Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really really weird!!!

First, a little story:
    OK so I plugged my Minecraft server in (it's been unplugged for a few days), and turned it on...
    The Foxconn splash screen, then: DISK BOOT ERROR ENTER SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER
    I was worried that my HDD was bad, but then I remembered that I had removed the two extra 250GB Seagate ES disks in there... Turns out I had unplugged the power from the IDE drive that's the boot drive and never plugged the power plug back in...
    So I fixed it, and tried to turn it on again.
    DISK BOOT ERROR ENTER SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER
    Shit!
    Went into the BIOS, did Restore Optimized Defaults, saved, tried again. Same thing.
    So I went back into the BIOS and went to boot settings thingy, and found that IDE0 master was the CD drive and IDE1 was a "Laxtnr 91GB"...WTF???
    I have a MAXTOR 100GB!!!
    So I closed BIOS, and let it sit and the DISK BOOT ERROR screen for a few minutes. Then I restarted, and this is the first time I've been happy to see Windows say that a boot file was corrupt and fail to start up. Why? Because that meant my hard drive wasn't a total goner! I rebooted and this time... SUCCESS!!!!!! Windows Server 2003...
    Great, I logged in, got to the desktop, and proceeded to plug my iomega 320GB USB hard drive (internally a Samsung drive) into the USB port.
    It didn't show up. WTF?
    so... it shows up in Computer Management>Disk Management but it has no drive letter assigned. Strange.
    Ejected it and tried it in another computer, it popped up fine!
    Dug out my 8GB SanDisk USB flash drive, plugged it in (it worked and showed up as E: and I copied my Miencraft files to it.
    Now I have backups.
    Now, the Question:
    WHAT THE HECK IS A LAXTNR 91GB DOING IN MY COMPUTER??? surely my Maxtor didn't take any laxatives?
    Seriously, what the heck happened?
    I'm going to try to restart this thing now and see what happens...
    Update:
    Upon shut down a cold boot it shows up in BIOS as a Maxtor 100GB like it's supposed to... and it boots up fine...
    OMG how weird
    Last edited by shovenose; 01-29-2012, 05:52 PM.

Re: Really really weird!!!

Check your drive cable.

'M' = 4d = 01001101
    'L' = 4c = 01001100

'O' = 4f = 01001111
    'N' = 4e = 01001110

Data line 0 is not working.

http://pinouts.ws/ata-ide-pinout.html

Check pin 17 of the cable for continuity.

Edit: might be data line 8, it's 16 bits wide (2 bytes at a time) and I don't remember the order. Check pin 4 too.

Comment

How the heck am I going to get my multimeter probes in there?
      A paperclip didn't work; I'm going to ask my mom for a needle

Comment

Update: with the help of 2 sewing needles, I have come to the conclusion that pins 4, 17, and a few other random ones, check good for continuity (my multimeter beeps)

Comment

All the leads you cut from capacitors and threw away... those fit in really well.
          sig files are for morons

Comment

You have a failing drive. Corruption of the text displayed in the BIOS is common when the drive is on its last legs. Given that it's a Maxtor, i'd just throw it away.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I set up my MC server so that every time a player goes on it asks them to donate money for a new case & HDD (the two things the server needs)... when I have those I'll be good to go

Comment

More likely you jostled the cable and made a bad connection when you were in there screwing around.
                Unplug the data cable on both ends that then put it back in...
                ... or try a different cable.
                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

image it now.
                  thats the type of symptom reported before these eat their firmware.
                  i can rewrite it but is not even worth the postage both ways to save it.and i repair just to recover data.the bearings get worn and oops a miswrite.got one here to recover from an anliam 3300mk.
                  its got the hdd death scream from hell!

Comment

I hate Maxtor
                    I put in a new cable so it's working fine (even though it seemed fine with the old cable after I got it to boot. The tricky part was to get it to boot)...
                    I'll wait for somebody on the server to donate a hard drive or some $$ for one... as it's running OK right now...

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                      "Laxtnr 91GB"
                      Wow, definitely looks like a bad IDE cable!

And unless it's a Maxtor whose model code is "6Exxxxx", they're good!
                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                        More likely you jostled the cable and made a bad connection when you were in there screwing around.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-Bwks3u5C0&t=0m5s
                        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Unplug the data cable on both ends that then put it back in...
                          ... or try a different cable.
                          Yup.
                          Bad connection at a pin or one of the wires inside the ribbon broke when you flexed the cable moving it around.
                          #1 suspect when you've just worked inside the case and a drive starts screwing up.
                          Either test or get rid of that cable so if it's bad it doesn't find it's way back into something.

-
                          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                          -

Comment

Yeah, that was along the lines of: "If it ain't broke don't fix it.".

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

Yup.
                              Bad connection at a pin or one of the wires inside the ribbon broke when you flexed the cable moving it around.
                              #1 suspect when you've just worked inside the case and a drive starts screwing up.
                              Either test or get rid of that cable so if it's bad it doesn't find it's way back into something.
                              The cable tested good but I'm going to get rid of it anyway.

Comment

The cable tested good but I'm going to get rid of it anyway.
                                The cable tested for continuity... it did NOT test good...
                                Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Originally posted by dood View Post
                                  The cable tested for continuity... it did NOT test good...
                                  What do you mean lol?

Comment

What do you mean lol?
                                    well, you tested form point A to point B.

that is only half of it.

what you didn't test was continuity to nearby wires. if it is shorted to another wire, then that could be an issue

on that note, also make sure that there is low resistance where it should be connected... the controllers can be picky about signal strength...
                                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Or, just chuck the questionable cable... I haven't had to buy one in years, and I still have a plentiful supply of them
                                      Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Working...
                                      X