelic! screen, i reballed the i960 north bridge/gpu but it didnt work. Then i ordered a new chip and arrived yesterday. after a succesfull soldering, it worked great. i installed win7 without any problem. But then it started to restart every 6-7 minutes, i run into bios setup and change the values about cpu auto voltage or something like that to low,/save restart and its not ressetting now, but it hangs up with corrupt screen graphics showing desktop in drunk mode! (:P) the machine is toshiba a200 or 205 dont remember now today it was really busy, and also it has the cap NEC/TOKIN 0E907. any suggestions ?
    Last edited by spidey; 01-28-2013, 01:08 PM.

Re: is it a faulty nec/tocin ?

IMO, the NEC/TOKIN caps were responsible for issues like 'Not powering on when charger plugged in' and stuff like that. Hanging up on with corrupt screen graphics is some issue that can be related with ram related. Try swapping your ram.
    http://nishantpinto.blogspot.in/

Comment

Or look closer to VRAM chips. Sometimes needs reflowing...
      Laptops and computers repair.

Comment

IMO, the NEC/TOKIN caps were responsible for issues like 'Not powering on when charger plugged in' and stuff like that. Hanging up on with corrupt screen graphics is some issue that can be related with ram related. Try swapping your ram.
        Incorrect.

The Nec/Tokin chips are filtering capacitors for the CPU VRM. They rapidly lose their capacitance over a short time and will cause the instability you are experiencing.

Get four or five of these:
        http://cgi.ebay.com/261152785753

Search this forum for the Nec/Tokin thread so you can see an example of how to solder them in. It should solve your problem.
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

i'll dot it today.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
            Incorrect.

The Nec/Tokin chips are filtering capacitors for the CPU VRM. They rapidly lose their capacitance over a short time and will cause the instability you are experiencing.
            Thank you for the correction, Sire.
            http://nishantpinto.blogspot.in/

Comment

fixed .

Comment

Originally posted by spidey View Post
                fixed .
                how ? token>?

Comment

first i tried with 16 caps, from another mobo's from the same place under the cpu socket. but it didnt work. then i desoldered 2 ea 330 , and 2 ea 33(i didnt check from smd book but i think there're same) caps. and it works great now.
                  i attached the pics i took. hope it helps.
                  Attached Files

Comment

thanks

Comment

wrong place
                      sorry
                      Last edited by Napalm; 03-14-2013, 09:40 PM. Reason: wrong post

Comment

Spidey why did you place 2x 330 and 2x33 ?
                        the lowest values for tokin is 900.
                        Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

when the laptop came to me, it was locking at win7 installation with psycedelic! screen, i reballed the i960 north bridge/gpu but it didnt work. Then i ordered a new chip and arrived yesterday. after a succesfull soldering, it worked great. i installed win7 without any problem. But then it started to restart every 6-7 minutes, i run into bios setup and change the values about cpu auto voltage or something like that to low,/save restart and its not ressetting now, but it hangs up with corrupt screen graphics showing desktop in drunk mode! (:P) the machine is toshiba a200 or 205 dont remember now today it was really busy, and also it has the cap NEC/TOKIN 0E907. any suggestions ?
                          Hi spidey, was the problem also with only battery connected?.
                          Just for curiosity

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ricoh View Post
                            at that time i didnt have any other.
                            Last edited by spidey; 03-15-2013, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Francisco.s View Post
                              Hi spidey, was the problem also with only battery connected?.
                              Just for curiosity
                              No there wasnt any problem with battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Sindong View Post
                                This solution works but instead of using 4 330 caps i used 6 220's.
                                L300 working like new now. . .
                                Can you take a picture of the capacitor you use please. TY!

I'm really desperate, I can't find 330uf Tantalum SMD Capacitor 2.5v in our area for my Toshiba Satellite L300-1A3 System Unit.

Please help me look for the right Caps at http://philippines.rs-online.com

I'm from Philippines, I've been looking all over our city but failed to acquire it. Maybe some kind hearted Pinoy out here can extend assistance in purchasing. Can I ask for your extra 330uf Tantalum SMD Capacitor 2.5v or we can arrange a trade. You can send me the Caps and I'll send you the payment. I need 6-8 pieces of this capacitor.

All help is appreciated, TIA!
                                Last edited by teknub; 03-23-2013, 03:04 PM.

Comment

And the adapter may be too low of rating if it crashes with a corrupted screen.
                                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                                    And the adapter may be too low of rating if it crashes with a corrupted screen.
                                    Seen that happen with a very low cmos battery a few years back, spotted it because the date and time kept altering

Comment

Today i met an acer 4736z (mother board is Compal la-4494p) with nec tokin capacitor. At the first it could trigger and run normal with adaptor. Insert the battery without adaptor it could trigger too but didn't run.
                                      Checked all voltages it lost Vcore in this case. Thought it could be the nec tokin capacitor bad, so replaced this capacitor with four 330 other capacitors then inserted the battery it triggered and booted normal.
                                      So i think when nec tokin is bad it only couldn't run normal with adaptor but also with battery
                                      Sorry for my bad english
                                      Last edited by vvacl; 03-25-2013, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ricoh View Post
                                        it depends because when you put 4 x 330uf with different voltage rating it works momentarily for a couple of hours then will restart/auto-shutoff due to over heating when the ESR can increase enough to cause circuit malfunction and even component damage thus temperature rises.

Sometimes it is best to put low capacitance value first and observe the cpu if it gets hot as soon as you boot up for a couple of minutes.

Comment

Working...
                                        X