Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sony XBR65X810C - Completely Dead - no lights.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony XBR65X810C - Completely Dead - no lights.

Hello
    Hope everyone enjoyed their holidays.

I realized I did not follow all the instructions for posting, so trying to do it right this time.
    Previous post: Interpreting Service Manual Troubleshooting Steps.

TV is completely dead, no lights,
    It has a bottom centre white stdby light, it does not come on, the optical socket does not light up. when I insert a usb stick with LED it does not light up.
    I tried reset by unpluging an holding vol.- button.

Pictures of boards included.

Power board seems to be providing the right outputs.

Testing GL6 Power board
    Main board connector disconnected
    Pins: (Rest of the pins = 0V)
    STBY3.3: 3.5V
    BL_ERR: 7.0V
    Main board connector connected
    Pins: (Rest of the pins = 0V)
    AC_OFF_DET: 3.5V
    POWER_ON: 3.5V
    BL_ERR: 2.4V
    REG12V: 12.7V

Pins: STDBY and Tcon_ON shorted
    TCon_VCC12V: 12.7V

Backlights connector (Main board connected)
    PinsRelative to GND)
    +OUT1: 98.6V
    -OUT1: 0V
    Pins: STDBY and BL ON shorted
    Pins: (Relative to GND)
    +: 220V
    -: 80V
    No Backlights ON

The problem is the main boards are very expensive and hard to find, so want to eliminate everything else.
    Would like to try and force the Backlights on to make sure they work.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: Sony XBR65X810C - Completely Dead - no lights.

Adding my Power Board test results in an Excel table format.
    Attached Files

Comment

this Sony as most other models the front LED indicator can be turned off from setting. and now yours set look its turned off so its not dead as you think.

you have BL error register on the socket you read the voltage on.. so the main boards shut off and go to protection. mode.. its 65 size. and you need to take the panel a part. with out panel the set can be working as i think you have IPS panel from LG

Comment

Hi Diah,
        thank you for your reply,
        I'm not that well versed.
        Does the BL error mean there is an issue with the Backlight circuit? Or are you saying the LCD panel is bad?
        Should I take the panel apart and test the LEDs? Trying to understand better.
        Thanks again for your expertise.

Comment

Originally posted by michalk3777@gmail.com View Post
          Hi Diah,
          thank you for your reply,
          I'm not that well versed.
          Does the BL error mean there is an issue with the Backlight circuit? Or are you saying the LCD panel is bad?
          Should I take the panel apart and test the LEDs? Trying to understand better.
          Thanks again for your expertise.
          BL error register 99.9% issue at LED BL, not at its circuit.
          i think you need to take the panel apart to access LEDs in case you dont have equipment's to test them while panel in place.

Comment

Great thank you. Finally some hope for this TV.
            Much appreciated.
            I’ll be taking it apart tonight.

Comment

Sorry for delay, something has come up and did not have time to work on it, but should be able to get on it this week.

Comment

Finally got around to taking the panel apart.

Tested all the LEDs by supplying 18v to each strip and all of them light up.
                See picture.
                Unfortunately during installing the LCD panel it cracked.

The TV is toast now.

Just for my learning what would be next step.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by michalk3777@gmail.com View Post
                  Finally got around to taking the panel apart.

Tested all the LEDs by supplying 18v to each strip and all of them light up.
                  See picture.
                  Unfortunately during installing the LCD panel it cracked.

The TV is toast now.

Just for my learning what would be next step.
                  one strip light on with your test doesn't mean they are 100% okay. you need with diode mode test each LED alone ,when they light on dimm on cathode anode , then when you reverse the probe of DM you should have zinner diode forward voltage reading on yours meter.

Comment

For any future person that wants to trouble shoot their 2015 XBR Sony when it's dead.

It's a mainboard. No need to look further. If the TV is appearing dead, is an XBR model and the last letter is C indicating 2015 as the manufacturing year then you have a bad main board. Doesn't matter what size, or series within that year, not a single model from that year had power board failures unless due to an external force such as a power surge. I have serviced close to 1,000 of these, never have I seen a power board failure for 2015 which wasn't caused by a power surge.

I know that's not what you want to hear because those main boards are insane expensive and hard to find but that's what it is. I see them going on encompass for $600-$900 dependent on the model and no one wants to spend that kind of cash on a board. I get it, but that doesn't mean the failure is somewhere else. (cheaper repair services are available)

Second, to test LED's don't remove the screen especially if this is your first time. These sets are very difficult to remove the screens on and are not as easy as your other generic LED sets. They usually have adhesive holding the TV that require a lot of patience to remove.

Instead, disconnect the main board from the power supply, and LED driver if applicable. Also disconnect the T-con from the power supply. The only thing connected to the power supply should be the LED's and or LED driver and LED's if your set has an LED driver board.
                    Then jump 5v to the PS_ON and 5V to the BL_ON pins on your power supply connector. Then apply power. This will turn your backlight on.
                    No need for an LED tester, use your power supply as your tester. If you want to check on proper voltage draw then do live voltage checks if you think that the LED's are lighting up but still defective and drawing to much power. Just a heads up but the TV is really good at detecting LED failures, it will throw a 6 or 4 blink code. So if you don't have a 4 or 6 blink code then you really don't need to test your led's.

Comment

I have 2 of these TVs. What is it that fails on these main boards? Is it the eemc or the BGA etc…

Comment

Nick, I have a XBR65X850F that periodically does not turn on. Tv plays fine a day or 2 then it wont turn on. Unplugged from the socket for a minute, then it comes on and acts normal for a few more days. Do you think this symptom related to main board or power supply. My friend is bringing it to me tomorrow to look at.

Comment

I would say main board first. Try flashing new software and doing a factory reset, then see how it works

Comment

Originally posted by tiki66 View Post
                            I would say main board first. Try flashing new software and doing a factory reset, then see how it works
                            Did factory reset and tv updated to newest version. Tv works great when it comes on. My friend said when it does not want to come on. He hears a click.

Comment

He probably hears a relay on PSU. Main board starts PSU but the main board itself doesn't start.

Comment

So he brings it over today and it fires right up. Go figure. Ill have to wait until it dies again to do some diagnostics.

Comment

I think that those sets had SW problem that sometimes they won't turn on from standby without power cycle, but it was solved a while ago. Maybe he had very old SW version installed.

Comment

Working...
                                  X