X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hello all,
    I'm TC and live in Chattanooga, TN. I've been in electronics since '64. I've worked in two-way radio and paging up 'til retirement (not my idea) this year.

I've gained quite a bit of knowledge and help from this forum and it is a great resource. It eliminates a lot of head scratching looking for a problem others have already found and shared.

As the username implies, at 67 I still go roller skating regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
      As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread \"clean\" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
      So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
      where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said \"w00t.. they have a forum\"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..
      hello

Comment

My name is Trish, hence the user name keithntrish. I live in the US and have been working with computers for a long time - my first recollection was a computer that had DOS based pacman! I worked on computers with windows 98, xp, and vista, but got away from it when I became a nurse 8 years ago. So I haven't done anything really since then. Trying to get back in the swing of things.

So, with that being said, hello to all and thank you for allowing me to join I look forward to expanding my knowledge base with you all

Trish

Comment

New Members

Hi,

My name is Tiago and i'm from Portugal.

I'm Architect but always work in repairs.

Best Regards,
          Tiago

Comment

Hi,

Comment

Hi all,
              my name is John and i live in Kozani - Greece.
              I 'm 46 electric enginear and i like electronics and robotics and little CNC. I like to fix things but i have never (almost) managed to fix a pc or laptop mobo. I hope to do it with your kindly help.

Thank you for acceptance

Comment

hello everyone; i'm looking for some guidance on repair my tv problems, and looked that i landed in the right place

Comment

Hi
                  From Mississippi. Retired from Electronics but want to stay active.

Comment

hello all
                    Sharpie here, I actually joined a few years back for some info but only started to explore more into replacing bad caps & more on the side. I work full time as a service tech for a company that does Laser printer/copier repairs out of south central PA (mostly HP branded equipment).

Comment

Hi everyone.

Mi name is Alejandro and I live in Spain. I work as an IT consultant and I like electronics from my younger years but never do nothing seriously with it. Now at my 45 years I am going to school again and learning what I always liked.

Thank you for the acceptance.

Comment

Hello everyone! My name is Nick. I'm a prior electronics technician in the military and its been a while since I've touched a circuit board, prob around 2003. I'm here to learn a bit and get my tv fixed. Hope to meet some great people.

Comment

I got a case of bad caps and trying to find a solution for it. LG 50PC1DR. It has two vertical lines at times as well. But it was basically had for free, and when it works has awesome HD picture. All of a sudden, there i was, minding my own business, and the picture goes off with sound only. I see a 16V cap and a 10V cap on the power board puffed up a little. I'm going to try those and see how far I get. Oh well.

Comment

hi everyone..
                            i am a newbie here and i hope i will learn a lot from this forum..

ty

Comment

Great site, I always try to fix everything the first time around and go from there. Decided to join because last couple of tvs seem to only last a few years. Great info her for DIYers!

Comment

Hi all, just dropping a quick hello to everyone here.

To be honest, I've signed up because my TV started acting up on me a couple of days ago, and someone on another board reffered this site.

Comment

Hi folks!

My name is Ozren and got some experience in TV and PC repairing. This forum is very useful for rookie like me. I hope to gain knowledge and maybe sometimes hopefully contribute to the community.

Greetings from Croatia!!

Comment

Hello techies!!!

My Name is Dave. I'm just a single dad trying to turn my enthusiasm for being a gear and solder geek into a business. I wish you all the best and happy hunting for the information you need from this site.

Comment

Hello all my name is Mel. I live in South Wales. I joined to hopefully learn something from the experts here. :-D

Comment

Hi All:
                                        I hope this is where you post introduction. I have a Samsung Plasma(I know, sorry about that) that I wanted to check on before I pitch it into the trash bin. Once I get approved for threads, I will post the problem
                                        Thanks
                                        Doug

Comment

I run an independent electronics repair shop. Have been doing component level repair for a while, but sometimes need to quit being so independent. ;-)
                                          Mainly work on televisions and computers. Have done some custom electronics builds on occasion.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                                          X