Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung 60" LED blank screen and WILL NOT STAY OFF

Originally posted by budm View Post
    Shorted out LED in the series connected LED's will still allow the LED strings to light up, open LED will cause the whole LED not to light up. Too many shorted out LED will also cause the LED circuit shutdown. Shorted circuit in one of the LED string to the chassis will also cause the shutdown.
    What kind of the LED strips/assemblies are used in your TV.
    I run into panels that have one of the LED strip's wire nicked by the chassis and cause intermittent shorts circuits to the chassis.
    BTW, do you have LED tester?
    Here is the link to exactly what I purchased from Shopjimmy:

https://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bn...-12-strips.htm

So under normal, wall mounted use, what would cause an led to short circuit? When I installed the strips I used strong double sided tape to secure them to the chassis.

Also, if an led is shorted, would it be off or would it still light up? I see no darkspots when the screen is lit and blank.

Comment

you might try further "panel orientation" tests. How about flipping the panel "upside down"... ie. top down, bottom up. Then also try side up / side down. See if things change.

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
        See if things change.
        In regards to resistance on the wires, or in overall behavior?

Comment

overall behavior first.... trying to find a "normal" position (ie. vertical position) where the tv operates properly... then once there you can start checking things to form a baseline along with possibly understanding what the difference is from "proper upright position"... basically, it costs nothing to do the "flips"... and proceed from there carefullly especially with the meters that you have. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
            overall behavior first.... trying to find a "normal" position (ie. vertical position) where the tv operates properly... then once there you can start checking things to form a baseline along with possibly understanding what the difference is from "proper upright position"... basically, it costs nothing to do the "flips"... and proceed from there carefullly especially with the meters that you have. :-)
            Tried all different orientations and no change. However, I believe I found where the problem resides, and that is the backlights. While they were on and flashing, I started smelling hot electronics. I smelled around all of the boards and nothing. The smell was coming through the vent hole in the attached picture.

Edit:
            I'm preparing myself to open up the panel for the third time.. But I have a few questions for. If an LED itself is shorted, in this particular TV, would the rest of the lights be working and that one would be off, or would it still be on? If it's shorted, can it be desoldered and replaced (I have the original set still)? And finally, if it's a short at the connector between strips, can that be repaired (ie. Electrical tape behind it)?

I'm not up for purchasing a whole new set again as these are out of warranty now.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by x_orange90_x; 01-15-2020, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Ok, looks like you need to get in there again, wonder if this is one of those models where a problem on the powerboard keeps messing up the backlights or if you have just a backlight short, bare wire, or some such.

Comment

With that burn smell going on, I'm thinking the problem should be visible maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                  With that burn smell going on, I'm thinking the problem should be visible maybe.
                  That's what I'm hoping for. It seemed to be originating from near the bottom center, which it where the strips connect. Perhaps the connector it's arcing on the frame when voltage is applied?

So in the likelihood it's something I can easily repair, what should my expectations as far as life expectancy? I never used them at full brightness, but whatever is happening now makes me fear that their life span has been dramatically decreased.

Comment

I think these pictures are self explanatory...
                    Attached Files

Comment

You have bad contact resistance on the connector so it is heated up like that.
                      Never stop learning
                      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                        You have bad contact resistance on the connector so it is heated up like that.
                        Can I repair this or does this strip need to be replaced?

Edit:

Trying to pull the strips back to place something anti-cunductive resulted in the connector falling apart.

Checked eBay and someone wants nearly $20 for a single used strip. So, could I remove the connector and solder wires between the connection points?
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by x_orange90_x; 01-15-2020, 04:07 PM.

Comment

I would just remove both plugs and connect them with wires, then make sure non of the connections touch the metal panel. Then also inspect the other connectors while it is apart.
                          It looks like they had poor solder connections between the plug and the strip, Then it started arcing and burnt the trace. So you might want to resolder ALL the strip plugs
                          Last edited by R_J; 01-15-2020, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                            I would just remove both plugs and connect them with wires, then make sure non of the connections touch the metal panel. Then also inspect the other connectors while it is apart.
                            It looks like they had poor solder connections between the plug and the strip, Then it started arcing and burnt the trace. So you might want to resolder ALL the strip plugs
                            Ok I'll do that then.

One of the light spreaders popped off when I was removing the strip. I don't have any super glue, but I do have Loctite SI 595 Clear RTV Silicone Adhesive... Would this work to reattach the spreader? The silicone is supposedly good up to 450°F.

Comment

Funny a brand new strip is of such poor quality, time for a refund on that junk.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                                Funny a brand new strip is of such poor quality, time for a refund on that junk.
                                I know! Unfortunately Shopjimmy only has a 180 day warranty. These are now roughly 14 months old. Should last years longer imo. And they're listing kinda brags about the 'redesigned' connector that is supposedly better.

I know I sound cheap asking this, but I don't have the usual repair items at hand right now, and I really want to just get this thing back together and find it if it works.... But, Clear RTV silicone adhesive.. Can I use it to reattach the light spreader that popped off AND to remount the strip to the inside of the chassis? If not I will go get super glue and double sided tape tomorrow.

Comment

I would notify Shopjimmy and show them the pictures of the failures and see what they will say.
                                  BTW, I am glad we got down to the cause of the problem.
                                  Never stop learning
                                  Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                  http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

I emailed them and even stated I knew the warranty was way past. I wasn't really trying to get a free replacement or anything, but damn, their response was essentially "sorry the warranty is expired, we can't do anything. Here's a coupon code for 10% off"
                                    I replied and sent them the pictures and just said I wanted their technical department to be aware of the failure of their product.

Anyway, I just went and picked up double sided tape and super glue, so I'm about to start working on it now. I'll pay a follow-up when finished.

Comment

After removing the connectors I can see it's burnt straight through down to the aluminum backing. I'm afraid if I solder a wire to it that it will end up arcing or electrifying the entire aluminum strip AND chassis when mounted.

I'm going to try and see if two of my old strips (the originals out of this TV) are will work and probably use them instead. I hate to have to resort to it because they probably don't have that great of life expectancy left in them
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by x_orange90_x; 01-16-2020, 03:44 PM.

Comment

I replaced the strip with one of the original in which i half-ass tested and seen each led blink, but upon reassembly and inspection it is bad. Good news is that upon plugging in the TV it was in standby, and turning it on resulted in a full successful powerup with everything functioning as it should... Except for backlights. So either i coherse SJ into replacing this one strip, or I purchase a used one from eBay :P
                                        Last edited by x_orange90_x; 01-16-2020, 08:03 PM.

Comment

I'm going to have to resort to using a string of the original lights, if I can find a set that works. Is it possible for me to test the Backlights outside of the TV? I seen it done inside of the TV with 9v batteries, but as I said that was inside and plugged in. I bought a bunch of 9v batteries but couldn't get the stands I was checking to light up.

Also, when I have the panel apart, is there a way to trick the LEDs into being on without the panel connected to the tcon?

Comment

Working...
                                          X