Calling all crt repairmen!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling all crt repairmen!!!!!

HELLO ALL! I have 6 CRT monitors, ALL dead. I am thinking about having somebody from these forums that knows a lot about CRT monitors come down here to my place and help me restore AT LEAST 1 CRT monitor. Service should be free, I cannot spend ANY money AT ALL on these monitors being repaired/restored. Here are the requirements:
    • Must have good soldering/desoldering tools
    • Must have good soldering/desoldering skills
    • Must have detailed knowledge of CRT monitors
    • Must be able to lift 200-300 lbs(a Gateway2000 Vivitron 17 17" monitor could be 70 pounds or more)
    • Must have the proper equipment for discharging the high voltage CRT
    • Should have an abundance of good, QUALITY capacitors
    • Should have an ESR tester(IMPORTANT!!!!!)
    • Should have a digital multimeter
    • Should be able to acquire quality flyback transformers OR:
      Should have good, working, quality flyback transformers
    • Rubber gloves

You must have these skills/abilities/materials when coming to the worksite. I also have a MASSIVE screwdriver set that I use when opening up CRT monitors. I also have a light/medium understanding of CRT monitors. If you meet these requirements and are interested, contact me via PM. Thanks!
    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Re: Calling all crt repairmen!!!!!

retracted. obvious question.....
    Last edited by goontron; 05-18-2015, 06:49 AM.
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Comment

Hmm--Why do we need Rubber-Gloves--We doing the washing-up as well as monitor repairs, or maybe examining a cow's uterus via its rectum....?

In 30 odd years of CRT set repair--I NEVER EVER needed a ESR Meter--In fact its only the last 5 years or so Ive owned one!

TBH--I think if someone is going to the trouble of travelling and using their own time and equipment/spares etc to fix your stuff, then Very Few--IF Anyone would repair anything for free--for a total stranger!!

--You by rights, Should offer them SOMETHING for their efforts--or explain Why not!--maybe you're doing it for Charity--we have no idea from the first post!
        TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
        http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
        PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

What are you going to do with them once they are restored?
          Free flyback transformers and caps and using my equipment?
          Last edited by budm; 05-18-2015, 09:51 AM.
          Never stop learning
          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
            What are you going to do with them once they are restored?
            Free flyback transformers and caps and using my equipment?
            Use them every now and then for little hobby projects. Maybe dedicate 1 to be my primary monitor. I haven't really seen a working CRT in real life. I've seen 'em in Google photos galore, YouTube videos: slightly less, real life: Almost zero. CRT's have been phased out 1 by 1 by 1, you get it. Also, maybe I'll get a 386 computer and want rich colors. Make that "want rich colors" "want rich colors right now". If something is messed up on color on a LCD/LED monitor or similar(green looks too heavy), I won't put up with it if the monitor controls fail to fix it. Well, off to reply to other posts!
            Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
            Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alastair E View Post
              Hmm--Why do we need Rubber-Gloves--We doing the washing-up as well as monitor repairs, or maybe examining a cow's uterus via its rectum....?

In 30 odd years of CRT set repair--I NEVER EVER needed a ESR Meter--In fact its only the last 5 years or so Ive owned one!

TBH--I think if someone is going to the trouble of travelling and using their own time and equipment/spares etc to fix your stuff, then Very Few--IF Anyone would repair anything for free--for a total stranger!!

--You by rights, Should offer them SOMETHING for their efforts--or explain Why not!--maybe you're doing it for Charity--we have no idea from the first post!
              1. Rubber gloves: They insulate against the high voltage that the main filer caps, EHT connector metal, and other high voltage/amperage components give off/need. Nobody likes a nasty shock.

2. ESR meter: To measure capacitance. Too high leakage and things could act funny at the least. At the worst, the thing catches on fire. (REALLY BAD!!!!)

3. Examining a cow's uterus via it's RECTUM!?

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

"2. ESR meter: To measure capacitance. Too high leakage and things could act funny at the least. At the worst, the thing catches on fire. (REALLY BAD!!!!)" Simple ESR meter will not do capacitance, current leakage, etc. you can get cheap Chinese that will do ESR and capacitance test but not leakage at full operating Voltage.
                http://jimmyauw.com/wp-content/uploa.../1-Sencore.jpg

I have LC-75.
                Last edited by budm; 05-18-2015, 04:48 PM.
                Never stop learning

Comment

for someone with a handfull of monitors, it's cheaper just to do a full recap on them than buy equipment.
                  CRT monitors arent very forgiving places for caps anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                    "2. ESR meter: To measure capacitance. Too high leakage and things could act funny at the least. At the worst, the thing catches on fire. (REALLY BAD!!!!)" Simple ESR meter will not do capacitance, current leakage, etc. you can get cheap Chinese that will do ESR and capacitance test but not leakage at full operating Voltage.
                    http://jimmyauw.com/wp-content/uploa.../1-Sencore.jpg

I have LC-75.
                    How expensive?

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Finding someone who is good at fixing CRT's is becoming more rare by the day, and you wouldn't even want to pay them?

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                        How expensive?
                        Just do the search for them.
                        Never stop learning

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                          Finding someone who is good at fixing CRT's is becoming more rare by the day, and you wouldn't even want to pay them?
                          My dad said NO MONEY would be spent on getting these things fixed.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

theres a reason the only crt's i repair now are industrial,arcade machine,or antique.
                            nobody else is willing to foot the bill!
                            repair them yourself and learn something or recycle them.

Comment

i like open-frame monitors.
                              specially Electrohome G07's

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                                +1

My personal suggestion would be: if you have the space, stash these away now (like in your attic, basement, or closet) and get back to them when you get a bit more knowledge on electronics. Even if you are very serious about learning electronics, it probably won't be a good few years until you can repair one.

^ I did that with my first CRT monitor - a 17" KFC Smile CA6738SL, which stopped working in 2006. Turns out it was a power supply issue. I started messing with PC PSUs around 2007. And it wasn't about 2009-2010 or so that I finally was able to understand what was going on and fix it.

Finally, at least post the make and model numbers here. Should you have to throw some of them away, at least we can tell you which ones may be more "worthwhile" to keep. In general, though, that would be the 19" and 21" CRTs. 17" are worthwhile only if they are Trinitrons (i.e. made by Sony).

And a 17" weight about 45 lbs. 19" about 50-60 lbs, and the 21" CRTs are usually above 60 lbs but under 80". So you don't really need anyone who can lift 200-300 lbs. A person like that will be needed only if you want to move one of them 32"+ Sony flat tube CRT TVs - now those are real back-busters. A classmate and I found a 42" one about 2 weeks ago in the alley of a building. We could barely tilt it, let alone move it.

Comment

+1

My personal suggestion would be: if you have the space, stash these away now (like in your attic, basement, or closet) and get back to them when you get a bit more knowledge on electronics. Even if you are very serious about learning electronics, it probably won't be a good few years until you can repair one.

^ I did that with my first CRT monitor - a 17" KFC Smile CA6738SL, which stopped working in 2006. Turns out it was a power supply issue. I started messing with PC PSUs around 2007. And it wasn't about 2009-2010 or so that I finally was able to understand what was going on and fix it.

Finally, at least post the make and model numbers here. Should you have to throw some of them away, at least we can tell you which ones may be more "worthwhile" to keep. In general, though, that would be the 19" and 21" CRTs. 17" are worthwhile only if they are Trinitrons (i.e. made by Sony).

And a 17" weight about 45 lbs. 19" about 50-60 lbs, and the 21" CRTs are usually above 60 lbs but under 80". So you don't really need anyone who can lift 200-300 lbs. A person like that will be needed only if you want to move one of them 32"+ Sony flat tube CRT TVs - now those are real back-busters. A classmate and I found a 42" one about 2 weeks ago in the alley of a building. We could barely tilt it, let alone move it.
                                  It will take me a little bit, they are all stashed away, but I'll get the part #'s this afternoon when I have time.
                                  Last edited by TechGeek; 05-19-2015, 05:20 AM.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by popeye View Post

I second that. You do realize it is a LOT to ask someone to come to your place, and fix a few things, and for free.

We certainly can try to help you repair these through the forum!

-Ben
                                    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                                      We certainly can try to help you repair these through the forum!
                                      Yep, and it's technically free! Come on TechGeek, live up to your username! I live up to mine, I'm slow.........at learning, but reliable

Comment

I don't actually have that stuff. I'm looking to sell a Touchstone Telephony modem for between $200-$350. NOT right now, but maybe later.

EDIT: Make that $60-$75.
                                        Last edited by TechGeek; 05-19-2015, 02:53 PM.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                        X