Hanns-G 19" turns off. PSU overheated and bad caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hanns-G 19" turns off. PSU overheated and bad caps

I have a Hanns G 19" inch monitor i bought it second hand form a car boot. When I got the monitor home I plugged it in and the monitor worked for about 5 mins. Then it went blank. So I turned the monitor off and on and it then work for about 30 secs and then went blank again. So I took the monitor apart and saw that the power supply looked like it had got very hot as the metal around it was brown. I don't know if this is normal in a monitor. The power supply is 200-000-170DTL1 Version:A+. Also I have noticed that the 220uf 25 v capacitor is gone. What should I do, should I change the capacitor?
    Attached Files

Re: Hanns-G 19" turns off. PSU overheated and bad caps

That Mirage PSUs tend to run hot, or so I've heard around here in the forums.
    I have a bad experience with one of those in a Proview 700P (Sylvania CL-722). You should change the bank of caps in the yellow marked areas as a first step. They will be Teapo, Elite or CapXon, if not worse.
    Attached Files
    There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
    • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
    • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
    • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
    • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
    • Windows 10 Pro x64
    • GeForce GT1050
      2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

By the way, exactly what model is your Hanns-G?
      There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Looks to me like a combination of heat and cigarette smoke, does it smell of nicotine?

Comment

looks like someones ashtray filter.
          recap it.
          then wash your hands.
          that thing would need a bath before i could tolerate it in my home.
          yechhh.
          Last edited by kc8adu; 02-09-2009, 05:40 PM.

Comment

I don't know what model it is as the case doesn't say and It didn't come in the orginal box. The caps are Hec. What would be the best make to replace them with? Thanks for the help

Comment

Panasonic FC series, SamXon, Rubycon, Nichicon. I've used a few Panasonic FCs (as per forum members suggestions) and no problems so far. Just watch out for the correct size. And in the back of the case/shell there should be a sticker with the model info, serial, etc.
              • Windows 10 Pro x64
              • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Also the big 400 v 100uf cap looks like it has been very hot as the borad under it has gone browner with the heat. Should I replace it?

Comment

Originally posted by baileyboy
                  Also the big 400 v 100uf cap looks like it has been very hot as the borad under it has gone browner with the heat. Should I replace it?
                  Yes, replace all of the lytic caps.

Comment

Man the heatsink design on the PSU must be horrid in order to cause visible signs like that.

From your pics the hot offenders look like the main switching transformer, the heatsink over the HV inverter transformer (an extremely stupid move IMO), and the switching FET heatsink.

The inverter transformers are already working at high voltage and high frequency you don't need to be throwing any more heat out at them. Not to mention the extra stress that this heat is putting on the winding insulation.

The secondary cap bank looks to be generating the least heat out of all three due to the lighter color.

Even if none of them look bulged any bad cap would be toasted in this heat. The tiny cap towards the front left in your pic looks bulged from the pic.

Panny FCs all the way on this one if they can't survive here no cap can.
                    Last edited by Krankshaft; 02-10-2009, 01:22 PM.
                    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft
                      Panny FCs all the way on this one if they can't survive here no cap can.
                      hmm..

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Nippon-ChemiCo...742.m153.l1262

just a thought lol

125°C High temperature

Comment

Where is the best place to buy caps online?

Ps. I live in the UK

Comment

Here is one place:

http://uk.farnell.com/

Farnell In One in the UK.
                          Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

I had a Hanns-G 19" opened up today with an FSP PSU/Inverter but it didn't look like the photo's in the thread here.

Screen is model HC194D, is a 2006 model but brand new, still in box and plastics.

PSU/Inverter is: FSP043-2PI01.
                            Every cap in it is Capxon KF series. [Nearly exact match to Panny FC.]
                            Caps:
                            2x 1000uF 10v 10x16mm
                            3x 470uf 25v 10x16mm
                            1x 470uF 10v 8x11.5mm
                            1x 22uF 50v 6x11mm
                            1x 100uF 400v 18x35mm
                            [Last two are not in that can size in the data sheet.]

Main/Graphics board caps:
                            5x 330uF 16v Teapo SC , 8x11.5mm
                            1x 220uF 16v Teapo SY , 8x11.5mm
                            2x 100uF 25v Teapo SC , 6x11mm
                            1x 22uF 25v Teapo SH , 6x11mm
                            4x 10uF 16v G-Luxon SX , 4mm (on 6mm space)
                            Mann-Made Global Warming.
                            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                            -

Comment

Would these caps be good enough or should I get some better ones?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1000UF-25V-105...1%7C240%3A1318

Comment

uhm... no brand.. nothing.. o.O

if you're going to buy them on ebay (with paypal) i'd suggest this shop here..

Comment

Is samsung a good brand of caps?

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic
                                    uhm... no brand.. nothing.. o.O

if you're going to buy them on ebay (with paypal) i'd suggest this shop here..
                                    Good choice.
                                    • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                    • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Originally posted by baileyboy
                                      Is samsung a good brand of caps?
                                      -> No

Look for:
                                      Rubycon, Panasonic, Sanyo, Chemicon, Nichicon, Elna, Hitano, NIC Components.

Brand is only about 1/3 of what matters.
                                      You need to get good enough 'grade' too. [ESR and Ripple ratings.]
                                      Also stay with caps that are rated for 105 degrees C.

Panasonic FC series is easy to find in many sizes (without going to eBay and in or outside the US) and are good enough grade.

There are several dealers on eBay that sell counterfeit caps.
                                      Counterfeit Sanyo, Chemicon, and Rubycon are not uncommon.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                      -

Comment

Where would you recommend getting caps?

Comment

Working...
                                        X