• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slow laptop after install norton internet security

I have a sony vaio vgn fs550

It has a centrino processor.
    512K memory.

It got real slow after installing norton internet security 2007.

Any ideas on why ?
    Any recommendations on which anti virus I could use that would use less
    resources.
    I was using CA. It wasn't so slow.

Re: slow laptop after install norton internet security

The reason why your computer is so slow is because Norton Internet Security is a bloated POS.

At the moment I am using the free internet security package, Comodo Internet Security. I am quite impressed with it. It is reasonably lean, seems to work well and is free.

Comment

your problem IS norton. norton does only 3 things:

waste resorces like memory and cpu

make microsoft THINK you are protected

and cost you money.

ditch norton and try:

mcaffe works well but is costly

avg was a good free one but has gotten a bit bloated

comodo free is good, but a bit over-reactive (have to tell it to allow a lot, but the install mode helps fix that)

or if you want to be safest, why not give linux a try? i like ubuntu- it is easy for noobs but allows peplr to get as technical as they want. it can actually be installed on windows now as a program that runs inside windows while still retaining most of the security.

what do you need the laptop to do? most things can be done with ubuntu that can be done on linux:

firefox default browser, opera can be installed sepratly

comes with openoffice preinstalled

has the codecs needed for playback of all media available for download (dvds require a special package that is hard to find, but i have backed up if needed)

runs faster

and runs almost all hardware. nvidia requires 5 min of the proprietary drives app for 3d support... erverything elso works out of the box (althoght the add/remove programs app is needed for things like tv tuners, etc.)

and its free

hope that helps
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

PRY that worthless of piece aka norton internet security 2007 off that laptop!

AVG, NOD32 etc are good as well, keep along one or two antispyware. Which I like is megabytes's.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

for those who are graphically minded:

Attached Files
          sigpic

Comment

I'd rather get a virus than use Norton. Even 100 viruses won't slow your computer down as much as Norton will. Uninstall that thing.
            ----
            There's a similar discussion about AVs here (McAfee in this case):
            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...4531#post74531

Comment

i dun like norton..... quite a memory hogging application
              i prefer bitdefender / nod32

Comment

I love Norton Antivirus and Internet Security.
                There is not a day that goes by, that I don't thank my lucky stars for Symantec selling this to the public.

Every destroyed machine that comes in for a total (expensive) rebuild has Norton Antivirus installed.

Thanks, Symantec.
                You keep me employed.

Comment

it is a bloated pos and it stop access to some genuine sites too

i use router with hardware firewall, windows firewall, symantec corporate (preferably older version). this is generally ok unless someone clicks on some malware. even installing spybot or something does not save people cos they just click ok when spybot pops up

antivirus is necessary here in the office cos there is many usb stick virii these days. especially on ships computers. pretty much guaranteed the next person that goes to a ship brings it back on his stick to the office
                  capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

norton/symantec stuff is trash except for older versions of ghost.
                    flush it.

Comment

www.sandboxie.com if you want to surf dangerous sites.

It works so well, I paid for a registered copy.
                      My wife is trained to use it constantly... no bug problems.

Comment

Not one soul said a word about avria. they make one of the best free anti-virus programs out now.
                        www.free-av.com is the site to get it from.
                        note that when you first install and use it you'll notice a popup ad that will pop up when it updates itself.

Found this when I was cursing yahoo answers on how to disable that nag screen:
                        http://www.elitekiller.com/files/dis...ntivir_nag.htm

Windows 2000:
                        1. Click Start, and then click Run
                        2. In the Open box, type gpedit.msc, and then click OK
                        3. Expand User Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, and then expand System
                        4. In the right pane, double-click Don't run specified Windows applications
                        5. Click Enabled, and then click Show
                        6. Click Add, and then type the executable file name of the program (avnotify.exe) that you want to restrict users from running.
                        7. Click OK, click OK, and then click OK (NOTE: If domain-level policy settings are defined, they may override this local policy setting.)
                        8. Quit Group Policy Object Editor
                        9. Restart the computer

Windows 2000/XP: (2000 & XP Pro do not require you to boot into safe mode)
                        1. Boot into Safe Mode (tap F8 repeatedly after you restart the computer)
                        2. Log in using the Administrator account
                        3. Go to C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avnotify.exe
                        4. Right-click avnotify.exe-> properties-> security-> advanced
                        5. Under the Permissions tab click on SYSTEM under Permission entries:
                        6. Edit-> Traverse Folder / Execute File-> deny-> ok ->apply-> yes -> ok-> ok
                        7. Reboot the computer into Normal Mode (start-> shutdown-> restart)

Windows XP Pro & Vista Business/Ultimate/Enterprise
                        1. Start-> Control Panel
                        2. Administrative tools-> Local security policy
                        3. Click on Software Restriction Policy-> Action (at the top)-> create new restriction policies
                        4. Right-click additional rules (on the right side)-> new path rule
                        5. Click Browse and navigate to C:\Program Files\(Avira)\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\ and double-click avnotify.exe
                        6. Set the security level to Disallowed-> apply-> ok

Windows Vista Home Premium
                        1. Go to C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avnotify.exe
                        2. Right-click avnotify.exe-> properties-> security->
                        3. Under the group or username SYSTEM click edit
                        4. Put a checkmark under the DENY column for "read and execute"
                        Last edited by pwrusr1; 07-11-2009, 10:57 PM. Reason: formatting doesn't work well in quick post mode :p

Comment

I excellent Anti Virus Program that I have been running on multiple computers for years is AntiVir. You can download the free version off AntiVirs Website. Frequent Updates, Fast Scanning and good detection.

Comment

[QUOTE=pwrusr1]Not one soul said a word about avria. they make one of the best free anti-virus programs out now.
                            www.free-av.com is the site to get it from.
                            note that when you first install and use it you'll notice a popup ad that will pop up when it updates itself.

I just read your post and I agree. As I said above I've been using AntiVir for years and it's been very good.

Comment

Originally posted by bgavin
                              I love Norton Antivirus and Internet Security.
                              There is not a day that goes by, that I don't thank my lucky stars for Symantec selling this to the public.

Every destroyed machine that comes in for a total (expensive) rebuild has Norton Antivirus installed.

Thanks, Symantec.
                              You keep me employed.
                              no, people who use nothing and abuse limewire destroy machines. i hate dumbasses who do that.
                              sigpic

Comment

Sorry, I forgot that Age 17 has more experience with computer service than my 35 years...

Comment

my friend did that to a laptop. dell with celeron-m and 256mb ram. i gave her xubuntu and and the limewire app and she was good to go.

kinda like her friend who refuses to use condoms. and yet she wonders how she got pregnant...
                                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                  X