No announcement yet.

Toshiba (Vestel) 50UL2063DB - bad COF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba (Vestel) 50UL2063DB - bad COF?

Originally posted by Russ17 View Post
    I did an online software search while it was on, and no online software upgrade was found.
    from start i wrote this MB 17MB230 are funny... it lacks with image quality and the white line you claiming on.. also it will not find firmware update online..
    so need to do it manual after you put the firmware on fat32 usb and insert it in tv.. press menu followed with 1-5-0-5 then ok when it ask you.

also i noticed there are update to PQ UHD of this boards as yours from the photo of S.M it say the PQ version SVN:293286 the new SVN:293286c but many owner say it didnt help or there no change and some say yes there are change LOL

i will put it here but i will not advice you to do it in case you dont like.

unzip the file you will have pq folder inside it one file... put this folder on usb format fat32 insert it in tv and go to service menu usb operation.. after it done you need to unplug the tv from wall then plug it in again so it will install and you can see the change of the verison under S.M PQ
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Diah View Post
      from start i wrote this MB 17MB230 are funny... it lacks with image quality and the white line you claiming on.. also it will not find firmware update online..
      so need to do it manual after you put the firmware on fat32 usb and insert it in tv.. press menu followed with 1-5-0-5 then ok when it ask you.

also i noticed there are update to PQ UHD of this boards as yours from the photo of S.M it say the PQ version SVN:293286 the new SVN:293286c but many owner say it didnt help or there no change and some say yes there are change LOL

i will put it here but i will not advice you to do it in case you dont like.

unzip the file you will have pq folder inside it one file... put this folder on usb format fat32 insert it in tv and go to service menu usb operation.. after it done you need to unplug the tv from wall then plug it in again so it will install and you can see the change of the version under S.M PQ
      I haven't had time to do the software yet, and I need to get the screen to stay on long enough to see the instructions!

I have found that if I touch the LVDS cable connection to the T-Con, when the TV is on, it can improve the picture and sometimes restore the picture if it is not displaying an image.

In other news, I have been given a JVC LT-50CF890 with a cracked screen (but otherwise full working order), which, according to Google searches, uses a VES500QNDH-2D-N41 panel and 17MB170 Mainboard, although I haven't checked if these are the actual boards and panel inside this actual TV yet.
      Do you think I could take all the boards and cables from the JVC LT-50CF890 (PSU/MB/TCON/IR/WiFi/LVDS Cable) and connect them to the Toshiba TV Panel type VES500QNDP-2D-N43?

Comment

I haven't had time to do the software yet, and I need to get the screen to stay on long enough to see the instructions!

I have found that if I touch the LVDS cable connection to the T-Con, when the TV is on, it can improve the picture and sometimes restore the picture if it is not displaying an image.

In other news, I have been given a JVC LT-50CF890 with a cracked screen (but otherwise full working order), which, according to Google searches, uses a VES500QNDH-2D-N41 panel and 17MB170 Mainboard, although I haven't checked if these are the actual boards and panel inside this actual TV yet.
        Do you think I could take all the boards and cables from the JVC LT-50CF890 (PSU/MB/TCON/IR/WiFi/LVDS Cable) and connect them to the Toshiba TV Panel type VES500QNDP-2D-N43?
        i think you need just take the LVDS from this JVC to put it on yours in case the T-CON side socket passed , it was to me too in thought and i did write it before.. it seem when you move the tv the issue come or it work straight.

but it could be not the LVDS.. its just the pressure you push could in case screen glass some where brocken stay in touch.. so need also inspect after take the bezel out
        Last edited by Diah; 03-01-2022, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Vestel_MB_PQ_AQ function

in case you are willing to switch MB this is the compatible table with it function of PQ/AQ
          Attached Files

Comment

I tried the 17mb170 complete with t-con and LVDS cable (t-con has a different socket for lvds cable and it has a completely different layout to the toshiba t-con) but this did not work. The backlighting was on immediately at power on (Toshiba 17mb230 takes 3 seconds before backlighting is enabled ) and no image was displayed at all.
            I did upgrade the software, but still the same, with usually a blank , backlit screen, but occasionally a picture which has interference caused by area of brightness.

I think.it is time to disassemble the screen and examine the connection tabs.

Thanks for the MB compatibility tables.

Comment

I tried the 17mb170,,, The backlighting was on immediately at power on (Toshiba 17mb230 takes 3 seconds before backlighting is enabled ) and no image was displayed at all.
              NB170 are fire TV ( android ) 230 are Linux had boot sequences

EDIT. BTW can you backup yours PQ file .. its the same way as you did with sw and other profile but this time the file you put on usb with name Dwnloadpq.mb230
              Last edited by Diah; 03-02-2022, 03:56 PM.

Comment

NB170 are fire TV ( android ) 230 are Linux had boot sequences

EDIT. BTW can you backup yours PQ file .. its the same way as you did with sw and other profile but this time the file you put on usb with name Dwnloadpq.mb230
                I can try backing up the PQ file - what will this achieve?

Would you expect the JVC MB170/T-con combination to work on the Toshiba panel? The panels have a similar, but not the same, model type, but buffer board and ribbon cables are the same.

Comment

Would you expect the JVC MB170/T-con combination to work on the Toshiba panel? The panels have a similar, but not the same, model type, but buffer board and ribbon cables are the same.
                  i need to see the LVDS socket of the 170 from both side MB and T-CON complete and if you didnt upload before yours original t-con lvds socket need to take a look too
                  Last edited by Diah; 03-02-2022, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Photos of Toshiba MB230 LVDS and T-con LVDS

Edit, the MB LVDS Cable looks like it is not inserted properly, but I have removed it and reinstated it (clicked into place) with no change.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Russ17; 03-04-2022, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Photos of JVC MB170 LVDS & T-Con LVDS
                      Attached Files

Comment

On closer inspection, the JVC T-con is different to the Toshiba T-Con and the JVC panel distribution board is TOTALLY different to the Toshiba panel distribution board, so no surprise it didnt work.

The MB130 that came from a JVC LT-40C880N did give the correct (partial) picture on the JVC LT-50CF890 , even though the panel is cracked.

Comment

pin layouts all passed... but it will not work. because panel driver on MB170 .so format ( android platforum ), MB130 & 230 are linux .bin

Comment

it could work if you do hard reset to Mb170 fire tv to register the new panel or to flash firmware update on it... but i think this boards recieve from amazon the update

Comment

So I opened the screen of the JVC, as the bezel retainer is different to previous TV's I have worked on.

The screen of the JVC (type VES500QNDH-2D-N41) uses COG (chip on glass) for the gate drivers, so no chance of removing the gate drivers on the right side of the screen.

Assuming the Toshiba (VES500QNDP-2D-N43) uses the same COG gate drivers, the only hope of a repair is to isolate the supply voltage to those COG drivers.
                              I see that VGL and VGH voltages are generated on the T-Con, not the distribution board. I tried to trace the VGL & VGL from the T-Con, to the distribution boards, but neither of them seem to go to the distribution board through the ribbons.

Any thoughts on how I might "disable" the right side screen gate drivers, by isolation or cutting of tracks on the t-con or the distributionboard for the right side?

This might allow the left side gate drivers to do all the work, and give a full picture.

If no option is available, the screen is scrap.
                              Last edited by Russ17; 03-04-2022, 03:05 PM.

Comment

i don't believe on any cut... all what you wrote above with out photos will be no meaning.
                                however on the right side at the t-con socket you have tp pol and pol2 try to block aall together or just pol &2 or just tp. use type method.

Comment

i don't believe on any cut... all what you wrote above with out photos will be no meaning.
                                  however on the right side at the t-con socket you have tp pol and pol2 try to block aall together or just pol &2 or just tp. use type method.
                                  I will try to block (using insulating tape method) TP1, POL & POL2.

I have attached a photo of the top left corner of the JVC screen, after removing the bezel, showing there are no
                                  COF on the edge of the screen.

I see VCOM_L and VCON_R on the T-Con. Can I try to block these signals?
                                  Attached Files

Comment

you should take out the bezel of the toshiba. before you do any pins masking. to exam the condition of down side where the cofs ribbon connect to the screen

Comment

you should take out the bezel of the toshiba. before you do any pins masking. to exam the condition of down side where the cofs ribbon connect to the screen
                                      Do you think the Toshiba screen will have side COF when the JVC does not have side COF? They are similar screen numbers.

I did consider taking the bezel off the Toshiba, but I am worried that I will crack the screen, as the bezel is very tightly fitted.

By blocking signals on the t-con ribbon socket, I can prove if the screen can work at all without risking damage by cracking the screen.

If I take the bezel off, and find that the COF ribbons on the bottom of the screen are faulty, I will not be able to repair them, so taking the bezel off and screen out will be a last resort, and will be done only to prove if the COF ribbons are damaged.

Comment

Do you think the Toshiba screen will have side COF when the JVC does not have side COF? They are similar screen numbers.

I did consider taking the bezel off the Toshiba, but I am worried that I will crack the screen, as the bezel is very tightly fitted.

By blocking signals on the t-con ribbon socket, I can prove if the screen can work at all without risking damage by cracking the screen.

If I take the bezel off, and find that the COF ribbons on the bottom of the screen are faulty, I will not be able to repair them, so taking the bezel off and screen out will be a last resort, and will be done only to prove if the COF ribbons are damaged.
                                        No side cofs.
                                        only early UHD LCD was with side COFs. now day start from 2016/17 LCDs technick devloped allot..even we can find now LCD size 55 work only with 6 COFs, were before years 8 or 10 was on LCD.

you said when you do pressure you got good change.. so the correct repair steps to inspect screen before any things to do. because the masking will not show you any result you are waiting for and there are other cause / reason.

Comment

No side cofs.
                                          only early UHD LCD was with side COFs. now day start from 2016/17 LCDs technick devloped allot..even we can find now LCD size 55 work only with 6 COFs, were before years 8 or 10 was on LCD.

you said when you do pressure you got good change.. so the correct repair steps to inspect screen before any things to do. because the masking will not show you any result you are waiting for and there are other cause / reason.
                                          Thank you the information and advice.

I can inspect the Tcon and MB LVDS connections. The issue is the same with the two different (compatible) t-cons I have.
                                          I have been experimenting with pressing the Tcon LVDS connection, but I cannot reproduce the issue, so for now, I think I must look elsewhere.

I haven't been pressing the screen connection ribbons.

Advice? Any voltages to check? Oscilloscope waveforms?

Comment

Working...
                                          X